project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some alien robot  (Read 20470 times)

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Some alien robot
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:06 pm »
Here's a draft of some scarey alien robot.
Surprising as it may seem, but I call it a Mantis. Supposed role - not particularly a combat machine, but rather a sort of field research drone to conduct autopsies and medical/biochemical experiments right on the field, unlike Bloodspider which is only for biomaterial retrieval. Hence the lack of ranged weaponry and not-so-combat-viable layout. Though with alien technology being wastly superior that ours, it could still be a fearsome opponent.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Some alien robot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:48:44 pm »
nice! ;)

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:18:18 pm »
It looks great and not so cute like the bloodspider (;

And about fighting abilities: combat vivisection anyone?
After all, more then half the Tamans you encounter at the beginning are the same.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »
Perhaps it could be a replacement model for the Breeder? It doesn't have some of the required characteristics, such as a body to store organic material, but I do like the legs better. Winter?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:06:21 pm »
Perhaps it could be a replacement model for the Breeder? It doesn't have some of the required characteristics, such as a body to store organic material, but I do like the legs better. Winter?

The legs are better, but this doesn't even remotely fit what we need for the Breeder. Maybe we can transfer them onto the current Breeder model?

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »
The legs are better, but this doesn't even remotely fit what we need for the Breeder. Maybe we can transfer them onto the current Breeder model?

I thought that Breeder was going to have threads, judging by its old model (even Corrupter UFO description mentions threads). Actually I didn't like that part, 'cause threads seemed too much Earth-based tech to me.
Anyway, I put that model under GPL, so feel free to use any part of it. I haven't animated it yet, but it has bones and stuff. Should I make chassis walk animation? (Haven't tried that before, just going to learn)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »
Definitely. Animations are hard to come by.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 11:12:47 pm »
The Mantis looks bad ass, I vote we add it.

Maybe you could render up a combat oriented "Heavy Mantis" with guns & whatnot.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:59:07 pm »
Here's chassis walk cycle along with rendered avi.
It it was moving, it would move ~10 Blender units per cycle.

Maybe you could render up a combat oriented "Heavy Mantis" with guns & whatnot.

I am thinking of some alien tank-like robot design, but for this to look alienish I can only imagine legged or hover chassis, which would make it less unique.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:32 pm »
Thanks for the animation. Can you try supplanting the breeder's legs, as Winter suggested? Sources for his model can be found here:
http://cs.streetofeyes.com/downloads/UFOAI/breeder5.3ds
http://cs.streetofeyes.com/downloads/UFOAI/breeder5.wings

It's also going to need animations for the other states, such as death and attacking. It attacks in melee (to infect an actor with XVI). It also has some psionic capability.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »
Okay, I'll look into this.
Is Breeder is a sort of cyborg then? I mean - is its XVI-infested organic part being a developed (though artificially life-suported) thinking organism in charge of controlling mechanical body? Or it is a robot with electronic brain and XVI tissue is attached as infestation and psionic weapon only?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »
keep in mind that we need at least the animations that are listed here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Modelling#List_of_needed_animations_for_a_character

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »
Okay, I'll look into this.
Is Breeder is a sort of cyborg then? I mean - is its XVI-infested organic part being a developed (though artificially life-suported) thinking organism in charge of controlling mechanical body? Or it is a robot with electronic brain and XVI tissue is attached as infestation and psionic weapon only?

The Breeder has no organic brain as such; both the organic and cybernetic parts are controlled directly by the intelligent XVI in its blood.

The organic top half is what produces the infected blood, and what does the attacking both physically and psionically. The cybernetic bottom half is just for moving around on.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 09:38:30 pm »
Merged model with tentacle attack animation is attached. Opinions are welcome as always.

keep in mind that we need at least the animations that are listed here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Modelling#List_of_needed_animations_for_a_character

Should animations related with different types of carried weapons be omitted for Breeder or just duplicate its normal postures and movement? And should it have crouched state?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:28:47 pm »
Merged model with tentacle attack animation is attached. Opinions are welcome as always.

Should animations related with different types of carried weapons be omitted for Breeder or just duplicate its normal postures and movement? And should it have crouched state?

It's a start! The attack needs to be a lot longer though -- the tentacles reach out over at least 2 squares, pick up the target (i.e. a human), and hold him there whilst replacing all the blood with XVI-infected stuff. I don't know exactly how this will be best represented in the game, it'd be good to have some input from the coders there . . .

Regards,
Winter