project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ideas, comments and questions  (Read 3388 times)

Maxizinsane

Ideas, comments and questions
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:00:47 pm »
I played the game for 2-3 days on windows xp (very buggy, always the same errors but I know it's in dev so im not complaining, certanly not for a free game).

The bug I hate the most is when I have 2 bases and 2 ships with crews and when I click on an alien mission, the 2 ship texts are placed one on the other, anyway

The game is addicting, very well done but I have some comments and ideas:

Oh if something is already in progress or has already been done, dont hesitate to tell me

-In the image, when the game is loading, the scientist's hands are weird, that doesn't look very natural
Download this game for free at
http://ufoai.sf.net
you can't click on that link
Maybe it should be more like
UFO:Alien Invasion is a free game
Download it here (the text would be linked with the real link to the download page at least http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Download)
Why is it there anyway? I mean, if you have the game in the first place...
The title didn't stay much in my head at first.. UFO:AI didn't mean much at the time
Maybe there could be a little more importance given to the title in the loading?
Transitions would be fun.

-Rollovers
There could be a sound when the cursor comes in front of the buttons

-Could we have another cursor choice? I like having other choices.

-Enable/disable some songs (for picky people not for me haha)

-About the tutorials: I can't watch the tutorial completely because if you click, you've exited the tutorial, i'm a clicky click to advance person... i would love to see a control bar for the tutorial, it could also be more like a powerpoint, click, advance, a click advance approach instead  of the way that they are presented now (the tutorials could be presented differently, that's all that i'm saying for this part) The way it is now is okay but in my opinion there should definitively more control, affecting speed, going back in the timeline, having a timeline... I mean... this game is complex at start, I had to watch the tutorial to understand some stuff...

-No robots? How can there be no robots in 2084 (on earth, made by humans)? I mean, woudn't there be more automated stuff, more automatic pilots? I would love to see robot characters that you could control/build with alien parts and the one that mankind create. The aliens do have some anyway, humans would too! In this game, the humans advance by copying alien technologies, beating them with their own stuff, let's go with that all the way man!

-More aliens?
I'm sure that it's already planned... is there a lack of 3d/2d artists or imagination?

-Gameplay videos (optional) There could be lots of videos in the game, there could be one in the intro...
There could be a video in the first encounter with a specie
There could be a video when an alien is captured for the first time
There could be an option in the menu to see the videos if they have been unlocked (seen at least once)

-In the menu there could be the ufopeadia

-Second screen,
I have a second screen and when I put the game in full screen mode, I have this screen to play with but the other is a brick, would it be doable to detect if there is a second screen and put some artwork on it? I have seen a game that did that once. This game is one of the rare ones that doesn't let me go out of the main screen (which is good but, can it be controlled?)

-The menu panels
Moving windows could be cool but not necessary if they are well placed on the screen. One other thing that could be cool is to be able to have control on the transparency of the menus on the geoscape or/and the possibility to minimize them could also be interesting

-More animation in the menu (alien spaceships appearing/moving/disappearing, fireing lasers... whatever!) that could be very cool

-And.. more towards this website...
I know that this game is translated or in progress, but is the website ever going to be translated?
I mean... the game will be translated so I dont see why the website shoudn't have it's language choices...

I hope my ideas aren't bad
Any thoughts?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas, comments and questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:33 pm »
Download this game for free at
http://ufoai.sf.net
you can't click on that link
Maybe it should be more like
UFO:Alien Invasion is a free game
Download it here (the text would be linked with the real link to the download page at least http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Download)
Why is it there anyway? I mean, if you have the game in the first place...
The title didn't stay much in my head at first.. UFO:AI didn't mean much at the time
Maybe there could be a little more importance given to the title in the loading?
Transitions would be fun.

It's a loading screen. It's not supposed to be interactive. So the link won't be made clickable.
The message is there because we found people selling the game on ebay.

-Could we have another cursor choice? I like having other choices.

Feel free to make some. Submit them on the artwork forum, please.

-Enable/disable some songs (for picky people not for me haha)

Too much work for a non-feature. You can just delete tracks you don't like.

-About the tutorials: I can't watch the tutorial completely because if you click, you've exited the tutorial, i'm a clicky click to advance person... i would love to see a control bar for the tutorial, it could also be more like a powerpoint, click, advance, a click advance approach instead  of the way that they are presented now (the tutorials could be presented differently, that's all that i'm saying for this part) The way it is now is okay but in my opinion there should definitively more control, affecting speed, going back in the timeline, having a timeline... I mean... this game is complex at start, I had to watch the tutorial to understand some stuff...

I intend to change the tutorials to something in-game, so you won't have to sit through a sequence. I always disliked sequential tutorials.

-No robots? How can there be no robots in 2084 (on earth, made by humans)? I mean, woudn't there be more automated stuff, more automatic pilots? I would love to see robot characters that you could control/build with alien parts and the one that mankind create. The aliens do have some anyway, humans would too! In this game, the humans advance by copying alien technologies, beating them with their own stuff, let's go with that all the way man!

They're in the works. Feel free to help getting them in the game.

-More aliens?
I'm sure that it's already planned... is there a lack of 3d/2d artists or imagination?

Lack of artists, mostly.

-Gameplay videos (optional) There could be lots of videos in the game, there could be one in the intro...
There could be a video in the first encounter with a specie
There could be a video when an alien is captured for the first time
There could be an option in the menu to see the videos if they have been unlocked (seen at least once)

When can you have them done?

-Second screen,
I have a second screen and when I put the game in full screen mode, I have this screen to play with but the other is a brick, would it be doable to detect if there is a second screen and put some artwork on it? I have seen a game that did that once. This game is one of the rare ones that doesn't let me go out of the main screen (which is good but, can it be controlled?)

If you make this, okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it.

-The menu panels
Moving windows could be cool but not necessary if they are well placed on the screen. One other thing that could be cool is to be able to have control on the transparency of the menus on the geoscape or/and the possibility to minimize them could also be interesting

A GUI redesign is planned.

-More animation in the menu (alien spaceships appearing/moving/disappearing, fireing lasers... whatever!) that could be very cool

Again, if you really want it, make it.

-And.. more towards this website...
I know that this game is translated or in progress, but is the website ever going to be translated?
I mean... the game will be translated so I dont see why the website shoudn't have it's language choices...

The website isn't really being maintained at all, and translation efforts should go into the game before they go into the website anyway.

Maxizinsane

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:34 pm »
Well, I can't really animate living beings in 3D but I could give it a try, I just need to find the source files. (Where is everything by the way?)

Forget about the rest of the stuff, I don't know how to program games, i'll just stick with my PHP/Flash animations for that matter.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Getting_the_source explains how to obtain the SVN repository. The SVN path for our imagery sources is
Code: [Select]
https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/data_source