project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature request: production management  (Read 7447 times)

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Feature request: production management
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:29:33 am »
I think then production management is unhandy. The program should let you assign more or less workers, like research does.

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: production management
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:44:38 am »
why?
Why would you want to not assign all workers? To build different things at once? If you really need to (and why would you really) you can add more items to the cue with less numbers on each item.

I think this should be removed on research as well. You always add 'everybody' anyway. There's no need to research two things at the same time (for example you then get both tech after 5 days instead one after 2,5 days and the other after the full 5 days, why would you want that)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:43:02 am »
I wouldn't go so far as removing the ability to do so, but I agree with Suliman for the most part.

A scenario I can think of where you might want to run multiple project at once is when you're working on the production of something big and costly (an UGV maybe), and need to produce a small number of additional ammo for a weapon (laser ammo for example). You might want to take off some workers from the UGV without canceling production altogether to make the ammo.

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:07 pm »
The meaning of the requestt is that I would like to pruduce something "fast and small" like ammo while I'm producing something "big and slow", like an aircraft

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:15:01 pm »
Isn't that what I said?

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »
Yes, it was as you said. Just wanted to precise

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:21:19 pm »
Or the (necessary) combination of a gun an its ammo!
Since you have a limited queue, you can't efficiently manage "build a coilgun, 2 magazines, a coilgun, 6 magazines, ..." what would be a good way to get at least ONE quickly and the build up without running out of ammo.
Also it would be nice for "production for sale" - we could set up a production item with a really large number, but assign only a few workers (btw, does AutoSell work for production?)...

Yeah, I'd like it the way resarch is done. Eventually with one improvement: If a production item is finished, add the workers to the next unstarted item...?

odie

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:25:02 am »
why?
Why would you want to not assign all workers? To build different things at once? If you really need to (and why would you really) you can add more items to the cue with less numbers on each item.

I think this should be removed on research as well. You always add 'everybody' anyway. There's no need to research two things at the same time (for example you then get both tech after 5 days instead one after 2,5 days and the other after the full 5 days, why would you want that)

Hi, i believe i can share insights on suliman's point.

1) To be able to reassign scientists is impt. You might discover something more impt (like a new artifact of the alien's) and decide to pause current research, (which might be only halfway thru out of 8 days) and switch to this more pressing matter.

2) This is also probably applicable to the manufacturing plant - a craft is being constructed (taking 2 wks?), and suddenly some crap soldiers ran out of ammo (which cant be bought) and needs immediate attention and making. Hence, well, divert 30% manpower to make this crappy soldier's ammo.

3) Well, in the real world, (if aliens attack), u practically do not see everyone doing same thing to be effective. There is something called manpower diversification, which maximises everyone's potential by assigning em to diff tasks, according to their needs / skills. Well, i thnk i am not making sense......

Think of it this way: ppl laze around if too mani ppl on same job (redundancy of manpower),then move to 2nd job. But if manpower if halved and same amt of job needs to be done, it actually spurs em to do things faster (knowing tat its now up to em - the halved manpower, do or die). Making sense? lol.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »
Also it would be nice for "production for sale" - we could set up a production item with a really large number, but assign only a few workers (btw, does AutoSell work for production?)...

Produced items not autosold AFAIK and it wouldn't be good either. This is not really an economy game. You can produce for sale but it's not the desired behavior.

-geever

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:23 pm »
You can produce for sale but it's not the desired behavior.
Why not? Then you wouldn't need "sell"-options at all (ok, to release storage, but then you could call it "drop").
I was always quite happy about some extra money...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:48 pm »
For one thing you lose money that way. Selling profits are always below the production costs.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:37 pm »
Why not? Then you wouldn't need "sell"-options at all (ok, to release storage, but then you could call it "drop"). I was always quite happy about some extra money...

If I/player request something to produce we expect it to be created (in the storage).
Imagine the situation when you need ammo (for example) and you don't get it then realize "sh*t, I left it on autosell". I think that would hurt more than bring.

-geever

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »
For one thing you lose money that way. Selling profits are always below the production costs.

Oh really? Haven't checked yet, testing mostly on easy levels ('nuff money). :) Was it the same way on original UFO? Can't believe it, but alas, I was wrong before...

@geever:
we weren't talking about the autosell-feature, were we? I cited your comment - it seems to state "production just for sale is not wanted"...?

s300pmu1

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
Oh really? Haven't checked yet, testing mostly on easy levels ('nuff money). :) Was it the same way on original UFO? Can't believe it, but alas, I was wrong before...

Frankly, neither do I remember the vanilla UFO in this respect. I do think, actually, that this is illogical. I do remember some other UFO clones, and in all of them, you DO extract a profit from selling stuff to the market. In some game, Laser rifles was the best one in  terms of ROI.

Since PHALANX makes investments in research (and actually pays for it), it should be able to extract a profit. Why not? If devs claim in the storyline that PHALANX is the coolest thing on Earth and noone else is capable of repelling the alien threat, and if govts do not have anything like PHALANX research and production capability, it would only be logical that items made available by it through its research and production effort, being unique and unobtainable from outher sources, would be valued highly on the international market.

I can not even see any reasons for not having this behaviour in-game, other that lack of desire to change one's brainchild.

Xenotron

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »
And how it would look like?
Hi, governments! We need your money as for per-month basis! And by the way, don't you wanna to buy 3 Laser rifles? Just 100k per item. Well, I don't care that there aren't ammo or that you give us money to operate.

PHALANX is multi-government organization, not private one. It's a military, not business structure.