project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Crash from Combat in [+farm] and [Tropical UFO] Maps  (Read 5121 times)

odie

Crash from Combat in [+farm] and [Tropical UFO] Maps
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:17:57 am »
1) Win XP SP 3
2) Internal 256MB Geforce, 768MB Ram, 1GHz Processor
3) SVN R23897

I got 1 mission initially - [+farm]
Somewhere in south africa.

When entered mission, it would crash randomly - sometimes after shooting an alien dead. sometimes when soldier got shot.

In addition, movement will also be strange.
Eg. When u first enter a mission, all soldiers are defaulted to single reaction fire shot mode. But if u move, the TU dun reflect correctly - try it to see what i mean.

In addition still on reaction mode, if u were to use that same initial soldier, (or any other soldier - it be same) move somewhere leaving just enough TU, and press x to change reaction fire mode, what u get is the same mode, then alternating to multiple fires and back to "X" mode indicating no reaction fire.

This is esp obvious if u carry the nice green rocket launcher. Try this to see what i mean too.... a bit hard to describe this.

I realised this is interface issue, as it happens on another map [tropical UFO] that i am on.

Both maps causes combat to crash - resulting in coming back to the geoscape abruptly, after seemingly random events like shooting an alien first time, being shot first time, reaction fire.... etc. I do not have backtraces, since the game sometimes even freezes.

1 very easy way to create freeze is this - Go into combat. wait for everything to load up, and its player's turn. ESC, then choose Retry. Game freeze. Tat simple. Yupz.

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Crash from Combat in [+farm] and [Tropical UFO] Maps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:32 am »
I experienced similar crashed in druglord and eaglenest. I was checking out maps in skirmish mode though, so the crash would leave me at the main menu.

Cheers!

odie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:44:22 am »
I experienced similar crashed in druglord and eaglenest. I was checking out maps in skirmish mode though, so the crash would leave me at the main menu.

Cheers!
It seemed like its not the map issues then..... more like the combat modules, something abt the scripts for fire, or the such......

Could someone point me to some well..... idiots guide to the backtrace for Win32 systems>?? My built is in debug mode.

1) I already built my revision Svn in "windows_debug" mode.
2) From here a bit lost, not too sure if i should use codeblocks or Dr Mingw. As in if i alr compile according to the workspace file and nsis scripts, will codeblocks be working from there?

Thanks!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:04 am »
what is the console output?

odie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:49:56 am »
what is the console output?
Good question.
i get back tonite and run it again, cos even with my built yesterday, it still happens.
I believe today's built might still recreate this issue, hopefully. I get us the console output later and post tml!

Offline SharkD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33:25 pm »
I have had problems on the +farm map where the game would drop me back to the main program screen when the map tried to load. I fixed this by reverting to an earlier save prior to when the flightpath was set to the particular location.

I also didn't copy the console text.

Offline viktormg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:21 am »
Ok  i have the same problem ... but on crash ufo maps and just sometimes not always so i check the console output:
PC_SPAWN: Could not spawn child particle for : 'fire'
Too many particles (don't add bumFlame) exceeded 2048

Offline viktormg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:59 am »
After i updated and recompiled the game today the game again crashed but with new ERROR: Negative TU costs while walking

odie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:16 am »
Ok  i have the same problem ... but on crash ufo maps and just sometimes not always so i check the console output:
PC_SPAWN: Could not spawn child particle for : 'fire'
Too many particles (don't add bumFlame) exceeded 2048

Ah yes, i have similar errors too.....

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »
is this still true for you? i've fixed a fire related particle script error a few days ago

odie

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:43 am »
is this still true for you? i've fixed a fire related particle script error a few days ago
Hi mattn,

I went back and tried out 24020 yesterday night. (Using the same exact save game i kept for this purpose).

It is still the same - random crashes when i shoot. And i noticed it seemed like usually from my side that caused the issue. To recap, the crash occurs like this:

Enter Mission.
Successfully load mission.
Move soldiers.
Meet enemies.
Shoot. Sometimes perfectly ok.
Yesterday, i managed to even kill 3 of the aliens.
On sighting 4th, i got reaction fire which did not kill me.
Fire back.
Suddenly, back at 3D-Geoscape.
Mission remains.
Firebird still there at location on site.
Soldiers alive. (Though with the same injuries gained from battle).
I click enter mission.
Game freeze.
Have to force quit.

WinXP SP3 x86 machine.

I did notice something strange though before i force quit the application.
ddwin (did i spell tat wrongly), it was using an incredible amt of memory resources, like 250++MB of ram. I had to use an application "IBProcMan.exe" to force quit it, as windows ALT CTRL DEL seemed ineffective. -.-"

After that, i can still reload game and it would be fine (up to the battle stage, where bugs repeat themselves).

I employed so far - sniper rifle, laser rifle and machine gun. I do have a rocket launcher too.
If required, i attach the save game for us here tml. I have it @ home in my lappy.

The map is same.

odie

Re: Crash from Combat in [+farm] and [Tropical UFO] Maps (Save Game)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:19:21 am »
Okie,

I am back with the save game.

Use the file:
Slot3

Its the most recent save where the mission is found i thnk somewhere in bangkok.

PS: Could we enable extensions *.rar too pls? I am using winrar and it compresses better. 

[attachment deleted by admin]