project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Have I installed the game right?  (Read 5909 times)

MaHaRAjAAnGKasA

Have I installed the game right?
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:45 am »
I'm new with linux.
my platform is ubuntu 9.04 jaunty...latest update...on cer aspire 4935...
Past few days I'm trying to install this game UFOAI...googleing around and found this site....trying to download but in download section there is no for jaunty....so I download from SVN through the this site provide....from shell, they seem may take a lot longer time to be downloaded....then search through sourceforge.net...I found this file: ufoai-2.2-linux.run...download it with the other shell download still in progress and then run the installer....this installer was installing the game into the folder created for shell download for ufoai.....then I just installed it...and run the game....it worked....then I quit...and saw my shell download already finished....

As we know the shell download was the source...svn

was it my installation is a success?
What is the difference between the installation from ufoai-2.2-linux.run and compiling the game from source?
should I compile the map in the trunk folder?
If I do not want to re-install the game from svn....is it gonna be updated...
or my version from the ufoai-2.2-linux.run.....is outdated....??

Thanx! ???

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Have I installed the game right?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:02 am »
The latest stable version of the game is 2.2.1. But  it's under heavy development. The source (if you checked out the trunk) is far more advanced but a bit buggy.  The source changes day by day.. (Testers are welcome.)

What is the difference between the installation from ufoai-2.2-linux.run and compiling the game from source?

One year development.

should I compile the map in the trunk folder?

If you want to run the "2.3-dev" then yes. It takes long time another possibility is using the map-get script (crontib/sripts/).

If I do not want to re-install the game from svn....is it gonna be updated...

It's  not clear for me, sorry. The trunk is updated as I said.

or my version from the ufoai-2.2-linux.run.....is outdated....??
Thanx! ???

Outdated but the latest stable. We have some nasty bugs to fix before we could release a new one.

-geever

MaHaRAjAAnGKasA

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:04 am »
 ;D I would like to be the tester...

I already tried to install it from the trunk...
but they came out to be like this:
checking xvid.h usability... no
checking xvid.h presence... no
checking for xvid.h... no
configure: WARNING: Could not find the Xvid development headers
checking theora/theora.h usability... no
checking theora/theora.h presence... no
checking for theora/theora.h... no
configure: error: Could not find the Theora development headers nor the Xvid developement headers

What should I do...?
Any suggestion?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:25:23 am »
Hi, I run Kubuntu 9.04 on one of my computers, which is very similar to Ubuntu 9.04.

It looks like you need to install development packages for Xvid and Theora, which are not set up on your machine.

Did you follow the wiki instructions for installing all the required packages?

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Debian

Actually, the wiki might be a little out of date - additional Xvid and Theora libraries were recently added in SVN for OGM Video support.

You could try to find the development packages for these two libraries in your package manager - I think that would be Synaptic on Ubuntu, I'm not sure because Kubuntu - what I use - has a different packaging system.

Note: I believe the development packages are different than the standard ones and separate, so even if you can play back Xvid and/or Theora video files on your computer you still might not have the development packages installed, you'll have to look at the descriptions in the package manager to find the right ones.

I would offer screenshots, but my Kubuntu system has a different interface and wouldn't look like what you would see.  (Sorry.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:30:57 am by Destructavator »

MaHaRAjAAnGKasA

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:38:24 am »
 ;D my ubuntu system also have kde installed as a second option  of sessions...
I've already installed the xvid plugins and something about xvid from synaptic package manager...but the same problem occured...is there anyway such as manual installation of the software....any link I could download the headers.....
If I use the package manager in kde....could the installation process recognize the development header on gnome...
I use gnome as default....I like gnome... ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:41:40 am by MaHaRAjAAnGKasA »

MaHaRAjAAnGKasA

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:01:31 am »
Hi guys,

I think it is already solved.....currently my shell compiling the maps....I do not how long it would be for core 2 duo with 1gb of ram....how much it would take my hdd space.... ???
I tried to see again in the synaptic package manager and found like theora and xvid  ".dev or -dev"...
just install it....and then try another more installation....now compiling the maps.....hope for success...

Anyway, how to be tester guys?....

Thanx!

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:11:39 am »
Yes, the "dev" packages are the development packages.

As far as hdd space, if you have a reasonably modern computer (which it looks like you do), unless you're really packed you should have enough space, you'll just have to wait while the maps compile (which can take a few hours).

Anyway, how to be tester guys?....

First, update your copy of the game often from SVN, usually with the command svn up in the shell.

If When you find bugs, please refer to the sticky for how to file a bug report.

You can also discuss various aspects of the game here on the forum (what you do and don't like, what features you would like to see, etc.) although if you do post in this forum please use the search first to see if it has already been discussed.

P.S. - Seeing you're new here, just FYI Mattn is the top, lead developer here, although several of the other primary developers also post in this forum (BTAxis, and a number of others).  You would also talk to these people if you want to contribute content (artwork, making maps, adding 3D models, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:15:12 am by Destructavator »

Offline voteslave

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »

I tried to see again in the synaptic package manager and found like theora and xvid  ".dev or -dev"...
just install it....and then try another more installation....now compiling the maps.....hope for success...

Hi

I am having very similar problems with Ubuntu Jaunty - i have looked in Synaptic but there are no DEV files for xvid or theora - do you know what repositories these are in?

many thanks

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »
The packages you want end in "dev" - I found on my copy of Linux that they were in the default repositories installed when I set up the Operating System.

In the package manager, search for "xvid" and "theora," and look for the packages that start with "xvid" and "theora" but end with "dev" somewhere in the name.  (The names will also have numbers thrown in, in various places, which relate to the version.)

BTW, search for the Xvid and Theora packages individually, don't type them both into the search box at the same time.

Offline voteslave

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:41 am »
thanks Destructavator

that sorted it

i was not searching but scrolling down - but the files were like libXVID which is why i missed them
:(