project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Plasma powered flamethrower?  (Read 29085 times)

baybal

Plasma powered flamethrower?
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:23:24 am »
What about that? It would burn enemies by burning the air itself with extreme temperatures of plasma.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Plasma powered flamethrower?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:21:57 am »
This reminds me of the real world weapons post. I think it is a cool idea to be able to get an advanced version of the flame thrower, in RL these weapons change chemicals use as more effective ones come out. Whether or not that manifests into a plasma thrower who knows.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:55:07 am »
I think "Plasma throwing" is better than "burning the air itself", as burning the air would ignite the rest of the air. Oxygen has a tendancy to do that, ya know.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:35:19 am »
Only problem is there is another psot in the real world weaponry (i think it is called) stating that there would be issues being in close proximity to plasma...*shrugs*

I just don't see the point, i'd rather see a rapid fire plasma blaster...oh wait they have those already. I am a fan of having the research tree include advanced versions of weapons such as ammo for rifles etc (not my idea). the problem would be that, as the dev's have pointed out....how can I put this...they do not want the player to only be able to use earthling weapons such as ARs and SMGs with the same efficacy throughout the entire campaign.

But with regards to the flamethrower...I could see there being an advanced version of it using some new fuel (plasma or otherwise) that has been gleaned from the aliens through research.

baybal

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:45:09 am »
It's termodynamicaly impossible. Air isn't so dense matter to ignite by nitrogen-oxygen reaction at natural pressure.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:14:36 pm »
A question to the developer team: Is it hard to add a new equipment to the game?

I mean, would it be hard to just copy/clone an equipment in the game using proxy models from the old weapons?

If it is only an ufo file change and not any real C code manipulation then could someone write a short tutorial for that?

Maybe there is something like tha tin the wiki?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »
I think, for a new weapon, you need
* a model
* item definitions
* tech definitions for them

Check our Scripting article for more info.

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »
and maybe new particles....

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:11 am »
You can actually do quite a bit now with just the .ufo files without touching the C code.  I once played around with just the .ufo files and was able to add special versions of existing weapons, including a repeat-fire rocket launcher that I thought turned out very impressive.  (I didn't upload it anywhere though, so don't bother searching for it.)

I was actually planning on releasing the package as an example MOD for people to play with, complete with details on how it was done, although I never got around to finishing it...

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:32:55 am »
You can actually do quite a bit now with just the .ufo files without touching the C code.  I once played around with just the .ufo files and was able to add special versions of existing weapons, including a repeat-fire rocket launcher that I thought turned out very impressive.  (I didn't upload it anywhere though, so don't bother searching for it.)

I was actually planning on releasing the package as an example MOD for people to play with, complete with details on how it was done, although I never got around to finishing it...

That is exactly what I was planning to do.

Now I have to make a request. Could we get a MOD subforum for such things?

Having such a forum for moders would have many advantages:
- You get a lot of requests and most of them are answered with plain 'No' or 'do it your self' - now you would only redirect that person to the MOD subforum
- it was mentioned in another topic, and I agree totally with it, that the dev team should focus on developing the framework, that means the game interfaces, phisicks, geoscope mechanics and battlescope, less focus on detail design and balancing as that will come later - for now inventing new stuff should be left for the fans [you could take what you want, disregard the rest]
- mods add variety, variety increases interest in the game, not to mention that is would be a wonderful playground for ideas

[hmmm, should I create a diffrent thread for this request]

Back to topic: I was thinking about creating a Mark II versions of the earth weapons that use the same models and projectiles. This would only require txt changes, later maybe I can go into tweaking some models but that will require learning some 3D.
As some suggested it would be cool to have a Mk. II Sniper rifle after researching the Kerblade [and Alien Armour]. The Plasma flamethrower mentioned in this topic is also interesting [after researching plasma wepons].

If everything will work as I plan then I have some ideas about tweaking the research tree.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 09:18:05 pm »
Mk II weapons would be cool. Expanded ammo selection would be even cooler. Expanded shells for grenade launcher, rocket launcher and shotguns should keep these weapons useful for much of the IMHO.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:36 pm »
Note that human weapons are SUPPOSED to be obsoleted by alien weaponry. Such expansions have been suggested (and rejected) before. Of course, it'd be perfectly fine to make a mod to that effect, but it won't be for the stock game.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:28 pm »
I understand this is your guys' baby so there is no point in comparing it to other settings...after all it would basically be apples and oranges anyway.

I think this and the armed civilian idea would be great for mods (as you have pointed out before).

I cannot ask you which weapons obsolete which because as has been mentioned before the balancing of weapons (and therefore the obsolescence)  will not truly occur until the game is completed.

EDIT: A route you could take for a mod or the base game is to allow expanded human weaponry options and increase the lag time of researching alien ones. I understand it is a game, your game, but it is a little cliche being able to understand alien weapons within a month of capturing them. Being able to have several active research projects at the same time would be cool. PHALANX would have their own Area 51 (in addition to UFO Yard {great idea btw}) dedicated strictly to long term research of alien equipment...perhaps not all just maybe the weapons and gear...autopsy/biopsy easy *evil grin*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:34:18 pm by Captain Bipto »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:55 pm »
Back to topic: I was thinking about creating a Mark II versions of the earth weapons that use the same models and projectiles. This would only require txt changes, later maybe I can go into tweaking some models but that will require learning some 3D.
As some suggested it would be cool to have a Mk. II Sniper rifle after researching the Kerblade [and Alien Armour]. The Plasma flamethrower mentioned in this topic is also interesting [after researching plasma wepons].

This is almost exactly what the example MOD I partially finished does.  I didn't have the patience to create new models, so I played around and made advanced, improved versions of existing things, as well as advanced experimental (non-applied)* research-able things.

I made anti-matter and plasma warheads for aircraft weapons to improved armor and Earth-based weaponry.

*When I say this, I mean "applied" to refer to actual tangible things that can be produced (like an advanced shotgun), and "experimental" to refer to a technology that allows applied technologies (such as "advanced gunpowder weaponry").

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 12:07:08 am »
I like where this discussion is going. The rapid fire rocket launcher sounds especially amusing!