project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: W.I.P. Potential new soldier models (Blender)  (Read 31545 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: W.I.P. Potential new soldier models (Blender)
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 01:46:32 pm »
Ok I just loaded the model to see why the texture looks off and realised that you didn't even bother with the UV wrap. So that was probably just to give an example look?

But i noticed that you have internal polys, some are the mirror pane and a lot are in the belt area. Some are in the elbows.
You could also loose some polys by welding the belt pouches directly to the hip. (No one will notice the gaps at distance anyway)

Well, as I said earlier, this is the first time - ever, in any modeling program - that I've started adding a texture to a model, this isn't something I've done for a long time like some of the other people who have been to this forum.  Since that last screenshot and .blend file I posted here I've been doing more work on it, and quite honestly I've only started reading through guides and tutorials on the net on textures in Blender.

...So at this point, yes, this is just a "quick-and-dirty" example, and the whole model texture will eventually be re-done with a better and more detailed one.

By the way, DuKe2112, I noticed you removed your first reply post which had a little helpful information, in particular the example graphic.

I'm working on learning it, it'll get there eventually (Please have patience).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:48:48 pm by Destructavator »

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 11:16:20 pm »
oh yeah well, I thought at firrst that you had done it wrong and I wanted to correct you, then I noticed that you didn't really try in the first place and removeed that.

But you're right that was probably usefull. so here the grafik again.

A wrap like the one on the left makes it a lot easyer to match up the textures over the edges.
Usually you want to unwrap as much continuos area as possible without causing large distortions in the border area

Of course you can map like on the right, and sometimes you actually want to. When it is a different material anyway or you want to use the texture area better. And at least one cut is always necessary anyway.

And another point in the mesh you posted i that you especially modelled the shoulder patches and the stripes on the boots. If you want to add more detail that's fine, but you keep it rather flat you might be able to remove those polys and just do it with the texture.

And besides I probably haven't done more modeling then you (;
I'm still working on my first real project. Surprisingly a human as well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »
Oh here is the guy as he is now, in case he is usefull.

www.freewebtown.com/DK2112/human_base_01.blend

He is supposed to be extremely anatomical for a relatively low poly count. SO it might be a while before I finish him.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:09:07 pm by Mattn »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 11:15:27 pm »
OK, I'm glad these issues were brought up, especially the internal polys, as I've re-worked the mesh from head (actually neck) to toe and found that about half the polys were from messy, internal garbage that just really didn't need to be there when I slammed together various sections, as well as duplicate vertexes, etc.

After all that, now I think it's ready for some details such as a holster and other little stuff.

I also did some studying on textures in Blender and how to UV Wrap and stuff, and soon I'll get there - I think I know how to do it now but I just need to get it done, something I should have time for soon.

I've also got ideas for versions with armor that I think would look much nicer than some of the existing armored models, but I'm not there yet.

(The .zip is the .blend file as it is at this stage.)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:27 pm »
you are coming along ;)

the arms still need some more work imo and keep in mind that the legs and arms must be rigged and animated. please prepare the polygons at the locations (e.g. the knees) - it doesn't look like that is done already.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 08:51:35 am »
Hey Destructavator, just wondering how its going with the model

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 05:33:06 am »
It's goin', just not as fast as I'd like it to.

I had to clean up an infection that sneaked onto my computer (I backup everything, so nothing is lost), and creating the vest on the soldier without it looking like crap has proven to be a bit tedious and more difficult than I thought it would be.

Part of the problem is that I'm not fully sure of how I want the end-result to look, which I think makes the modeling a bit more difficult.

I'm wondering if simply adding pockets to the uniform would look better...

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:41 am »
Yeah, I find that all my work is either too fast or too slow.

There have been a few viruses going around

Well, we could probably do something similar to what was done to previous models, and just have the pockets as part of the texture, and the vest as the equipable armor. Trashman has volunteered to do add-ons (Armor, etc), so when the model is good to go, we can pass it around, get some stuff done, and get a new model in-game. Sound cool?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 11:55:05 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea - I'll start finishing up the rest of the model, the vest would be an add-on, etc.

That would certainly make this much easier for me and get things moving quicker.

I'll get to work on it tonight and parts of tomorrow if necessary.

Question: Is anyone available here that is good with model texture-making?  Or is that an area I'd have to do myself once the shape is finished?  I've already figured out some of the UV-wrapping stuff, texture groups, and seams, but I'm not very good at it yet.

FYI - The latest version of GIMP has a very easy-to-use camouflage generator that works very quickly, if someone else wants to do the texture.  Otherwise, if no one volunteers I guess I'll do it myself...

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 12:31:14 am »
I dont know how good you are with the UV-unwrap, but I could load it into Maya, where I have quite a bit of experiance doing UV texturing.

Actually....come to think of it, I could probably fix the old model in Maya. Can we do 2 seperate male soldier models?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:25 am »
Sure, if you have more experience with this and can help get this moving quicker, go for it - attached in the .zip are two .blend files that are the most recent before I "ruined" things trying to add a vest.  One is just a half, which can be mirrored to make a complete model.

I've gotta warn you though, both of these still have a few issues, with a slightly mucked up neck, a belt that's too thin, and...  uh, well, you'll see when you open the files and start working on them...    :P

BTW, if it turns out you can get a working model completed quicker and better than I do, based upon these, I'll let you go ahead and pick a license that will fit with the game - I'm not going to bother with protecting these models in their current form with any restrictions, it just isn't worth it.  (If any of the devs want to be meticulous with the licensing thing, I guess in the credits you could say "started by Destructavator" for anything based upon these models.)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »
I updated and fixed some more stuff with this one:

- Many internal polys and edges were removed
- Many unnecessary vertexes, extra details on the surface that weren't needed are merged and simplified
- Places where joints will be, especially elbows and knees, are more clearly defined
- Seams have added in places in preparation for texture groups, when I get to creating a texture
- I fixed the mucked-up neck, which was messy before
- I did some work on the arms to make them look better
- I thickened the belt which was too thin before

I feel this one is almost ready for texturing, and then adding a skeleton for animation.

Edit: Since posting the attached .blend file and screenshot I've also fixed an issue with the back of the torso.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:18:35 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 05:32:35 pm »
Hmmm...  I did a quick test of the texture groups to see if they would work, and they do, but they don't look anywhere near as good as I'd like them to.

If anyone good at texturing wants to step in with this version, feel free to speak up - Apparently I'm not very good in this area.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 06:32:09 pm »
IMHO, you should divide the body in half... makes it easier to texture it - just mirror. Also saves space and you can put more detail in the texture map.

As for unwrapping the body itself to get a nice surface for texturing...eh. Can't help you there.  Didn't figure that one out myself.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:49 pm »
Doom3 models are often not splited, then maybe its not need at all.

And maybe the UFO:AI engine can't support more than one texture per model. For example model skin we see on the GUI are custom by an only one cvar (then only one texture?). But i am not sure.