Poll

Is the game only partially completed?

yes
3 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: April 25, 2009, 08:08:38 pm

Author Topic: Game ends too early?  (Read 3371 times)

dubweiser

Game ends too early?
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:08:38 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and if anyone has been able to fix it. I have played 2 single player campaigns on hard and both times I got to Jan 2085 and then a message pops up saying that I have completed the single player campaign. I know I havent passed the game since I havent researched everything and havent beaten the aliens, however terror attacks have stopped and no more UFO's show up. I have downloaded 2.2.1 from 2 different sources and in both games this happens. Is the game only partially completed or is there a fix I can get?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Game ends too early?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:33 pm »
The game is far far far from finished*. ;)
We improve it day by day.

* ps Bit search on this forum could tell you that btw.

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:13:34 pm »
Whether the game is finished or not isn't up for a POLL. It's finished when we call it finished, no sooner.

dubweiser

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:44:10 am »
I hate to sound impatient but hurry up hahah, I am really looking forward to completing this game. So far as I can tell by playing the few hours I've already put in that this will be a very entertaining game once completed. Any news on how far along or how far away until the game will be 100% ready?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:25:57 am »
...how far away until the game will be 100% ready?

Short answer: When it's done.

Most of the people involved in creating this project (if not all of us) do it in their spare time, and for some of us spare time varies a bit (this is very true for myself).  Another variable in the "equation" is that various contributors like myself come and go.

Because of the nature of how this project is being developed, a timetable is close to impossible to come up with, and it really wouldn't make sense or work well to attempt to commit to a schedule.

On the positive side, this project is very active, and people are currently putting lots of effort into it every day, as opposed to some of the other "dead" open-source projects out there.

odie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:55:57 am »
I hate to sound impatient but hurry up hahah, I am really looking forward to completing this game. So far as I can tell by playing the few hours I've already put in that this will be a very entertaining game once completed. Any news on how far along or how far away until the game will be 100% ready?

1) Far far from finished.
2) As destructavator says, when its done, its done.
3) Quoting BTAxis' style: If u want it any faster, contribute.

:P

And btw, not only do u hate to sound impatient, i am sure many of us here hate to hear ppl being impatient...... -.-"

Canuck77

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:39 pm »
Well put, Odie.

The absolute best response for a volunteer project like this to hear is:

"Great game - Can someone please assign me a difficult programming task so that I can help work on it?".

Second best:

"Can I take a crack at one of the unfinished pieces of art? I have no programming skills, but I'd love to help out with this."

Third best:

"Great game - I've noticed a bug. Here's my thoroughly documented scenario, trace report, save file, and screenshots. If you'd like me to test this out on any future development build, please let me know - my email address is...".

Also very helpful is helping in the forums when people ask repeat questions. By stepping in and answering them, you save guys like poor BT who have to take many deep breaths before they answer it for the 50th time - as you can imagine, it can be difficult to spend hours working on a stubborn problem, only to turn to the forum and seeing someone ask a repeat question.

No offense intended, but you need to realize the hundreds (thousands) of hours of work that has gone into this to date. They deserve a bit of space, and much respect. :)

Canuck77

odie

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »
Well put, Odie.

The absolute best response for a volunteer project like this to hear is:

"Great game - Can someone please assign me a difficult programming task so that I can help work on it?".

Second best:

"Can I take a crack at one of the unfinished pieces of art? I have no programming skills, but I'd love to help out with this."

Third best:

"Great game - I've noticed a bug. Here's my thoroughly documented scenario, trace report, save file, and screenshots. If you'd like me to test this out on any future development build, please let me know - my email address is...".

Also very helpful is helping in the forums when people ask repeat questions. By stepping in and answering them, you save guys like poor BT who have to take many deep breaths before they answer it for the 50th time - as you can imagine, it can be difficult to spend hours working on a stubborn problem, only to turn to the forum and seeing someone ask a repeat question.

No offense intended, but you need to realize the hundreds (thousands) of hours of work that has gone into this to date. They deserve a bit of space, and much respect. :)

Canuck77

*Claps claps claps*

Haha, BEST said! Lol.

If there is any just as interesting suggestions:

"Hey, I managed to solve your pathfinding issues..... here's the solution.* Upload.

Or.

*eh, not too sure if this is how your problem could be solved, but i already managed to streamline the code, remove redundant entries, made every subroutines understandable by adding comments, added some nice graphics and sounds, and well, proposing that we move on to UFOAI v3."

:P

Okie, i am getting cranky. 249am here, and i am here just to verify a couple of bugs.... it seemed like they are not bugs, but due to inexperience, caused by not so familiar with the project ppl.

Sry. Okie, i am done! :) toodles! Miss me as i will be out the whole wkend, probably popping by just to check the forums. Recompilations will have to wait till monday. :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:50:53 pm by odie »