project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What's a good 2.2.1. squad loadout?  (Read 22646 times)

Ildamos

What's a good 2.2.1. squad loadout?
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:27:07 pm »
Hello!

I am playing v2.2.1. of this game. What's a good loadout? I read from a previous post that heavy weapons are not worth it at this development phase (no "'2x2' aliens implemented yet" or some such thing) so I'm leaving the FTs and the MGs at home.

So is this any good? >>

My 8-man team
Sniper
Sniper
Medic (SMG)
Medic (SMG)
Bolter (this is a heavy right but it's versatile so I'm keeping it)
Grenade Launcher
Assault Rifle
Assault Rifle

Thanks for any helpful replies!

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What's a good 2.2.1. squad loadout?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:24:24 pm »
Really depends on the map, tactics and difficulty setting. As of 2.2.1, reaction fire is extremely effective, even more so with sniper rifles. Some people here equip 7 or 8 guys in the team with them.

A good mix like yours works for me. Others divide their groups into close combat strike teams and long range supporters, and that works as well. I think that's a cool aspect of the game, you can put all kinds of different combat doctrines to effective use (at least on the lower difficulty settings, haven't tried the harder ones yet).

Btw, I have one gal with a high score in heavy, and I have her carry around an MG and blast away with it as much as possible, just because it's fun ;) I use it like a kind of heavy assault rifle. Don't miss out on the fun just because you don't need heavy weapons *g*

Ildamos

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »
Thanks!

About the MGs - meh; I find the TU consumption too painful. I hope in 2.3 those badass aliens will show to make heavy weaps viable.  ;D

odie

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:03 am »
2.2.1??

My dear Ildamos.

6 x Sniper Rifles (Switching to full bolter when they are ready).
1 Rocket Launcher
1 Stun Rod. (Who has a spare in case charges run out)

Later on in game....

4 snipers
2 bolters (who carries stun rods each)
1 Rocket launcher
1 stun rodder wif grenade

Better still later on....

6 bolters (all stunners)
1 rocket launcer
1 heavy laser.

lol

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »
I prefer this mix:

1-2 snipers (also equipped with laser/particle pistols)
3-4 assault (laser/particle rifles)
1-2 heavy (1 flamethrower + laser pistol, machine gun/heavy laser + particle pistol/plasma blaster)
1-2 close combat (particle/laser pistol, grenade/stun rod)

really depends on the mission and injuries (once had to have 4 heavies since all my assault troops got injured).

you dont really need dedicated medics as everyone can carry a medikit in their backpack or holster.
i find the bolters kinda crap compared to the laser/particle weapons.  plasma is overrated since it has absolute crap range.

h0mbre

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »
I playing v2.2.1

My preference is as with the original games is:

I deploy my 8man squad into 4x2 man teams:

1x soldier w/ rocket launcher and med kit & w/ loads of grenades in the holster to keep the TU spending down...
1x soldier w/ either sniper/machine gun/assault rifle and with med kit w/ loads of grenades in the holster to keep the TU spending down...

I always move them little by little enough with plenty of reaction time to shoot at those blasted aliens with they hit the stage... :-) works well for me...

Nightranger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:52:59 pm »
Interesting reading...

I start with 2 snipers, 4 assault rifles, 2 machine guns.  2 of the 8 carry grenade launchers in their backpacks.  Everyone who can carry a medkit has one and then load up on grenades.

When the technology becomes available, I upgrade the 2 snipers to Bolter rifles, 2 of the assault rifles go to particle beam rifles, keep the 2 machine guns and the other 2 assault rifles get plasma or particle pistols and stun rods.

Generally I work them in groups of 4, but on occasion, they pair up.  At that point, it's usually just who can cover who.

odie

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 05:14:32 am »
Interesting reading...

I start with 2 snipers, 4 assault rifles, 2 machine guns.  2 of the 8 carry grenade launchers in their backpacks.  Everyone who can carry a medkit has one and then load up on grenades.

When the technology becomes available, I upgrade the 2 snipers to Bolter rifles, 2 of the assault rifles go to particle beam rifles, keep the 2 machine guns and the other 2 assault rifles get plasma or particle pistols and stun rods.

Generally I work them in groups of 4, but on occasion, they pair up.  At that point, it's usually just who can cover who.

Nightranger,

Interesting..... u did not consider laser tech in your later part of 2.2.1?? They overwhelm your plasma stuff in terms of range and well, survivability.

