project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Naikido Wizardry  (Read 5857 times)

Canuck77

Naikido Wizardry
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:41:18 pm »
Hi, everyone...

I have to be doing something wrong... I'm unable to download from Naikido. I get to the site, and I click "Download now", and then after around 20 seconds, I get the page not found error.

This isn't related to the most recent upload, nor tied to my computer nor my internet (have tried from different machines, different connections). I'm obviously missing something. Do you need to download the "Flag" bit or something first?

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Naikido Wizardry
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »
A lot of people have been having issues with it, though most that I know of are slow downloading speeds

odie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:44 am »
Hi, everyone...

I have to be doing something wrong... I'm unable to download from Naikido. I get to the site, and I click "Download now", and then after around 20 seconds, I get the page not found error.

This isn't related to the most recent upload, nor tied to my computer nor my internet (have tried from different machines, different connections). I'm obviously missing something. Do you need to download the "Flag" bit or something first?

Hi Canuck77,

I believe u r one of those trying to download the nakido dev 2.3 built from my directory.

Yes, alot of ppl are missing a VERY impt part of nakido's upload / download procedure - that is to install the "NAKIDO FLAG".

This flag is safe (a simple TSR program), and it ensures uploading / downloading resume-function works.

Those who experiences a slow rate usually do not have this flag, and hence complaining an 'invalid' complain. Yupz. They are using http transfer (which results in the uber slow speed, cos most likely, they are using IE6/7.... yes, Idiotic Experience x 6 or 7 times (cos IE sux)).

Hence, to ensure ur download is alright, get the nakido flag in first.

If u r like me, using some strange and custom proxies (like proxomitron or some other custom proxies), post a msg here. I am sure i can somehow help u thru. Else, we have plentiful nice ppl here on forum who can offer insights. :D

odie

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:00 am »
Oh yes,

Pls do not ask me why i must use nakido again pls. I have answered this umpteen times...... and for the last time:

1) Its good. No problem for me.
2) File limits - nakido dont give me limits much (UFOAI are typically abt 500+++ to 600MB each installer).
3) Bandwidth limit - Nakido do not limit me.
4) Its fast for me (and my friends.) Proven by each downloads stats for the installers.
5) I can upload and preknow the links (nakido provides me with the download links immediately BEFORE the completion of the uploads).
6) Nakido do not disconnect me for some stupid reasons (like filefront - timeout specifically).
7) And it allows me to continue uploading should my dubid XP machine crash or requires me to restart....
8) I do not host a private server......

Plus, I like it. Thats impt. Yupz.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:02:04 am by odie »

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:56:57 pm »
Odie: While yes, people, like me, dont want to put certain things on, even if they ARE TSR, and run into these issues, its never a good idea to "put all your eggs in one basket"
I understand your complaints about Filefront, but for what is required, its very simple-user friendly.
For the sake of being nice to users that dont understand, or fear things like TSRs, or downloading flags, I suggest going through the list of suggested upload locations to find a good alternate

odie

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:29:11 am »
Odie: While yes, people, like me, dont want to put certain things on, even if they ARE TSR, and run into these issues, its never a good idea to "put all your eggs in one basket"
I understand your complaints about Filefront, but for what is required, its very simple-user friendly.
For the sake of being nice to users that dont understand, or fear things like TSRs, or downloading flags, I suggest going through the list of suggested upload locations to find a good alternate

:D No problem! :)

I also meticulously monitor every single TSR that goes into my memory too. Haha.

As for filefront, its simple user friendly alright, though i believe nakido's too. In fact easier IMHO.

Actually before i went and settled for Filefront (which went down and came back again), I was trying out at least 20 - 30 different hosts...... well, maybe since u understand, i share my woes...

1) Most hosts have files size limits (50MB, 100MB, even 200MB), hence cannot host our installers unless we split em up. Well, I can easily split up installers using winrar but for those who dunnoe how to 'recombine' em, i thnk its difficult for them...

2) Alot of the hosts has maximum files limit (like they give you only 1GB.....). Again, one of our installers can match up easily ~600MB. So, tat would means i have to create a couple of accnts and upload, delete, upload, delete.....blaeh.

3) Most hosts even have a max bandwidth per user / day or month. Well, from records, most of my uploads seemed to have at least 40-60 downloads (average, peaking at 100+-) each. That would means some 500MB x 50 = 2.5GB download each file.... (which gets updated nowadays 4-6 times a wk).... work that out and i dun think most hosts want me there...... lol.

4) Filefront was one of my 2 final choices. Nakido was the other...... (for big files that is). I used to employ Filefront because it does not have TSR and well, does not have alot of java scripts on sight (Yes, i use mozilla with quite a few addons including Noscript).

Unfortunately, Filefront was acquired sometime in late Feb / Early March, leading to a disrupted host for me. So i chose nakido.

Filefront unfortunately came back to service on 1 April 2009, but with some server issues.... which most ppl prob dun notice, unless they are uploading huge files (>300MB). They timeout very often nowadays, leading to re-uploading.

Plus, if ur up/downloads > 10 hrs, you get dc too. So u cant upload overnight. You get timed-out.

So ya, got how i arrived at nakido? lol. :P Thanks for understanding though. Still, i do not dispute Filefront's wonderful hosting! I got tons of files there and from there, and i would love to continue using em. But for UFOAI's cause, nakido's the way.

:D

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:58:45 am »
Hm...I hadnt noticed. I have nothing to upload XD
Since the new (Origional) owners are part of the IGN network, they SHOULD have good, fast and reliable servers....though most of those are probably used for users to download off of from FilePlanet.
I'll take u on ur word, saying that its not this way.

Well, for my job, I dont new versions, lol

odie

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:16:25 am »
Hm...I hadnt noticed. I have nothing to upload XD
Since the new (Origional) owners are part of the IGN network, they SHOULD have good, fast and reliable servers....though most of those are probably used for users to download off of from FilePlanet.
I'll take u on ur word, saying that its not this way.

Well, for my job, I dont new versions, lol
Lol.

And oh yes..... IGN are good - their reviews, their betas, in fact i am on their mailings. Just tat i dun quite like fileplanet..... lol. The way they handle certain downloads. The queue system. Which can be a lil frust. lol.

U should really try uploading business, it drives u nuts finding a good host. lol. Then u will know the frustrations of finding a good host. Lol.

:P