project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Tracking Radar for combat missions  (Read 11427 times)

odie

Re: Alien Tracking Radar for combat missions
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 04:41:28 am »
About the Firebird pilots; in later versions were going to have mission radar and UGVs, let's just say that the pilot & copilot are handling those things.

After all, the UGV's have to be remote-controlled from somewhere and someone has to be monitoring the radar.
Ah ha! Nods nods. UGVs..... a long forgotten gem. :) Glad its still active.

Okie abt tat. If thats the case, the sensors discussed earlier should be mobile on the individual soldiers then. :D

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:11 am »
@odie:
The scan would be useless, if we had to wait for it. Remember how fast some of the aliens are!
In this case I'd prefer the logic of "teamwork": The pilot only scans areas which the soldiers are currently NOT near (the reason could be that personal gear of the soldiers interferes with the scanner)!
This would help finding hiding/stuck aliens, but not make them "always visible"...

Of course this is nothing for 2.3. :)

@Chriswriter90:
You're right, I forgot about the UGV's...

odie

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 06:58:25 pm »
@odie:
The scan would be useless, if we had to wait for it. Remember how fast some of the aliens are!
In this case I'd prefer the logic of "teamwork": The pilot only scans areas which the soldiers are currently NOT near (the reason could be that personal gear of the soldiers interferes with the scanner)!
This would help finding hiding/stuck aliens, but not make them "always visible"...
Borsti,

Actually i agree. I mean in the heat of battle, who has time to take out a scanner to start scanning for stuff... lol.

But have u seen the X-force's concept of the field scanner? Very simple. Simply deploy on floor (and it acts like a 360degree active scanner). And best part? U can actually pick it up again and redeploy if need.

Something along tat line, sounds good. Like a proximity detectors (alongside proximity grenades' AI), and is actually very military-employed in today's army too. :P

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:18 pm »
Perhaps it could be possible that a "close range sensor package" could be researched in the game and then be fitted into a dropship like an ECM. This would then project a "radar" that would show an area where the sensors had detected aliens. It could be that if the aliens move a lot, the area is big and fuzzy and would not be that much use, while if the alien just camps somewhere, sensors would detect a clear signal from him and make only a little spot in the radar.
On a similiar thing, it would make more sense that thermal goggles would not let people look through walls. You could make a sonar function in them so they could do that but otherwise it doesn't make sense.

scamp

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:02 pm »
in the heat of battle, who has time to take out a scanner to start scanning for stuff... lol.

You'd be amazed to hear that tactical information wins most battles. As a platoon commander I would love to have as much intel from the battleground as possible. I would rather have two people on scanning duty during heavy battle than two extra people shooting.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 01:23:38 pm »
What if you only had two people?

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:29 pm »
In that case I'd prefer to whip out the scanner before going into a possible ambush zone even more. Because surrounding the enemy is clearly not an option.

But I'm against the scanner. You still can't distinguish between aliens and civvies, so you'll always have a lot of signals to chase. In some situations it might be too powerful, telling you which houses to skip.

odie

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:21 am »
You'd be amazed to hear that tactical information wins most battles. As a platoon commander I would love to have as much intel from the battleground as possible. I would rather have two people on scanning duty during heavy battle than two extra people shooting.

Yes i agree.... thats basically what scouts are for (Forward Observer [aka FO]).... they are supposed to gather intel to minimise danger.......

Esp here on the ground with Aliens.

U see, i am sure alot of us (including myself at times) shoot on sight and tries to kill on sighting of aliens. What we are forgetting is in most SUCCESSFUL warfare, we sight an alien, then we keep track of it (And NOT shoot yet), gather up the big guys (the automatic weapons and snipers + assault team), ready and go in at one short. Yupz. Thats why real war experience is impt here, its practically practical. :P

What if you only had two people?

I would do the tactical wait for best opportunity - snipe and guerilla warfare......

But I'm against the scanner. You still can't distinguish between aliens and civvies, so you'll always have a lot of signals to chase. In some situations it might be too powerful, telling you which houses to skip.

Well well, u can actually. Civi's dun use strange metals (like aliens), they exhibit diff heat energies (since scanners are adv enuf, we assume they can make the difference, and soldiers are trained to note the difference). Scanners should also probably pick up the approx shape of the heat / watever bandwidth of the 'objects' (aliens / civi / even our own soldiers) inside .....

Sounds logical?

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:25:36 am »
I wanted to request it sometimes later after 2.3 is released but since a discusion is already here...

