project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: new and confused..  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Arcatus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
new and confused..
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »
Hello everyone.

First of all; let me congratulate the developers with a great game. I am impressed, and have had allot of fun with it.

I am thinking about contributing, and to test the waters I decided I should do a small patch (I hope that is the right term..)

Right now all my soldiers grabs their gear when a UFO is approaching the base... but then they go and hide in the bathroom.  ::), so I want to make a small patch that moves the soldiers from the inside to the outside during a base attack.

I started following the mapping tutorial, but immediately I have ran into a problem; my uforadiant file is not an executable! It is a 46MB file without any file extension, and simply adding the .exe gives me a windows error.  :-\

I hope I don't need to download all the required software and compile it myself, as this was only going to be a small project to familiarize myself with the basics....  

//edit ; Found a working map editor on the downloads page - the link in the tutorial doesn't work...

//edit 2; And that was the new maps complied :)  Once I figure out how to package the patch I'll upload it  ;D  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:35:09 am by Arcatus »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: new and confused..
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:17 am »
Right now all my soldiers grabs their gear when a UFO is approaching the base... but then they go and hide in the bathroom.  ::), so I want to make a small patch that moves the soldiers from the inside to the outside during a base attack.

Where would you put the spawn-points? - Just because I see no problem with them.

-geever

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:14 am »
but then they go and hide in the bathroom.

Its always a good idea to go to have a voided bladder (i hope the translator worked right) just before the aliens attack.

Offline Arcatus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »
Where would you put the spawn-points? - Just because I see no problem with them.

-geever

hm, yes, I've just seen that these spawnpoints have been subject to heated discussion, but having the soldiers inside the base made no sense to me so I made a patch. It's the beauty of an open environment.

What I've done is;
  • Removed all inside human spawnpoints
  • Placed human spawnpoints just inside the main entrance and a few in the top level in the main hangar
  • Removed all alien spawnpoints (since most of these were now in the same area where I placed the human spawnpoints
  • Placed alien spawnpoints outside; near the walls or "ontop" of several buildings

The end result is not easy, and that was never my intention. On a play-trough only one brave solider defended the hangar, and I needed several restarts to figure out how he could handle the aliens creeping up on him from several corners.  ;)       

Offline Dusk Raven

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
Out of curiosity, why did you want to move the soldiers to the outside? Spawning in the Command Center seemed a reasonable place to start... although having to move to the hanger is always rather annoying.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:25:15 pm by Dusk Raven »

Offline Arcatus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »
Out of curiosity, why did you want to move the soldiers to the outside? Spawning in the Command Center seemed a reasonable place to start... although having to move to the hanger is always rather annoying.

Yea, the spawn-points in the CC kinda made sense so my next step and opportunity to learn more is that I want to create a hole in the roof of the command center as a possible third point of entry. (that is where the aliens want to go, so why bother with the long way around if you got a fighter with a big gun on it ... pew-pew ;)  )
In addition it would be fun to create other signs of (air) combat. The way I see it the UFO don't just nicely land nearby and drop off the aliens - they are there to do some damage!

But I haven't figured out how to correctly distribute the mod (or is this a patch?) Could someone point me in the right direction?