project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Error in farm map on build 23698  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Rogz

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Error in farm map on build 23698
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:03:49 pm »
After updating to revision 23698, the farm map fails according to http://www.sharkpool.se/ufoai-23698.txt.

Offline Rogz

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Error in farm map on build 23698
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:58 pm »
Doh!

I was a little quick pointing my finger there. Removing all .bsp files in the farm directory did the trick.

However, I really think the build system should pick up required map compilations so that one won't have to rebuild all maps with each svn update 'just in case'.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »
Actually it is supposed to be doing exactly that.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »
However, I really think the build system should pick up required map compilations so that one won't have to rebuild all maps with each svn update 'just in case'.

Read this comment.

Extending it with a side note:
If we change build scripts so they detect changes in mapcompiler or loader then you will need to recompile all maps more often than it's really needed.

Note that you can use make clean-maps target or /clean switch of the batch file for removing old bsps.

-geever

Offline Rogz

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:48:50 am »
That link just proves that search results are no better than the entered search parameters.  ;)

I guess that you could address this issue by adding a new file to the SVN tree, make all the maps depend on that file and bump its revision whenever a change that requires maps to be rebuilt is made. However, that solution is messy and after all... we're talking development branch here.

On the other hand, easier update-build-run cycle will increase testing and draw focus to _real_ problems and improvement suggestions that we all will benefit from.

Cheers!