project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: License/DAW Source files for my tracks  (Read 6617 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
License/DAW Source files for my tracks
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:18:00 pm »
I've thought about this quite a bit, I've decided to be a tad more liberal with my re-makes of my tracks used in the game.

I think I'm going to go with the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, (which allows commercial use,) and I'll also allow use in other projects outside of UFO: Alien Invasion, so they will pretty much be free tracks for most uses, although I would still have to be given credit as the original author under that CC license.  From what I've researched, this should be more than compatible with the GPL code used for the game.

I've also decided to upload the DAW project files for anyone who uses REAPER software who would want to play around with the tracks, I've got one so far:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_AI_Destructavator_Track_1_9.zip
(~25.3 MB in size when left zipped)

I'll wait on the other tracks until I finish re-making them and get them approved.

Also, if any of the developers want to copy this into the data source in the SVN anywhere, they are welcome to do so from my end.  This would also make my life a little easier if I had to adjust or remake any of my tracks again, as sometimes my computers break down, have hard drive failures, etc., and a couple of my older tracks that I thought I still had files for I've lost already, although I can still work on remaking them.

Included in the .zip file is a readme with instructions on how to re-create the track, along with the plugins I used and where to get them.

Offline richlv

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: License/DAW Source files for my tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:46 pm »
I've thought about this quite a bit, I've decided to be a tad more liberal with my re-makes of my tracks used in the game.

I think I'm going to go with the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, (which allows commercial use,) and I'll also allow use in other projects outside of UFO: Alien Invasion, so they will pretty much be free tracks for most uses, although I would still have to be given credit as the original author under that CC license.  From what I've researched, this should be more than compatible with the GPL code used for the game.

great news, thanks - licence information updated in svn.

I've also decided to upload the DAW project files for anyone who uses REAPER software who would want to play around with the tracks, I've got one so far:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_AI_Destructavator_Track_1_9.zip
(~25.3 MB in size when left zipped)

I'll wait on the other tracks until I finish re-making them and get them approved.

Also, if any of the developers want to copy this into the data source in the SVN anywhere, they are welcome to do so from my end.  This would also make my life a little easier if I had to adjust or remake any of my tracks again, as sometimes my computers break down, have hard drive failures, etc., and a couple of my older tracks that I thought I still had files for I've lost already, although I can still work on remaking them.

even better news. going with the "i don't make backups. i just put things up for download and let everybody mirror them" mentality ? :)

few questions, though.

1. we have 5 music tracks from you. how does data in this archive correspond to those ? there are 10 or so wav files with cryptic names.

2. there's AES_24_192sfipack3.zip included. readme in that file is... interesting. while the "licence" probably is compatible, is that the one referred to as "SPEAKER CABINET IMPULSES" in the toplevel readme ?

3. there's also RPP-bak file included - i guess, that's not needed ?

thanks again.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:57:07 am »
few questions, though.

1. we have 5 music tracks from you. how does data in this archive correspond to those ? there are 10 or so wav files with cryptic names.

2. there's AES_24_192sfipack3.zip included. readme in that file is... interesting. while the "licence" probably is compatible, is that the one referred to as "SPEAKER CABINET IMPULSES" in the toplevel readme ?

3. there's also RPP-bak file included - i guess, that's not needed ?

thanks again.

Those files are actually a package of files for just one of the music tracks, the one in the other thread I just posted in with the OGG ending in "1_9" and all of these files in the package in this thread are needed to re-create that OGG.

Sorry, I forgot to explain this for people who don't use DAW music software - Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software refers to multi-track recording programs for making music.  Those 24-bit WAV files inside there are individual tracks to the song, and the other files are data for constructing the tracks, FX parameters, the MIDI data for the synths, etc.

You could kinda say that these files are the "source code" for building the OGG in the other thread.  With these DAW project files, anyone could load them into REAPER (if they have REAPER installed) and re-build the completed track, as well as make changes such as adding new instruments to the mix, changing how an existing take sounds, etc.

