project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Normalizing sounds  (Read 14736 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Normalizing sounds
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 07:07:47 pm »
For your first request: Yes, I can work on each of the individual footstep sounds so that they are balanced in relationship to each other - After all, stepping on grass or carpet doesn't make as much noise as stepping on something solid.  It will take a little work for me to do this as I'd have to balance every single sample against all the others, but I can get started on it sometime today.

For the second point about bitrate:  The discrepancy probably comes from the fact that I used VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding instead of CBR (Constant Bit Rate) encoding to make those OGG files.  (The OGG encoder I have supports CBR, VBR, and ABR encoding).  If you would prefer CBR encoding I can do this quite easily and do it that way instead.

ok, it's implemented now - footstep sounds have a relative volume of 0.3, weapons and geoscape currently have 1.0

As a suggestion, you might want to add a CVAR or console command to adjust relative volumes in-game, for quicker balancing and testing purposes.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Normalizing sounds
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:21 pm »
For your first request: Yes, I can work on each of the individual footstep sounds so that they are balanced in relationship to each other - After all, stepping on grass or carpet doesn't make as much noise as stepping on something solid.  It will take a little work for me to do this as I'd have to balance every single sample against all the others, but I can get started on it sometime today.

that would be cool.

For the second point about bitrate:  The discrepancy probably comes from the fact that I used VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding instead of CBR (Constant Bit Rate) encoding to make those OGG files.  (The OGG encoder I have supports CBR, VBR, and ABR encoding).  If you would prefer CBR encoding I can do this quite easily and do it that way instead.

i don't prefer anything here - i don't know enough about the difference. so it's up to you.

i will think about the introduction of cvars - if they would all be in the client code i would have done this already - but the footstep sound parsing (which sets some default values, too) is also available for the server to be able to play hidden actor sounds. so a little bit of redesign is needed to do it properly.