project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some alien robot  (Read 20441 times)

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Some alien robot
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »
Finally I got my hands on that model again. Reworked walk and infest animations + added one for psionic attack.
Death animations are still pending.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 07:42:36 am »
We have another animator? Sweet! Ive been busy lately, and so I havent gotten much done. Do you have access to the SVN? If you do, then I will upload the skeleton that I have, and we can both work on it

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:17 am »
I am not a hell of an animator, just following "do it yourself" approach encouraged by developers to have things done.
Anyway, I have Sourceforge login and can try looking into soldier animation, though being short on free time myself.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 09:22:31 am »
Yeah, I kinda did that while taking 3 years of 3D animation. (Im good if I slow down and take my time, otherwise, things get blocky, badly timed, or just not good)
Towards the end of the animation sets that I've seen, the animation is incomplete and the model has been messed with so you cant fix the animation and still have a good looking model.
So, with Destructavator working on a new model, I set out working on animations (See my 'Animations list' thread).
I figured, for the sake of time, I would just use the old animation set. Unfortunatly, its still a slow work, manually keyframing each frame, and I havent put any....dang it, the word just escaped me...the handles that control the bones...

How well do you know Blender? I've mostly worked with Maya, and have both on my computer, but I cant find any file type thats a good go-between for animated models.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 09:55:02 am »
How well do you know Blender? I've mostly worked with Maya, and have both on my computer, but I cant find any file type thats a good go-between for animated models.

try md5

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:37 am »
How well do you know Blender?

Not quite well. My modelling experience started mainly with modelling for UFO:AI in Wings3D, then I moved to Blender in order to use animations, thats all.

Unfortunatly, its still a slow work, manually keyframing each frame, and I havent put any....dang it, the word just escaped me...the handles that control the bones...

You mean you are not using armatures and animate the mesh directly? That must be a really painful work!

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:27 am »
Mattn: Its not accepted, from what I can see

Zorlen: Well, you can have the verticies move with the bone, but yeah, moving each bone without handles is really a pain in the rear end

Ildamos

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »
The legs and arms are fine but the whole image reminds me strongly of a Droideka. You might want to change the shoulder and the head parts. The downward slope of the head makes it look as if it's the Star Wars destroyer droid.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 08:06:21 pm »
The legs and arms are fine but the whole image reminds me strongly of a Droideka. You might want to change the shoulder and the head parts. The downward slope of the head makes it look as if it's the Star Wars destroyer droid.

I believe you mean original Mantis robot design? We decided not to use it in the game as is, but to merge its legs with the Breeder body. Now it looks like this:

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 12:39:02 am »
I believe you mean original Mantis robot design? We decided not to use it in the game as is, but to merge its legs with the Breeder body. Now it looks like this:

Hi Zorlen, would it be possible to resize this stuff at all? The Breeder is supposed to be a big lumbering mass of flesh, so downsizing the legs and upsizing the body would serve it better if you can make that happen. Thanks.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:12 am »
Hi Zorlen, would it be possible to resize this stuff at all? The Breeder is supposed to be a big lumbering mass of flesh, so downsizing the legs and upsizing the body would serve it better if you can make that happen. Thanks.

Regards,
Winter

Providing no one would say that it looks like Jabba Hutt!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
As long as the body isn't longer or wider than the legs. Not only would that make it look unstable, it would also mean the legs would be very tiny ingame since the unit has to be confined to the 2x2 area at all times. That's a cubic area, and the model's biggest dimension will be what determines its scale.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:48 am »
As long as the body isn't longer or wider than the legs. Not only would that make it look unstable, it would also mean the legs would be very tiny ingame since the unit has to be confined to the 2x2 area at all times. That's a cubic area, and the model's biggest dimension will be what determines its scale.

Does height also count? I mean - if I just scale down the legs, the Breeder would be rather tall.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:49 am »
Yes, height counts too.

Ildamos

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 07:19:34 am »
I believe you mean original Mantis robot design? We decided not to use it in the game as is, but to merge its legs with the Breeder body.

The Droideka look is now all but gone. Nice!  ;D