project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Silly idea... Lego!  (Read 3135 times)

Offline SharkD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Silly idea... Lego!
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:27:37 am »
This may sound like a silly idea, but I ask the same question for every open source game. :D Have you ever thought of using LDraw to generate all your models?

Advantages:
* Well-suited to grid-based games (element sizes change/grow in discrete steps).
* Huge existing library of part elements. Few elements would need to be constructed from scratch.
* Wide-spread familiarity and low learning curve should make it easy to attract new art contributors.
* Everything looks like Lego!

Disadvantages:
* An intelligent conversion utility does not exist. Hidden and coincident surfaces would need to be merged/trimmed, and additional poly-reduction steps might need to be taken (by default, LDraw models use *huge* numbers of polygons).
* The part elements are in a transition period where some parts have transitioned over to the CC-AL license, while others have not. (See here.) The intent is that *all* parts will eventually be released under this license. I'm also not exactly sure this license is GPL-compatible.
* Everything looks like Lego!

Here's an example of what one person was able to do in this regard. Notice that the images are in-game screenshots! Except that the hard part of the conversion was done by hand instead of using a dedicated tool.

Obviously, the lack of a converter is the big barrier. And, the license may not be compatible. However, the time it would take one intelligent coder to write such a converter would be much less than the time required to create large amounts of brand new content.

I realize the project might be too mature at this point to scrap all the existing content, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:45:21 am by SharkD »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Silly idea... Lego!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:36:20 am »
Note that our game isn't "grid-based", at least not when it comes to models. The maps are grid-based, I suppose, but maps aren't models.