project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Place to upload test binaries (possible solution)  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Place to upload test binaries (possible solution)
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:28:39 pm »
OK, seeing that FileFront is going bye-bye (something I'm quite pissed about, but that's another story), I've looked at terms and conditions on my own website's hosting service and found that they are rather non-specific about how much of a website is used for files as opposed to HTML, and that they usually offer warnings when they think a user is pushing it, so here is what I'm going to do:

- I'm going to first clean up my own website (which badly needs updating anyways) and remove all the old junk cluttering the server

- Seeing the hosting plan I have has lots of support for multiple user accounts and such, I'll research - again - how to set up accounts for others, something I'll find out about in the next week or so

- I can try gradually allowing people from here to open accounts and upload things to my website, and,

- We can just see how it goes.  If I get warnings, I can taper off and put limits on how many installers are up at a time.

My hosting plan says "unlimited" for storage space and bandwidth, although it also talks about that being within reason, which isn't specifically defined.

If it seems to go OK, I can hopefully later add sections for Mac and Linux installers, depending on what happens.

odie

Re: Place to upload test binaries (possible solution)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:37:29 am »
Oooo, tat be good Destructavator!

Btw, i think Mozyhome can share up to 2 GB for each user.
Problem is u need to set it as backup, and need a client, plus, an accnt - though all for free....

Not sure if this allows public domain sharing...... though i would really look forward to ur sharing! :P

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:10:08 am »
Btw, i think Mozyhome can share up to 2 GB for each user.
Mozy is for PERSONAL backup, you can't share with others!
May be www.wuala.com could be usable...?

odie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:56 am »
Mozy is for PERSONAL backup, you can't share with others!
May be www.wuala.com could be usable...?

Yupz, i know. But i read somewhere within that it can be shared on networks.... was fiddling with it to see if it can be expanded to IP sharing / www sharing..... :P

I am going to try wuala now. :P See if it works out. With 1GB, i can at most share 1 file at a time, maybe i alternate b/w 2 accnts..... lol

Fyi: I will be holding Odie :P

*Edit*
Okie back!

I have created an accnt and uploading in progress....
For those who can help me check:
Odie's Wuala Folder

According to the help file, you should see a shared folder with my key there auto.
You should see a file, but dun bother downloading anithing yet. Why? Cos, 553MB takes a few hrs to upload. I keep us posted here.

:P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:46:48 am by odie »

odie

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:53:19 am »
Okie, forget abt filefronts and wulao ....

I found something tats real cool like filefront:
Nakido

I am uploading today's build for myself overnight..... looks like there is no 10 hrs limit.

If all goes well, i should have an updated version by tml morning (4pm now, so tats abt 18hrs from now).
I understand that there have been abt 100 revisions from my last (abt 50 from muton's last).

So, here goes later....

*Edit*
R23788 at Nakido..... another 45% to go.... it seems like nakido is a bit slow.... perhaps due to my initial startup, ports for firewall config and stuff....

Aniwae, keep your eyes peeled here for more updates now that its uploading .... :)

Destructavator : I am still keeping a good lookout for the possibility of tapping your server. :)
Cheers! Knocking off for the day!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:19:13 am by odie »

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
Yupz, i know. But i read somewhere within that it can be shared on networks.... was fiddling with it to see if it can be expanded to IP sharing / www sharing..... :P
Nope. You'd need to give your private key to anybody to achieve that, and that's definitely NOT what you want to do. ;)

I am going to try wuala now. :P See if it works out. With 1GB, i can at most share 1 file at a time, maybe i alternate b/w 2 accnts..... lol
If you activate sharing your capacities, the longer the PC is on you'll get more GB of storage. Mine e.g. is currently about 10GB, and it's off by night. B)

According to the help file, you should see a shared folder with my key there auto.
You should see a file, but dun bother downloading anithing yet.

what key? The folder is there, yes. But the file will not show up before it's finished!

The good thing about wua.la is that the shared files are on (normally quite fast) servers and also Bittorrent-alike downloaded from spread sources. I've got quite good rates most of the time.

Whatever this Nakido may be - the last 10 times I checked there, "the server is too busy, use download manager" - no thanks. :(

odie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 08:45:20 am »
Nope. You'd need to give your private key to anybody to achieve that, and that's definitely NOT what you want to do. ;)
If you activate sharing your capacities, the longer the PC is on you'll get more GB of storage. Mine e.g. is currently about 10GB, and it's off by night. B)

what key? The folder is there, yes. But the file will not show up before it's finished!

The good thing about wua.la is that the shared files are on (normally quite fast) servers and also Bittorrent-alike downloaded from spread sources. I've got quite good rates most of the time.
Okie, Wuala is out. It sux. Lol

Bittorrent? It sux too..... Esp locally and across some countries. I know of many ISPs who dun like torrents very well.....

On other hand.....

Whatever this Nakido may be - the last 10 times I checked there, "the server is too busy, use download manager" - no thanks. :(

Ah ha, u should try this then. Perhaps it was not doing very well because i have not finished uploading.... and according to ur date / time, it wasnt. Hence perhaps u experienced the well....... busy signal. Try it now and it should do fine.