Ildamos

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »
Lol! I forgot about this thread.  ;D

Six snipers are too absurd for me Odie. I don't know but even in shooter games, I really detest snipers. Maybe it's what I've observed in the early version of Counter Strike back when everybody was using snipers in matches and used them to assault the mansion. After that, I detested games that used snipers heavily. In movies --- and I suppose in RL --- you don't send in a squad that's more than 50% snipers. They operate alone, act as scouts, and generally compose a small % of a squad.

Yes, I remember you mentioning that you were a soldier and things like this happen but I don't know, I just don't fancy the idea of a sniper-heavy team.

I suppose maps will fix this. Introducing maps with both cramped AND wide-open spaces will necessitate the need for more balanced squads.

The devs could also design solely-CQB maps and solely long-range fighting maps. (Hmm! That's a good idea!  ;D)

Titan

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 08:01:36 pm »
I start the game with one explosives person, two riflemen, and a scout/medic.

The explosives expert uses either the grenade launcher or rocket launcher, which i switch at base depending on the map I'll be fighting on. This guy keeps most of his original tech. Only things that change are a new sidearm as they become available and new ammo for the grenade launcher (Pb grenades)

One of the riflemen uses a riot shotgun, the other a assault rifle. They both move on to laser weapons.

The scout/medic gets an SMG to start, but then uses dual particle pistols.

odie

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
Lol! I forgot about this thread.  ;D

Six snipers are too absurd for me Odie. I don't know but even in shooter games, I really detest snipers. Maybe it's what I've observed in the early version of Counter Strike back when everybody was using snipers in matches and used them to assault the mansion. After that, I detested games that used snipers heavily. In movies --- and I suppose in RL --- you don't send in a squad that's more than 50% snipers. They operate alone, act as scouts, and generally compose a small % of a squad.

Haha, yupz i know its absurd. Btw, i love playing the role of a sniper in alot of games. lol. And i was one of your destastable sniper in CS. lol.

Well, u do send in snipers squads to get rid of small missions like that of UFOAI (where we have exactly 4 enemies. lol).

As for snipers, they NEVER operate alone. They are always working in pairs (in real life too. Yupz. experience in soldier's life tells me so). They cover one another's backside (if u know wat i mean..... sounds like that variety show!! lol).

Yes, I remember you mentioning that you were a soldier and things like this happen but I don't know, I just don't fancy the idea of a sniper-heavy team.

Welcome to the real world. :P Where the world actually sends 2 squads or more snipers to snipe a certain high lvl enemy (like commanders or CO-Commanding officer or BO-brigade officer).

I suppose maps will fix this. Introducing maps with both cramped AND wide-open spaces will necessitate the need for more balanced squads.

The devs could also design solely-CQB maps and solely long-range fighting maps. (Hmm! That's a good idea!  ;D)
Yes, i agree. If its going to be a cramped map, definately will change my style of play. Even of now, i have changed my tactics......

I usually use this squad layout now:
1 EOD expert (specializing in rocket launcher and explosives).
1 Machine gunner (for that wonderful killing maniac of 25 rounds bursts).
3 snipers (to cover the rest' asses with their coil guns).
2 assaulters (usually armed with laser rifles or assault m16s-like weapons)
1 other weapon (like stuns, grenades loadouts or working as a scout with frag shotguns).

Hehehehehee......
And depending on the mission, i play 'cheat' with saving a game before launching the soldiers, check out the map to be loaded, and well, load appropriately before sending.

Hence if i meet a long range map, open field and stuff, i still have my 6 sniper-man squad. lol. (Call that field scouting intelligence............. :P)

Titan

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:48:33 am »
IIRC, they go in a pair of Sniper/Spotter. The spotter helps coordinate the sniper's fire, and then uses their rifle (not a sniper rifle, though it *might* have a scope, don't remember) if the enemy starts to get close.

odie

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 07:31:44 am »
IIRC, they go in a pair of Sniper/Spotter. The spotter helps coordinate the sniper's fire, and then uses their rifle (not a sniper rifle, though it *might* have a scope, don't remember) if the enemy starts to get close.

Oh, thats in a specific target mode then.

Snipers work in 2 types -> 1 is a single team of a spotter / rangefinder + actual sniper (firer).

The other type is in ambush mode (say trees) where 1 is near the target (the killer) and the cover fire (the person covering the killer's backside, in case he need to re-deploy). Yupz.

:)

Technically, they work in squads of 4s if thats what u call it. 2 pairs.

Titan

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 06:09:41 pm »
Apologies, then. Most of what I know about modern warfare comes from watching the military channel. I'm more into World War 2.

odie

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 06:36:51 pm »
Apologies, then. Most of what I know about modern warfare comes from watching the military channel. I'm more into World War 2.

Nah, wats the apologies for? lol. We all learn something from one another.

PS: Btw, this tactics was already employed even from ww1. :P