project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature request: research new aircraft  (Read 6020 times)

Offline blackswan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Feature request: research new aircraft
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:33 am »
There are 3 aircraft available: firebird, stiletto and saracen. At 90% of the time, stiletto and saracen end up destroyed by the enemy harvester. It is possibile to implement a new research that allow the production of a new aircraft that can manage the harvester?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: research new aircraft
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:52:34 am »
We have already got a clear idea about all the craft we want to have in the game. There's a list.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »
Is it planned to get more than 1 aircraft into a hangar again? If I remember correctly, in UFO I was able to crush these babies with 2-4 interceptors at once; but it's nearly impossible to do so in UFO:AI due to the lack of space...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:25 pm »
in UFO you could have only one aircraft per hangar either...

-geever

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »
oops... how did I do that, then? *scratscrat*
I was so sure there had been at least 2.  :P

Anyway, would be nice.  ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:18:40 pm »
We have plans for unmanned craft that support the main interceptors, and you get to have more than one of those in one hangar.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 11:28:26 pm »
cool!  :D

s300pmu1

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
cool!  :D
Well, it is quite logical that more than one aircraft can be held in a single hangar - at least a large one.
However, to have it, you can also edit the ufos.pk3\basemanagement.ufo, setting capacity to any number you wish.

odie

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:13:27 am »
Well, it is quite logical that more than one aircraft can be held in a single hangar - at least a large one.
However, to have it, you can also edit the ufos.pk3\basemanagement.ufo, setting capacity to any number you wish.

Bad boy bad boy...... lol. Dun mess up the game yet.
* :P ;D*

Okie, on this note, can i propose that whilst the original idea was to have only large crafts in large hangers, and small crafts in small hangers (which i agree btw, for the reasons stated in the pedia - different maintenance tools and fuel replenishments and stuff), u simply need a single such facilities for such craft. Hence, hangers should be meant strictly for 'storage' where some 2-4 crafts can effectively be stored? :)

What do the developers think of this idea?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:55:21 am »
You forget that bases are actually pretty small (even the proposed larger ones). Not even a large just doesn't FIT more than one small craft, and I'm not even talking about the maintenance equipment. Taken a 2x2 base tile (that's the size of a large hangar) and allowing for walking space during base missions, you end up with just enough space for any one of the larger craft. You MIGHT be able to put multiple stilettos on there without problems, I suppose, but certainly none of the other interceptors. And if interceptors are going in small hangars anyway, I'd rather put the stiletto there as well, for continuity and to avoid balancing problems.

odie

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:36:27 am »
You forget that bases are actually pretty small (even the proposed larger ones). Not even a large just doesn't FIT more than one small craft, and I'm not even talking about the maintenance equipment. Taken a 2x2 base tile (that's the size of a large hangar) and allowing for walking space during base missions, you end up with just enough space for any one of the larger craft. You MIGHT be able to put multiple stilettos on there without problems, I suppose, but certainly none of the other interceptors. And if interceptors are going in small hangars anyway, I'd rather put the stiletto there as well, for continuity and to avoid balancing problems.

Being curious, not to be a copycat or anything, but have we considered the possibilities of having an additional 1 (or more) levels of basements?

Only topmost lvl can launch weapons and crafts....

Lower lvls for better protection, meant for scientists only and the such, and in base attacks, would probably be considered to be totally out of bounds to aliens (due to severe lockdown they cannot break (human DNA only)?? :P

food for tots....

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:55 am »
Being curious, not to be a copycat or anything, but have we considered the possibilities of having an additional 1 (or more) levels of basements?

Yes.

odie

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 09:36:26 pm »
Yes.
Oh thanks BTAxis!

Yupz, exactly what i had in mind too. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I came across this concept actually from the game X-Force. Which i thnk was a very good idea. (Though X-Force can have surface + 5 more lvls, IMHO, too many).

Its a nice thing to have.

Just a lil point to note, since hangers need to be nx to surface to launch, may i propose that hangers MUST be placed on the upper level (hence, might consider a bigger than proposed upper level, while keeping the bottom level as it is (and i love the idea that lower lvl lift space = 1 sq. Rational is good because, engines parts and stuff for life alr at top lvl and lower level(s) are just door space).

So we considering implemention for this by 2.3 stable? or 2.4 stable?

s300pmu1

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:06:02 am »
Yes.
Wonderful. Obviously, aircraft carriers are not that large too, but thanks to the elevator, they do store an astounding number of aircraft.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:37:30 am »
Just a lil point to note, since hangers need to be nx to surface to launch, may i propose that hangers MUST be placed on the upper level (hence, might consider a bigger than proposed upper level, while keeping the bottom level as it is (and i love the idea that lower lvl lift space = 1 sq. Rational is good because, engines parts and stuff for life alr at top lvl and lower level(s) are just door space).

So we considering implemention for this by 2.3 stable? or 2.4 stable?

They're supposed to be only on the upper level, yes. This won't be in 2.3.