I saw in TV once about a new gadget that the SWAT team was using. A set of a grenade-camera and a ocular head-set. It is already field tested. One soldier throws a grenade-like thing that in fact is not an explosive device. You can throw it around a corner, bounce it of the wall or ceiling, over a barricade. The device is equipped with several cameras giving a 360 degrees view around it. Then anyone who has a special head set and who is close enough can 'see through its eyes'.

As I see it in game terms: One soldier could throw a grenade-camera. Second soldier would use his head set to change the point of his sight to the point were the camera currently lies. He would have to turn around to emulate operating the device and changing the angle of his new sight. When activating his head set he could have more than one camera available for him from a list but I do not think it would be hard to code a list of max 8 cameras available at one time [there wouldn't be a need for more than 3 I think]

Anyway if we will have flying drone cameras then this idea is obsolete anyway :/

odie

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:19 am »
I wanted to request it sometimes later after 2.3 is released but since a discusion is already here...

I saw in TV once about a new gadget that the SWAT team was using. A set of a grenade-camera and a ocular head-set. It is already field tested. One soldier throws a grenade-like thing that in fact is not an explosive device. You can throw it around a corner, bounce it of the wall or ceiling, over a barricade. The device is equipped with several cameras giving a 360 degrees view around it. Then anyone who has a special head set and who is close enough can 'see through its eyes'.

As I see it in game terms: One soldier could throw a grenade-camera. Second soldier would use his head set to change the point of his sight to the point were the camera currently lies. He would have to turn around to emulate operating the device and changing the angle of his new sight. When activating his head set he could have more than one camera available for him from a list but I do not think it would be hard to code a list of max 8 cameras available at one time [there wouldn't be a need for more than 3 I think]

Anyway if we will have flying drone cameras then this idea is obsolete anyway :/

Ah, sounds a little bit like the mine-field de-miner robot i used to handle when i was a field-pioneer (engineer of sorts, on wheels)........ they have field camera and can even move!! Cool lil gadgets...... lol. (Not to mention they can actually try to defuse a mine, w/o an actual soldier there).

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 02:31:38 pm »
*request*
Sounds like something Phalanx could have from the start. Also this would give the "problematic" head slot some use if you'd need the headset for it. Of course, when we have the flying drones this becomes obsolete but I guess drones aren't here from the start.

odie

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:45 am »
Sounds like something Phalanx could have from the start. Also this would give the "problematic" head slot some use if you'd need the headset for it. Of course, when we have the flying drones this becomes obsolete but I guess drones aren't here from the start.

*OH WAIT*

Why dun we integrate the scanner INTO the goggle??

U know, one of those press a button by the side of the headset and u get some VR view of the surroundings?? Hmmmm....

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:40 pm »
I think Hertzila called the headgear slot problematic b/c there's only one item for it. If the two items don't get merged, you have to make a choice, which makes things more interesting.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 10:46:33 pm »
Presicely. It would give the headgear slot more use than just the IR goggles (though I think we could give them sonar imaging and simply call them "scanner goggles," if you want that "look through walls" stuff). It would be that the headset is required for using these "third-eyes" but many soldiers could use the same "eye" in the same time. It could also be available for reaction fire (ie. you can see enemies through them and that way reaction fire will be triggered by them).

But anyway, I think this is getting a little offtopic. For the alien radar I still say that an extra module labeled like that is more or less the best choice. When alien stands still, the signal is clear but when it moves, the signal is really fuzzy and unclear. Bigger gang moving means more fuzzy signal while bigger gang camping means unbelieveably clear signal.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:48:06 pm by Hertzila »

odie

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:08:56 am »
Presicely. It would give the headgear slot more use than just the IR goggles (though I think we could give them sonar imaging and simply call them "scanner goggles," if you want that "look through walls" stuff). It would be that the headset is required for using these "third-eyes" but many soldiers could use the same "eye" in the same time. It could also be available for reaction fire (ie. you can see enemies through them and that way reaction fire will be triggered by them).

Agreed! :P Along what some of us here were thinking.... at least it is for me. :D

But anyway, I think this is getting a little offtopic.

Hehe... no lar, i dun thnk we are going too off topic. :P

For the alien radar I still say that an extra module labeled like that is more or less the best choice. When alien stands still, the signal is clear but when it moves, the signal is really fuzzy and unclear. Bigger gang moving means more fuzzy signal while bigger gang camping means unbelieveably clear signal.

Nah, dun complicate programming..... If its within range, u see him. If not, its off the radar range. Period. :D