project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Civilian AI and ranged stun weapons  (Read 18074 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian AI and ranged stun weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »
Even in America, it's only the "right" to bear arms.

...which is actually an intentional misinterpretation of our Constitution, thanks to a *minority* of "gun nuts" who are very vocal and want to carry guns, while the majority of citizens are actually against guns but don't have the lobbyists and organized movement as powerful by comparison.

scamp

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:59 pm »
Governments would never encourage its citizenry to bear arms. Even in America, it's only the "right" to bear arms.

They would if aliens landed on earth  :D

odie

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
That doesn't make much sense... Governments would never encourage its citizenry to bear arms. Even in America, it's only the "right" to bear arms.
My dear BTAxis,

There is no more America here in UFOAI. Just Aliens and Earth. We are united against the bastards. Hence, Governments in their desperation, gives this appeal:

The united governments now appeal to all citizens to take up whatever arms to fight this onslaught, until Phalanx come up with an ultimate plan to end this threat permanently. Its THE fight for survival, earthlings. Fight!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »
What do you mean, there is no more America. It's right there on the geoscape. It's called United America.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 03:44:18 am »
Perhaps Odie didn't mean it literally - maybe he meant that individual nations and their issues with each other were no longer as important in the face of the new, greater threat from the aliens.

...which I think actually makes sense.  After all, kind of as an analogy with the same idea, if you're trying to work out a relationship issue with a friend so the two of you don't become ex-friends, and suddenly a third person walks into the room from out of nowhere, pulls out a shotgun, and tries to drill both of you, priorities change.  Chances are that when that happens you and your friend will be much more worried about the third guy and not getting killed by him, and the disagreement you two had becomes petty by comparison and can wait.

odie

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 04:44:23 am »
What do you mean, there is no more America. It's right there on the geoscape. It's called United America.
Perhaps Odie didn't mean it literally - maybe he meant that individual nations and their issues with each other were no longer as important in the face of the new, greater threat from the aliens.
Nods nods. Destructavator is spot on. Tks.

Yupz, the issue with individualities here is no longer a concern. Nations basically do not get concerned about their existance as individual states, rather, they are now united against a common front - using any means (including arming even 12 year olds.) :P

...which I think actually makes sense.  After all, kind of as an analogy with the same idea, if you're trying to work out a relationship issue with a friend so the two of you don't become ex-friends, and suddenly a third person walks into the room from out of nowhere, pulls out a shotgun, and tries to drill both of you, priorities change.  Chances are that when that happens you and your friend will be much more worried about the third guy and not getting killed by him, and the disagreement you two had becomes petty by comparison and can wait.
:o Nice example! Haha. Very nice.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 12:03:30 pm »
But that's not what we were talking about, is it? The game setting already provides for nations not having any big conflicts among each other (the two friends in the analogy) and they do work together to fight the aliens in the form of PHALANX. The argument was about governments handing out weapons to normal citizens, which would NEVER happen, not even during an alien invasion.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:20 pm »
But that's not what we were talking about, is it? The game setting already provides for nations not having any big conflicts among each other (the two friends in the analogy) and they do work together to fight the aliens in the form of PHALANX. The argument was about governments handing out weapons to normal citizens, which would NEVER happen, not even during an alien invasion.

That's true, handing out weapons like that probably wouldn't happen, I agree.

Actually, this thread was originally about something to do with "Civilian AI and ranged stun weapons" and got pulled off-course in a different direction more than once.  In the interest of bringing it at least somewhat back towards being on-topic again, I'll say that ranged stun weapons do sound like a good idea and it would be nice if they were in the game.

I don't know if advanced taser-guns could be in the game, or something based upon them, or perhaps something that works differently?  Or how about a short-range launcher that fires a net that wraps around an alien then discharges a current to stun them?  These are quick off-the-top-of-my-head ideas, but with some creativity and thought I'd imagine something could be put into the game for capturing live aliens without having to be directly next to them.

Also, regarding AI, people have different personalities, I think it would be important for more than one reaction - meaning some people would cower in fear not knowing what to do, others would run in terror, etc.  Whatever ends up being in the release when that day comes, I think it would make sense if not all of the civs acted the exact same way.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:53 pm »
Well, there's the electrolaser. It's a taser-ish weapon that delivers an electric shock guided by a laser beam.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »
Well, there's the electrolaser. It's a taser-ish weapon that delivers an electric shock guided by a laser beam.

Nice.  That seems like a reasonable solution, especially since it wouldn't require lots of additional coding and such.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »
It's in the 2.3-dev trunk, and should work already, actually.

odie

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 06:55:26 pm »
Oooo, tats nice. BTAxis, whats the wiki link for this pls? Or the proposal link? Wanna take a lookie. ;)

odie

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 07:01:10 pm »
Actually, this thread was originally about something to do with "Civilian AI and ranged stun weapons" and got pulled off-course in a different direction more than once.  In the interest of bringing it at least somewhat back towards being on-topic again, I'll say that ranged stun weapons do sound like a good idea and it would be nice if they were in the game.
Ops, i guess i was one of the culprits in moving thread slightly away from main discussions. Sorry.

But back to stun weapons - sounds good: Adv Tasers. I remember loving the way it works when i was playing Siphon Filters...... and i love to hear the enemies scream when fried. lol. *ok, i am NOT a saddist*...... hmmm... then again, i might just be one.....

Ranged stun guns...... tazors sounds perfect fit for this. AND power of this can go up higher using dual batteries (maybe even the laser rifle's D-clip.)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »
There is no writeup yet, I'm afraid. You can view the current stats for it in the script files, but they're kind of I-made-it-up and not tested at all.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 02:58:08 am »
Heck, even the modern-day tazer would be good. Max range is a couple tiles, low accuracy, 1 charge. But any ranged-melee is awsome.

Sorry to pull the thread off course again, but I had a thought: No nation is EVER going to stand by, protected by a global protector, and NOT pick on someone weaker. If UA were having particular problems with alien invasions, someone, say CO, is going to march in on the weakened nation and say "The old government wasnt doing its job. We claim this as ours, and will proect it as such."