project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Request: A "make clean" option in the installers  (Read 2081 times)

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Request: A "make clean" option in the installers
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:40:55 am »
I'd like to request a "make clean" option in the installers.

In the other thread, I described what happened when I tried to compile the 2.3 developer version on the mac. Due to an error, one step -- "make lang" -- somehow got missed, and then would not clearly get put back into the final app package. Manual attempts to "make copydata" did not clearly recopy the data. Checking timestamps did not show that any attempt to force a fresh recopy of the data were successful.

Now, normally I'd just be certain by blowing the .app and -universal directories away, and rebuild them. But there is no "clean" target. And looking at the Makefile shows this:

bundle_dirs:
        @mkdir -p UFOAI.app/base
# These are part of the svn repository as directories
#       @mkdir -p UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS
#       @mkdir -p UFOAI.app/Contents/Frameworks
#       @mkdir -p UFOAI.app/Contents/Libraries

So, while ideally I would just blow away UFOAI.app, and rebuild it, I find that part of it is "stuck" -- it came with the original download, and is assumed to be there. So there is no easy way to force the .app to be rebuilt from scratch.

In fact, looking over the makefile setup, it seems (please correct me if I'm wrong), that the system tries to first make the .app, and then it creates ufoai-2.3-dev-macosx-$TARGET (ppc, x86, or universal) from that. But if part of the build was made as one type, and the final "assembly" is made as another type, that doesn't necessarily mean it will match up. In that case, cleaning everything out and starting over makes sense.

But right now I can't see any way to do that "clean and start over" without going all the way back to a fresh download of the whole thing. It took me longer to download the code than to compile the code.

Koryon

Re: Request: A "make clean" option in the installers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 01:32:03 am »
Were you able to find any solution towards a better make clean?  Even an idea of what to delete that make clean doesn't would be helpful at this point.

Every time I update my release there are problems.  Either the build fails at the linking stage for undefined references (no warnings in the compiling stage).  Or if it builds, then it crashes when I go into the campaign submenu complaining about resources not found.

Either way the only way I can fix it right now is to rm -rf, re-checkout and wait...

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Request: A "make clean" option in the installers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:20:06 pm »
At the moment,
make clean
make clean-maps (or was it map-clean?)
Blow away the .app and .dmg files manually
svn up to restore the .app framework.

I don't remember if the .pk3 files are removed, or if I had to remove those manually.

After that, a make && make maps && make lang works nicely.