project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: World maps  (Read 3650 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
World maps
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:47 pm »
For a while now I've been playing with the idea of having alternative world maps, which I think could make the game more interesting to (re)play. So I set out to make such a map. The result I've attached to this post. I basically took a fractal generated map, cleaned it up a bit and then inexpertly cloned on Earth's texture. The result is... Well, not that awesome. Painting the terrain is harder than it sounds, and a lot of it doesn't really make much sense (for example there's rainforest closer to the polar area than some ice fields). Also, the map is still too fractaly. I should have redrawn the coastlines first and eliminated the smaller islands.

It's currently just a texture. I didn't make maps for terrain, population etc yet because I'm not sure I want to continue with it. Still, I hope this will inspire people to make more maps like it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: World maps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:02:45 pm »
It could be an interesting expansion to the game to allow playing as one of the alien races.... PRIOR to their infestation / subjugation.  Maybe a feature for version 3.28. :P

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
the map is a campaign parameter - you can use whatever map you want - or add new campaigns with new maps

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:58 am »
An interesting tutorial for photoshop and worldbuilding can be found here: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/6099-interactive-planet-creation-tutorial.html in case anyone is interested.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:18 pm »
You can't view that unless you register first.