project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Waypoint launcher like in X-com  (Read 11422 times)

odie

Re: Waypoint launcher like in X-com
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 03:17:55 am »
There's a lot of programming involved in making this weapon. It certainly isn't impossible but to do this from scratch without any knowledge of the game engine ( like BtAxis says this weapon ( specifically the ammo for it ) requires some form of AI and it should not always hit the target, it should have a small "internal failure" of something like 10% which would make the weapon dangerous to use , and only considered after tactical consideration ). Yes, the maximum ammo per squad should be limited to 2-3 , don't want USA-type warfare out there.  I will wait for a few more people who would like this weapon, maybe we can then organize something.

Aniwae, this would be a very complex weapon at this stage, considering:
1) A complete entry would have to be made.
2) Graphics would have to be drawn. (and rendered)
3) Combat animations would have to be made.
4) Descriptions of the weapon would have to be written.
5) AI scripts would have to be created.
6) Tweakings, effects and i have not touched on the immensity of the sequencing of such a script.....(or scripts).

I would rather the developers at this juncture, to focus on debugging, on fine-tuning the already-existing weapons and features, and well, get the rest of the time on finishing the already approved projects.

Maybe if u would want to create such a complex weapon, (i am not discouraging suggestions for simpler-to-programme weapons like those of laser rifles, coil guns, etc), maybe u would want to write up some of those 1 to 6 points and commit to developers to have a look? :)

PS: I am not being a wet blanket here, nor discouraging brain-storming, but maybe we can consider for 2.4 development or even version 3 (aka future developments)..... definately not at this juncture.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 10:27:19 am »
I would rather the developers at this juncture, to focus on debugging, on fine-tuning the already-existing weapons and features, and well, get the rest of the time on finishing the already approved projects.

Don't worry Odie, the dev team will not code a single line for it. ;)

Maybe if u would want to create such a complex weapon, (i am not discouraging suggestions for simpler-to-programme weapons like those of laser rifles, coil guns, etc), maybe u would want to write up some of those 1 to 6 points and commit to developers to have a look? :)

PS: I am not being a wet blanket here, nor discouraging brain-storming, but maybe we can consider for 2.4 development or even version 3 (aka future developments)..... definately not at this juncture.

We don't want such a weapon in the game, neither in v9.99.

-geever

odie

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:49 am »
Don't worry Odie, the dev team will not code a single line for it. ;)

We don't want such a weapon in the game, neither in v9.99.

-geever

hahhahahaa...... 9.9999 wooooooooooooooooo
I would love to see UFOAI 4,........

scamp

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 11:45:07 am »
What would be nice to see is more weapon scripting possibilities. So that in a future release this weapon could be scripted entirely out of a mod-script. I'm not sure how far mod-scripting is , but I'm pretty sure that this weapon needs main-code change instead of a simple mod script.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:39 am »
I don't even know how that would work. There's always going to have to be some program code backend. But if you have an idea for an architecture, you could write a proposal article...

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 01:19:14 am »
In addition to Odie's list:
7) code for that completely new type of animation
8) code to enter andhandle the waypoints

But I think scamp wants to do that ...

...  I might program one into the game anyway, for personal use.

odie

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 04:47:15 am »
I don't even know how that would work. There's always going to have to be some program code backend. But if you have an idea for an architecture, you could write a proposal article...

Oooo, that would really be revolutionary - to have a new architecture to the weapons' handling!

In addition to Odie's list:
7) code for that completely new type of animation
8) code to enter and handle the waypoints
Duke,

Ah, that will really be more pain in the butt already..... ;p
I would rather have this at other dev stages...... at least not now for sure. Poor dev team alr trying to battle big enuf monsters like pathfinding and a couple of dev on the existing proposals approved. :D

Surrealistik

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 04:52:11 am »
No blaster bombs please. This would be a ridiculously overpowered weapon that should never see the light of day in UFO:AI.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:23:41 am »
I want Sam's BOMB!  :D :D :D

odie

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 06:55:52 pm »
I want Sam's BOMB!  :D :D :D

Hahahhaah..... The pic is cute..... but i dun think should implement nonetheless. :P

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 07:26:46 pm »
Odie, you don't know "Serious Sam", do you? ;)

This Bomb would be the "win-button" mentioned earlier. Push the button anyone but you is dead. So this was a joke, of course! ;D