project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Strategy for winning missions when you can't go up stairs?  (Read 5854 times)

weidsun

Strategy for winning missions when you can't go up stairs?
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:32:35 am »
I'm just curious if anyone has any strategies for completing missions when the last alien is upstairs and on the current version the marines are unable to go up.  Or does everyone just use the cheat at the end to finish it off?  I read that it exists but I can't tell from the dev help which code it is (I found the one that reveals all the alien positions).  Thanks

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Strategy for winning missions when you can't go up stairs?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:13:41 am »
Just relax and wait fix for the bug.

The game now doesn`t intended for gaming

Offline GIJOE317

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 10:01:32 pm »
I just change the level #, and move the cursor where it needs to be  :-\

odie

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:36 am »
I'm just curious if anyone has any strategies for completing missions when the last alien is upstairs and on the current version the marines are unable to go up.  Or does everyone just use the cheat at the end to finish it off?  I read that it exists but I can't tell from the dev help which code it is (I found the one that reveals all the alien positions).  Thanks

Actually, i dun cheat at all, though there are many developers' codes.

I find this esp fun and challenging for Harvesters, where silly aliens MUST stay upstairs. And simply walks around when they are out of ammo - UPSTAIRS! Grrr....

Here's what i usually do:

1) Plant a few deadly snipers around that would be spot.

2) Aliens always walk around too to find out where we are, that is where we can also see them (and shoot them).

3) Be darn patient.

4) At some point in small buildings (maybe 5 to 10 turns), they get bored and actually do climb the stairs down.

5) If the aliens do not see u waiting at stairways or open spot, (which means u can see them too), they will somehow climb the stairs...... (which means u will have to ambush them at bottlenecks way away from the stairs.... a bit of risk there.....

:P

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:51:01 am »
havn't played the dev version much, but so far i have managed to lure the aliens out of their hiding place and down the stairs by placing some guy with flamethrower (seems to be good reaction fire (or maybe i just created a myth for myself)) at the low end of the stairs so that the alien can reach him in one turn.
as far as i understand, the alien comes out to take the bait even if he gets exposed to reaction fire by snipers.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:53:13 am »
If you know which building, flamers work well. Good range, great damage. Machine guns are also a good choice. Cover the stairs, and lob grenades. I have a standard policy of every soldier having 1 grenade, save for who ever is quipped with grenade launcher, for obvious reasons. Either you use all your grenades, or you kill whoever is up there, lol
Havent had much issue with aliens being up there. Only had to wait a few turns before they came down the stairs into the warm embrace of either hot lead or burning gas.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 03:53:32 pm »
If you know which building, flamers work well.[...]
i _do_ know which building.
see through the walls with ir-goggles.
sorry for spoiling some of your gameplay challenge if you have not used them before.