project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Remake for "David03.ogg" WIP  (Read 10059 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Remake for "David03.ogg" WIP
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
Yeah, after playing it back one more time myself, I really think you're right.  This is actually a common problem in music design, adjusting things over and over until the composer's sense of what sounds good goes to hell.  That and the fact that I made the last adjustments when it was late in the evening and I was then half brain-dead certainly didn't help.

Oh, I know what you're talking about, mate. Same thing happens in writing when you edit something (a sentence, a line, a paragraph) over and over and nothing feels right. In the end you're left with no other option but to say 'fuck it' and leave it for later.

Looking forward to your next file!

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 02:16:32 am »
Here, try this one:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_AirC_1_14.ogg

Once again it got late when I got around to it, but I didn't over-adjust everything like crazy.  Hopefully this one is better.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:10:16 am »
I really like this version, David. You've done something to the guitars throughout and the only words I can use to describe the different sound are 'cleaner' and 'more crisp'.

If I really wanted to nitpick I'd say you went just a tiny bit overboard on cleaning the short solos at 0:33 and 1:19, which no longer sound quite as toweringly impressive as before. They had the multiple harmonies going on bouncing off each other (or at least the impression of multiple harmonies), now it's more like one instrument with a lot of effects on it. Which isn't bad, I'm just saying.

Either way, you're really pushing your game with this new stuff. Comparing your work on the rhythm section in this track and the old intro vid soundtrack a year ago, it's miles away. The guitars too have improved endlessly. Well done.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:46:16 am »
OK, if you think this one should go in the game, by all means you may go ahead and commit it, and I'll also upload the DAW source tracks.

I can also re-work the other songs with the same settings and FX to make them consistent.

BTW, when you do commit this, as BTAxis pointed out I might be mistaken exactly which track this one replaces.

Glad you're happier with this one.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 07:16:26 pm »
i'll commit this to trunk in a few minutes