project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Wish to discuss a possible bug..  (Read 3085 times)

BigFan

Wish to discuss a possible bug..
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:13:54 pm »

G'day all, let me 1st start by saying im a Bigfan of the original Xcom-Enemy unknown and as my name states im also a bigfan of your new version.. (plz forgive any mispelling in this post)

You guys have done a marvellous job at recreating one of my most favorite games, i used to play this on the ol' playstation1 console.. that is until my mates sister decided the cd looked like a very tasty dounut.
(just for laughs.. believe it or not after taking a big bite out of the cd, not sure how she did it, the game still worked, altho the music would fail about 3 mins after loading the game.. no great loss imo)  ;D

I understand that this is a work in progress so i wont sit here saying what i think should be in the game that isnt already, ill jsut wait for the end product and see how it goes...

Atm im a decent way into the game, have base's loaded on all continent's and i think i found the games credit cap of 10mil, aliens are ariving in ever increasing numbers and im currently stuck on a level called
+shelter (great looking level, would be fun in MP)
i just can't seem to find this last bloody alien.. as ive already said i am an old school fan of X-com so i know the drill about hunt, hunt and hunt some more until you find the little buggers.. but ive posted guards at locations that leave not one part of the corridoors unwatched.. ive skipped mass amounts of turns hoping the alien would walk out and make his presence known.. after that didnt work, i then moved 1 unit at a time down his respective passage and walked into all siderooms still nothing.. i then proceded to check the stairwell's..again nothing... its starting to drive me insane.. this is not the only level i have noticed the lack of the last alien.. and very small map did the same thing.. on that particular map there was no way in hell he was hiding from me, the size of the map jsut wouldnt allow it...

anyway's.. just wondering if anyone else is having the same prob.. if it is a known bug/issue..
i owuld greatly appreciate a quick reply to this as i still have the game in the background unwilling to give up ;).. i will continue to look and ill be back every 5-10 mins to see if i get a reply..

Thanks in advance
Imensely loving your recreation
BigFan from Australia

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wish to discuss a possible bug..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »
Hmm, what version are you using?

I assume it is the latest stable release 2.2.1. I can not say for sure if I remember the correct map but 'shelter' seems familiar. Also the situation you are mentioning is also familiar. It can happen that the game victory condition will not trigger correctly. The only thing you can do is to retry the mission.

I was stuck on such mission once in a map in Rzeszow [Poland, my home contry!] The map was about a house over a small bridge. This annoyed me much cause I had to make 4 attempts to not to lose a soldier as the aliens had lots of free space and had particle beams already. Then I killed every alien after 1h of retrys and had to retry once again cause no victory came.

BigFan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:36 pm »
G'day mate .. ty for reply

I am useing the latest stable release.. was hopeing i was wrong about it being unfinishable at times due mainly to the fact that i ran though and stunned every alien in the shelter for interagation (man i cant spell... red lines everywhere haha) ..

ahh well.. rinse and repeat

thanks again Valis of Poland

Regards
BigFan of Australia

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »
there is also a cheat that will disclose the positions of all aliens unfortunately I don't now it.

BigFan

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
hehe.. cheats.. the last resort of a desprate man... like me ;) ... hehe.. that may still come in handy as ive been fishing these forums for the last 3 hours learning what i can from this helpful comunity and as a result i still have that game in question running in the background.. still on the shelter level.. would be good if i could find that last alien.. would hate to have to run that level and bash them all with the stunner-rod again.. lol..
as you can imagine i died and restarted quite a few times to be able to knock all of the aliens out instead of killing

if anyone knows of this "helper code".. ;)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54:28 pm »
In 2.2.1 there was a map (I dunno which) where aliens could fall out of the world on a tile. I assume that's the case (not sure tho).

That "cheat" must be a debug function which is not available in release builds.

-geever

BigFan

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »
yeah, someone said as much in a post earlier, seems there is a couple of maps where this can occur.
no complaints from me tho, game is still on the build and ill have to say theve done a bloody great job so far..
Keep up the good work Dev's