project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Number of problems found in Windows 2.3 build (21212)  (Read 14292 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Number of problems found in Windows 2.3 build (21212)
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 01:57:39 am »
Ugh!  The upload didn't quite reach my website properly, I'll have to try again by uploading it overnight.  Sorry, it'll take some more time before a link is ready.  Crapwise, after a little more testing it still had some issues that didn't work right, and radiant wouldn't work at all.

What I'm going to do is update everything again and upload r21433 tonight, and hopefully it'll get up there this time around so I can give a link to it first thing in the morning.  Fortunately, I'm an early riser, I do well getting up ~5:00 AM.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 10:19:07 am »
what is the problem with radiant?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
what is the problem with radiant?

I'm not sure, but whatever it was I think it was already fixed by now as I've updated and packaged this installer:

http://www.destructavator.com/public/ufoai_2_3Dev_r21433.zip

...and it seems to have packaged OK.  The first one I tried to upload (that didn't make it) gave me compile errors, but as I said I think this has been fixed now.

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Number of problems found in Windows 2.3 build (21433)
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 01:13:30 am »
Upgraded to Destructavator's latest Windows build (rev. 21433) and the maps are working much better now. I haven't run into any blocked areas yet. Of course, the aliens are free to move around now as well, so it takes more work to hunt them down and kill them. Now, if only stairs worked again...  :D

Still have run into a few bugs, however:

1. When I start a new game, as soon as I click on the second message in the Maillist (Proposal:Electromagnetic Rifle), the game crashes to the desktop with an assertion error:

File: F:\UFOai\src\renderer\r_state.c
Line 58
Expression: texnum > 0

Happens every time if I run in full screen mode. If I run the game in windowed mode, the error doesn't occur.

2. If I run in full-screen mode, the first terror mission will not load. The screen goes black, the hard drive churns for a while and then stops, and nothing happens after that (stuck on blank screen). If I run in windowed mode, the terror mission (a farm mission, btw) loads fine. Seems like full-screen mode has problems that the windowed mode does not.

3. When I killed my first alien, when I went over to pick up the kerrblade it dropped, as soon as I transferred it from floor to left hand, the game crashed to the desktop with an assert error.

Thanks,
    Ken

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:17 am »
thanks for reporting.

3. When I killed my first alien, when I went over to pick up the kerrblade it dropped, as soon as I transferred it from floor to left hand, the game crashed to the desktop with an assert error.

which error exactly?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 11:37:10 am »
Hello. For the 1st one, Kenner, what language do you use? Thanks a lot.

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 07:37:00 pm »
Hello. For the 1st one, Kenner, what language do you use? Thanks a lot.

I wasn't sure if you meant my language or my computer's operating system, so I'll answer both.  :)

English, and Windows XP.

By the way, it's not a big deal, but since you asked about language, when you first start a new game, and you're asked to choose your name and language, the drop down list for the languages is so long, and English is at the bottom, there's no way to scroll down, so that you can't actually choose English on that screen. You have to pick No Language, and then go into the Options screen and choose English in there. Also, did you know that you can click on other menus on the main screen other than that opening menu before you answer the questions on that menu? For example, you can click on Tip of The Day, or even on the main menu. I know you're working on menus so I thought I'd mention this to you. You really shouldn't be able to shift focus from that menu, in order to force players to answer the start-up questions before they move into the game.

Ken

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 07:49:48 pm »
thanks for reporting.

which error exactly?

File: F:\UFOai\src\game\g_client.c
Line: 958
Expression: fItem

Hope this helps.
   Ken

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:57 pm »
I've noticed the same issue trying to select English when first starting the game.  Perhaps the language selection during first-run should have a scrollbar or some other type of interface, or perhaps the NSIS installer script could be worked on to install a specific default language.

On the other hand, the game is still a work-in-progress, and many parts of the interface are being worked on and re-vamped.

UFO.exe can also be run with a command-line parameter that forces a specific language, I forget the syntax, but I know it isn't too difficult as I've done it once before, among other options (many are kinda cool, like forcing use of only a specific core on a multi-core machine if you are also running a screen video capture utility for recording demos, etc.)

Offline GopherLemming

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:38 pm »
The starting window can be dragged. If you can't select english because it's at the bottom of the list, try dragging the window up (last time I did it was done by clicking and holding on the thin border).

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
In that case, coding a fix would be easy I'd imagine: simply change the default starting position of that window to be near the top of the screen.

I'd think that would be easier for the coders to manage than to add a scrollbar or change the interface.

odie

Problems found in Windows 2.3 build (21433) - Menu Related
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 07:06:16 am »
I've noticed the same issue trying to select English when first starting the game.  Perhaps the language selection during first-run should have a scrollbar or some other type of interface, or perhaps the NSIS installer script could be worked on to install a specific default language.

On the other hand, the game is still a work-in-progress, and many parts of the interface are being worked on and re-vamped.

UFO.exe can also be run with a command-line parameter that forces a specific language, I forget the syntax, but I know it isn't too difficult as I've done it once before, among other options (many are kinda cool, like forcing use of only a specific core on a multi-core machine if you are also running a screen video capture utility for recording demos, etc.)

Ah, i thought i was the only one with this problem until i began reading some of the bug entries. Yes, i do have the same problem when installed - the english does not appear. I was in windowed mode (win XP SP3, English, with Japanese for Unicode default [which does not matter, since main lang is eng]).

Only thing is i have upgraded to R21433 (yupz, i faithfully downloaded 500+++ MB once its up).

Then i switched to full screen and realised english is bottom too. Maybe for a start, u might want to default to english? And for a school of tot (thought) - Maybe have the various languages spelt in their original language? Eg - afrikane, francais, deutsch, 中文 (chinese) .... u know.

Next up....