project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Getting...static?  (Read 3460 times)

thatdan23

Getting...static?
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:13:21 am »
I'm experiencing an effect with UFO:AI on my machine that can be at best described as getting static.  Yes static like an old antenna TV.  It's very strange.  The weird thing is the game started out just fine and the only issue was occasional hiccups.  I switched to full screen and everything was fine until I got a few more hiccups (pauses) and then the static issue.

I'm using a Intel Q6600, 2 x Nvidia GEForce 8600 in SLI (I've also disabled the SLI) and have the latest drivers, any thoughts?

Goham

Re: Getting...static?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 02:01:03 pm »
I also get the static sound, running 2.2.1, annoying for sure

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 05:58:46 pm »
Are you two talking about static audio only, or static as in your display on the montior/screen craps out for a moment?

I've heard static audio only when playing the game sometimes on my desktop, although I use very special soundcards and audio equipment that typical home computers and even typical gamers do not have, because of my DAW rig and recording equipment for music.

If it is only audio, can either of you offer hardware information including what soundcards you have?

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:51:42 pm »
I get audio static too. It happens always when the music track changes, never mid-song. A workaround is to save, exit to main menu (at which point the static goes away) and load the savegame. I know... works in geoscape only. Using XP Pro, Creative XtremeGamer soundcard, drivers maybe few months old. All audio settings at default (ingame, OS, soundcard software settings). At least they should be... ffdshow codec pack installed. And Winamp. In case this that is helpful somehow. Game version at 2.2.1.
EDIT: Oh, and the static always goes away when the music track changes again.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:57:08 pm by Salvo »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
set the cvar snd_music_crackleWorkaround to 1

Offline Salvo

• Rookie