You're right about the speaker impulse files, long-story-short they are used by one of the FX plugins on some tracks for the guitar sounds.

All of the files in this ZIP are needed to re-build that song.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.

When the other re-made songs are done, I'll up-load packages like this one for those tracks as well, but right now I'm still working on them.

...going with the "i don't make backups. i just put things up for download and let everybody mirror them" mentality ?

Shit yes.  I've seen other idiots do this, I thought I'd give it a try to save time.  (I do lots of audio and video work, at any given time I've got around half-a-terrabyte (~500 GB) of stuff that isn't backed up because I'm working on it, constantly backing it up would take waaaaay too much time...)

Offline richlv

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:22 am »
ok, thanks. source files added to data_source (i removed the -bak file, though - i hope it was not necessary).

while i'm somewhat worried about the proprietary format/software, that's still way better than no sources at all, so thanks again  :)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:53:00 am »
With regards to "proprietary format" there's only one multi-track DAW program that is cross-platform and open-source that I know of, but it is no match for REAPER as it is very underdeveloped, mostly incomplete, and last time I checked is also a dying project that didn't get very far, so there really isn't much alternative.

On the other hand, REAPER has a mac version and many people also use it successfully on Linux - WINE runs it pretty good from what I've heard.  It is also substantially less expensive than the other major players as far as DAW programs go.

There is also an open-source Linux-based one called "Ardour" or something, but it doesn't work on Windows (at all) and isn't compatible with many plug-ins and soundcards.

The Linux and open-source world has a lot of catching up to do with regards to audio and music production, in this area it is far behind.  Yes, I've heard of 64Studio and such, and I've tried some of these things, but they don't match up to professional commercial hardware and software right now, unfortunately.

Offline richlv

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:40:59 pm »
heya. i didn't want to imply that using those formats is evil or something - just that obsoleting the software might partially obsolete the data :)
to clarify things - does the licence mentioned at the start of this thread apply to all of your contributions (including data_source/sounds/samples and maybe other data) ?
there's some hoping that we can change the listing at http://libregamewiki.org/Libregamewiki:Rejected_games_list ;)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:39:47 pm »
Here is the updated project files:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/Destructavator_UFO_AI_Air_Combat_1.zip

Please replace the previous DAW source files with these.  (The "9" in the earlier link was a revision number, sorry if I forgot to explain that.)  Also, the files inside the .zip here should all be in the same folder or directory, that's how the program REAPER uses them.

I'll be working on the other tracks, when they are completed and approved I'll upload the source project files for those as well.

heya. i didn't want to imply that using those formats is evil or something - just that obsoleting the software might partially obsolete the data Smiley
to clarify things - does the licence mentioned at the start of this thread apply to all of your contributions (including data_source/sounds/samples and maybe other data) ?
there's some hoping that we can change the listing at http://libregamewiki.org/Libregamewiki:Rejected_games_list

If the new license works better, yes, I'll go with that for all my contributions if it makes things easier, that's fine.  Regarding the link, I tried it and it didn't work for me, so I'm really not sure what that is all about.

Update: Just got the link to work now, I have no idea why it didn't work previously.  I'm still not sure what it's about though...

...But yes, if you want you may change the license to the new CC one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:41:30 pm by Destructavator »

Offline richlv

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
thanks. all updates committed to svn.
regarding the licence, i think it there are two main problems :
1. it does not allow _any_ use commercially, which is gpl incompatible. it would, for example, prevent ufoai inclusion in a boxed, sold linux distribution, i think;

2. it prohibits work being used to promote anything else but the work itself (again, i think gpl incompatible), and it would, for example, prevent the audio material from being used in ufoai promotional video =)

again huge thanks for the licence change. we'd probably have to hunt down some other contributors or redo their work, but this is a large step forward :)