project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Terrain types  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Terrain types
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:53:45 pm »
Okay I have decided to try to make a small contribution to the map development by submitting sketches for talented modelers/mappers for porting into in-game objects. I have a couple of questions:

A. Bladerunner style Billboards: a useful sniper perch with one or two thick poles providing ground cover as well, the billboard would consist of a narrow catwalk that runs along all sides of the bill board, and is accessible via a ladder on two sides of the billboard. 3  questions for this one:
1.) are ladders doable in this game?
2.) if not, would it be possible to use a very thin stairway?

B. Glasshouse/Domed building: more appropriate for either farm maps or out of the way locations, the glasshouse would simply be more eyecandy.
1.) having no experience or skill with mapping or modeling, are transparency effects possible?

C. Future cars: More eye candy, my question for this are more about what propulsion is used in the 2080s for the average civilian vehicle.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain types
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:58:15 pm »
We don't have support for ladders, but this is planned for the future. As for transparency, yes, it's possible to set brushes to be transparent in the map editor. There are two settings, 33% and 66%.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:06 am »
How about high tower buildings with only low level access? For example, a potential skyscraper with only the 1st to (MAYBE) 4th floors relevant to the mission?

btw i'd love to see a mission where the player lands on the top of a high rise and has to fight their way down into the top 2 to 5 levels.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:25 am »
That's possible, of course. All you have to do is make it.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:11 am »
Heh, that means you like the idea ::)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:54:43 am »
I like the idea of someone making more maps.

Mind you, we currently have no real shortage of regular urban/suburban maps. It's other terrain combinations that are poorly covered. Especially low population and Asian architecture maps are in short supply.