project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Plasma powered flamethrower?  (Read 29084 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Plasma powered flamethrower?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 12:10:05 am »
I like where this discussion is going. The rapid fire rocket launcher sounds especially amusing!

I agree (to both of those last sentences, the second of which turned out to be true when I did testing).

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 12:13:16 am »
It would be scary to see how tough the aliens would have to be to keep things balanced with all sorts of rockets, grenades and razor flechettes flying all over the place.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 12:17:28 am »
Yes the MOD I put together did un-balance the game quite thoroughly, especially when I tested a "shotgun mass rocket launcher" which was friggin' nasty!  I didn't have the guts to try a "full-auto machinegun rocket launcher" though.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:42 am »
But try to get your self in the minds of the command when you would face an enemy as fierce and with superior guns as the aliens at the beginning of the game. Unleas you use a really deadly weapon you can not be sure to kill the unknown. I would even immagine that the first alien encounters would look like: aliens spotted and identified as, well, aliens->first squad is send to stop them and is massacred, all cautch on video [a shoulder camera on each squad member] => next alien sighting -> carpet bombing the area, tell the civilians about a terrorist attack and pray that some of the alien technology survived that we can study and make new armour, guns to have at least slight chance in a squad encounter =>next alien sighting -> our guys with better weapons go in but chopters with rockets and a lot of 'safe' weapons are taken ['safe' means a weapon that does not put your soldiers in unnecesary risk, it is better to raze a building when you suspect that there is an alien than go in and risk a close encounter]

Of course this kind of thinking would go against the idea behind this game and I hope it wont ever be implemented. [also this kind of thinking applies to the first encounters, we can assume that his part is behind us and Phalanx is the child of those cruel times]

Note that human weapons are SUPPOSED to be obsoleted by alien weaponry.

I can not agree with this however. At first the alien weapons should be superior but then after we put the pieces together, know more about the threat, then we can prepare our self better. I think that the earth's only chance and its advantage is that humans are very creative in comparance of the 'hive mind' of the aliens that are driven only by the basic instinct of the virus. I mean that the virus in it self has a very low learning ability, it simply has no imagination and has to thrive on the base knowledge of the species it infected. I would think that is the main reason that it tries to infect earth and not just carpet bomb it with plasma and take its resources. It needs humans more for their knowledge than their resources. Humans having alien technology in their hands and a kernblade put to their throat should later in the game invent more advanced weapons that outmatch alien weapons. The same case is with the aircrafts. The only advantage that the alien will/should always have it the number and later in the game I would love to see a 3,4,5 :1 ratio against human squad. [especially in the human raids on alien facilities]

[another oftopic, sorry for that, maybe split it?]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:00:04 am by Valis »

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:13 pm »
how about you geniuses test fire the 'plasma flame thrower' and ill stand 1000 meters away with my buddies and some binoculars and we'll laugh when you melt :-)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 08:06:25 pm »
Heh this discussion isn't really about plasma anymore DP.

What is your opinion about MKII weapons?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:15:13 pm by Captain Bipto »

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:07 am »
What is your opinion about MKII weapons?
The machine gun should be obsolete-able by the xaw95 Gatling Gun in the equipment gallery.

Edit: Researchable add-ons/upgrades for equipment like scopes, new ammunition, & such would also be nice if unfeasible.

Just throwing it out there because most of the stuff in the thread probably won't get into the game anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:27:24 am by Chriswriter90 »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58:05 am »
The XAW95 certainly won't, nor will the minigun.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:42 am »
The machine gun should be obsolete-able by the xaw95 Gatling Gun in the equipment gallery.

Edit: Researchable add-ons/upgrades for equipment like scopes, new ammunition, & such would also be nice if unfeasible.

Just throwing it out there because most of the stuff in the thread probably won't get into the game anyway.

Have to quote the whole thang...

Miniguns are multiplayer only...gatling=minigun (gatling being an early version of minigun...yeah yeah gatling =early machine gun..)  PM Winter with your personal arguments (j/k)

scopes? besides super-duper x-ray magnum scope...other types of scopes already exist and are prolly factored into weapon accuracy except having some sort of IR goggle tech...oh wait that is in the works.

New ammunition and such...this I agree wid. I think that new projectile ammo should become available from kerrblade/alien material research...of course this already was covered.

It'll be in the game I think, just as a mod *whips Destructavator*

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:29:50 am by Captain Bipto »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 10:27:16 am »
A new mod forum has been suggested, but as long as it's all speculation I think it's too early for that. But if you come up with something concrete, I'll make it so you can put it in there.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 10:30:31 am »
*whips Destructavator*

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 01:06:58 am »
Okay, Okay, at some point soon when I have the time I'll finish the MOD I almost completed and upload it somewhere for people to play with...

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 08:25:57 am »
I already did my modifications and I plan to upload it today. I need to test them first and as I have a little ;) hangover I want to wait till it passes so I do not deliver some ill code.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 08:51:12 am »
Cool.  If we're going to have Mods floating around, might as well have more than one to choose from.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »
Cool.  If we're going to have Mods floating around, might as well have more than one to choose from.

Off course, the more the better. We all will have different values and views and can learn from each other.

My mod is available under: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3388.0

Can someone test it? For now it is a version for 2.2.1 but later I will do a version for the latest trunk.