project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 1798 times)

Frungy

Noob Questions
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:51:55 am »
Hi everyone, first post here, so please form an orderly line for flaming and mockery  :P

First off, I love the UFO: AI project. I really enjoyed the original x-com series and I've been looking for a game to scratch that itch. UFO: AI is a lot better than games I actually paid money for... and less buggy too!

Okay, so here are my questions:
1. Is there an undo button?
I really enjoy the tension that not being able to save during tactical missions introduces, but is there an 'undo' button anywhere? Sometimes I stuff up small but very important things such as twitching my mouse one block too far when moving, or hitting the crouch button twice when I actually meant to hit the 'reserve reactive fire' button (which then stuffs up my careful calculations for having enough TUs to reactive fire). Is there an 'undo' button anywhere that will allow me to erase these sort of little mistakes? If there isn't then no big deal, its just frustrating at times when you're playing a mission for the 3rd time, are almost to the end and then hit 'c' twice instead of 'x'... thus leaving your last soldier with two less TUs than you intended, no reactive fire, not enough TUs to retreat, and exposed as the alien walks around the corner and shoots hot plasma up your left nostril as your highly trained soldier sits there with a dumb look on his face. Being able to press undo just after pressing 'c' twice would be nice.

2. How should I improve speed?
At about 25 missions my team is pretty well developed (although only about 1/4 of them have actually survived for all the missions), but I've noticed there seems to be a strong bias towards 'mind' being developed [is this because of my extensive medpack usage?]. From reading the forums I gather that soldiers advance in stuff that they use, so what boosts speed? Running around without reactive fire (which I almost never do)? Is there a list somewhere of what stats are associated with what objects/activities in terms of stat/skill advancement?

3. What build should I be playing?
I'm really enjoying the game (I think I downloaded the stable build), and I've noticed some bugs, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be playing the more recent (less stable/developed) build, as surely bug reports on that would be more useful than bug reports on the older build? I'm enjoying the game, but I feel a bit like a freeloader for playing the stable build. What build should I be playing to be most useful to the project?

Okay, that's it for now. Thanks.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:13:13 am »
1. Is there an undo button?

Not that I know of, and I've had the same occasional little irritating mistakes you described when I've played the game myself.  I think there might be an option in the game option menu somewhere that lets the player confirm actions before committing to them, if I recall correctly.

2. How should I improve speed?

This one I don't really know the answer to off-hand, when one of the coders notices your post perhaps they can offer an answer.

3. What build should I be playing?

The 2.2.1 (from sourceforge) is the last stable release and probably has the most stability, although it's been quite a while since 2.2.x and as far as I know there won't be another 2.2.x release as everyone is focusing on developing 2.3, an as a result feedback and bug reports for 2.2.1 probably wouldn't be worth reporting much.

2.3 has many new features and a lot of things overhauled, and I think it's a better experience, but it can crash or have unfinished parts here and there.  You're more than welcome to grab a development binary and help test for bugs (there are links in this forum), but be prepared for errors and unfinished parts of the game.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.  If you have any other feedback, ideas for contributions, or want to help, this is the place, here or the IRC channel.  (Although personally I just use this forum as I'm not into chat programs much.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:18:32 am by Destructavator »