project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2-skills weapons: which skill would be used in Reaction Fire?  (Read 5860 times)

laclongquan

There are some such weapons. One example is Bolter rifles.

Bolter can be fired in two mode: Assault and Sniper. In Reaction Fire it fire one shot, so I wonder which kind it was: snap or precision shot?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2-skills weapons: which skill would be used in Reaction Fire?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:59 am »
Reaction firemode is selectable (in most cases, I think sniper mode isn't selectable maybe due to TU cost)

-geever

laclongquan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:49:27 am »
I suspect I didnt make myself clear.

When in RF mode, my soldier shot at aliens, striking them all (let's assume so). Those shot will be counted as snap shot thus add toward my Assault skill OR counted as precision shot thus add toward my Sniper skill? That is the question.

Why I want to know? As I read a few posts and the Wiki, it seem shot using skill count toward that skill and upgrade it. So.

I am playing 2.2.1.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:15:24 am »
"be counted as snap shot ?"

It will be counted that you selected. There are circles in front of firemodes, the one is selected will be used for RF - and it's skill IMO.

-geever

odie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:51:53 am »
Reaction firemode is selectable (in most cases, I think sniper mode isn't selectable maybe due to TU cost)

-geever
I believe that sniper mode is not possible in fire reaction cos usually it takes extreme aim. Unless the firer is willing to forgo ALL TUs for next turn (focused sniping). Maybe this is possible in implementation?

All sniper modes take ALL TUs from next turn. What u folks thnk?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »
I believe that sniper mode is not possible in fire reaction cos usually it takes extreme aim. Unless the firer is willing to forgo ALL TUs for next turn (focused sniping). Maybe this is possible in implementation?

All sniper modes take ALL TUs from next turn. What u folks thnk?

"extreme aim" isn't that you do when an enemy pops up in front of you so I think it's just fine not allowing it as ReactionFire.

-geever

odie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:50:24 am »
"extreme aim" isn't that you do when an enemy pops up in front of you so I think it's just fine not allowing it as ReactionFire.

-geever
Ah yes! Perhaps for sniper wpns, there is no snap reaction fire, but call it "Concentrated Aiming Mode". Where sniper rifle only has this choice.

Perhaps our Rocket launchers could have the same? :P

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:42:34 pm »
Where sniper rifle only has this choice.

One problem could be that the player could put up several sniper guys, and just wait until the aliens popup and shoot them down automatically.

Maybe this should be possible, but it should come at serious penalties. For example, I think if an alien pops up in front of you, you are more likely to
shoot him down quickly, but if he runs two metres from cover to cover some 50 metres away from you, and you were _not_ expecting this, then I think a sniper who
fires at this fast moving target is much more likely to just miss - or not even have the time to fire.

Besides, it could be a civilian too, so maybe extreme range should count for civilians that move as well and result in snipers killing civilians too, which
wont make many superiors happy ... i mean, how would you know that guy aint an alien, if he is like 100 metres away and you fire in reaction mode on
everything that moves anyway... could maybe include your own team squad too hehe :P

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 07:41:05 pm »
I just had an idea to make this work. Sniping takes concentration and time to aim properly. When RF sniping, the sniper should have some sort of counter which starts at zero and counts up for every square the enemy moves in sight of the sniper. Once a certain threshold in reached sniping RF can be performed. When snipe shot taked place all TU for an aimed shot are expended. If the enemy moves out of sight before being shot at, a fraction of the TU for the aimed shot are expended regardless. Perhaps an amount proportion relative to the counter and the threshold; if counter made it to 50 and threshold is 100, expend 50% of aimed shot TU. The counter's increase rate should be higher for soldiers with higher snipe skill. Opinions?

Cheers!

odie

On Sniper Concentrated Fire
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:58 am »
I just had an idea to make this work. Sniping takes concentration and time to aim properly. When RF sniping, the sniper should have some sort of counter which starts at zero and counts up for every square the enemy moves in sight of the sniper. Once a certain threshold in reached sniping RF can be performed. When snipe shot taked place all TU for an aimed shot are expended. If the enemy moves out of sight before being shot at, a fraction of the TU for the aimed shot are expended regardless. Perhaps an amount proportion relative to the counter and the threshold; if counter made it to 50 and threshold is 100, expend 50% of aimed shot TU. The counter's increase rate should be higher for soldiers with higher snipe skill. Opinions?

Cheers!

Sounds interesting..... u familar with programming? Maybe u can think of a flowchart of how this programming should work???

Then again, expect this to be not in 2.3 but 2.4 dev. :P