project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Line of sight improvement  (Read 2632 times)

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Line of sight improvement
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:20:31 am »
When aiming to an enemy, the program draw a line from the shooter to the target enemy. If there is free line of sight this line is green, if there is no line of sight this line is red from the obstacle to the target. Because others PHALANX soldiers and civilians are not considered obstacle, if the target is far and if you don't verify the path, you risk to shoot at enemy and kill instead a soldier or a civilian. So I think PHALANX soldiers and civilians should be considered obstacle, or this could be an option that the player can activate.

odie

Re: Line of sight improvement
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:13 am »
When aiming to an enemy, the program draw a line from the shooter to the target enemy. If there is free line of sight this line is green, if there is no line of sight this line is red from the obstacle to the target. Because others PHALANX soldiers and civilians are not considered obstacle, if the target is far and if you don't verify the path, you risk to shoot at enemy and kill instead a soldier or a civilian. So I think PHALANX soldiers and civilians should be considered obstacle, or this could be an option that the player can activate.

Hmmm, blackswan, allow me to clarify??

Do u mean that currently, the LOS (Line of Sight) of the soldier is currently same color no matter if blocked by allies - soldier / civilian.

And are you proposing that should there be a blockage (by both obstacles, and Friendlies), the line be red. Else it be red all the way??

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:26 am »
Exactly as you wrote

Xenotron

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Then how will you notice that there aren't any other obstacles further? As I saw in one UFO game, It's better to just inform player about possibility to shoot civs, trooper or other important thing(if any) along the LOS. Simply do the same trick as it works with aliens now. So, we'll have, for example, 15% possibility to hit our own trooper and 60% to hit alien further. Everybody could do his own choice :)

odie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:20 am »
Then how will you notice that there aren't any other obstacles further? As I saw in one UFO game, It's better to just inform player about possibility to shoot civs, trooper or other important thing(if any) along the LOS. Simply do the same trick as it works with aliens now. So, we'll have, for example, 15% possibility to hit our own trooper and 60% to hit alien further. Everybody could do his own choice :)

Nah. i think blackswan's simple proposal sounds better. Dunno abt others, nor how the dev team feels abt it. But i am thumb's up for this.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:29 am »
I thought the LOS was determined by a 3D mesh, any 3D mesh, and I think its that way because they cant tell the game to determine between civvy, trooper, walls and aliens, though I could be wrong. If I am wrong, then yes, there needs to be another color to differentiate between neutral/friendly and objects. Maybe Yellow if there is a civvy or trooper in the way, red if there is an object