UFOAI R23788 Developer's Build

Look peeled for more to come on this. :)

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:39:53 pm »
Okie, Wuala is out. It sux. Lol
Why? (may be better via PN)

Bittorrent? It sux too..... Esp locally and across some countries. I know of many ISPs who dun like torrents very well.....
pfff... What about using a more flexible client which utilizes non-standard ports? I've heard that's possible and circumvents most ISP blocking (unless they suppress ANY fast downloading). Luckily I don't have this problem...
The only thing against it I can see - you always need at least one person online, and download speed depends on the combined UL speed of all seeding users. A hosted service often brings better rates.

Ah ha, u should try this then. Perhaps it was not doing very well because i have not finished uploading.... and according to ur date / time, it wasnt. Hence perhaps u experienced the well....... busy signal. Try it now and it should do fine.
nope, same thing. Also with any other file I try to get there. Tries to force me to register/login! May be this DL manager is a software I need to install then? Bah!
To use your words ;) : really suxxx!

Anyway, I just wanted to test how it would behave here. Since I managed to install compiler etc., now I'm using SVN. Once it's running a really great experience (small downloads, mostly short compilation time)!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:41:30 pm by Borsti67 »

odie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:42 am »
Anyway, I just wanted to test how it would behave here. Since I managed to install compiler etc., now I'm using SVN. Once it's running a really great experience (small downloads, mostly short compilation time)!  ;D
Yupz, i am on SVN now. Just providing the compilation for those who find the SVN setup a hassle, or those w slower computers - aka compilations.

Btw, do remember to update and clean build your maps from time to time, esp when large maps components are updated ok?

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07:38 pm »
Yupz, i am on SVN now. Just providing the compilation for those who find the SVN setup a hassle, or those w slower computers - aka compilations.

Btw, do remember to update and clean build your maps from time to time, esp when large maps components are updated ok?
yeah, until I got SVN up and running I appreciated the builds of Devastator (and you engagement) very much!

Normally I just use the batch w/o parameter. After updating from SVN I'm checking the update-comments if there's something about changes in pathfinding (I was told in IRC that this would break the maps and the batch cannot "see" this). Clean build takes more than 1,5 hrs here so I try to avoid it... ;)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 01:57:00 am »
NOTE TO EVERYONE
I went to FileFront today (April 2nd), and saw a notice that FF has been re-aquired by the orgional founders, and will not be closed.

So, while this thread is good for back ups and alternatives, I vote we keep File Front as the main place to upload installers

odie

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:16:51 am »
NOTE TO EVERYONE
I went to FileFront today (April 2nd), and saw a notice that FF has been re-aquired by the orgional founders, and will not be closed.

So, while this thread is good for back ups and alternatives, I vote we keep File Front as the main place to upload installers
To those who din see the announcements:

FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to suspend FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) 1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront suspending its operation was NOT an early April Fool's joke.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER suspend FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

PS: I might still consider putting in nakido for now - It allows me to upload and forget, instead of filefront's 10 hrs limit. (If i put it overnight, i tend to overstep 10 hrs limit - pfffft). Plus my isp dun seemed to like filefront alot. Lol. Though i will still upload to it if its early enough. :P

odie

Filefront Still Down - For Upload Servers
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:27 am »
I tried to upload a latest version to Filefront....

After some 3 hrs, it says, "Upload servers still offline".

Hence.... lookout for my new rebuilt at nakido..... *Just started uploading in a while ago....sigh*

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 03:58:55 am »
Glad to see FileFront is slowly coming back - that's one major headache I won't have to worry about now with my website...

I'm guessing at some point once the new (old) people at FileFront get settled in and everything that at some point they will re-establish a working upload service.  Until then, I'll probably just use my personal website as I've done in the past.

Sorry I was out for a bit, someone in my family was just in a very serious accident - a number of broken bones, a night in a hospital emergency room, and now being stuck in a wheelchair for probably about a month and a half - which has been slowing down work and all my other little projects and such.

Related to that last note, I'm still working on the soldier models as well, but as I've said everything is being slowed down temporarily.

odie

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:04 am »
Sorry I was out for a bit, someone in my family was just in a very serious accident - a number of broken bones, a night in a hospital emergency room, and now being stuck in a wheelchair for probably about a month and a half - which has been slowing down work and all my other little projects and such.

Oh dear dear.....i am so sorry to hear abt this news, destructavator.

I hope that things are beginning to pick up now. Your immediate family member??
I guess u be needing to spend quite a lot of time with him/ her now. Take good care of urself too ya??

Glad to see FileFront is slowly coming back - that's one major headache I won't have to worry about now with my website...

On this, i have verified that filefront is up again! Yayness! I managed to test upload a small file and it works.

Now i am back to uploading to the filefront again! Btw, i will still use nakido if i need to upload overnight haha. So, stick with that too. :P
:)

Take care too ya?