project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aircraft Equipment Interface  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Aircraft Equipment Interface
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:29:18 am »
I think I have a good idea to improve the UI screen when loading out interceptors, but you might need a programmer to implement it.

When selecting a load-out for aircraft, it would be easier to use choose equipment slots if they were all located on the same screen. It's confusing and obnoxious to have to select weapons to see weapons hardpoints, armor to see armor hardpoints, and avionics to see avionics hardpoints, ESPECIALLY when each screen looks essentially the same. One of the following would be appropriate:

1) Color code the hardpoints (Example: Red for weapons slots)
2) Create hardpoint icons for each kind of slot (Example: Shield for armor slots)

These are both ideal ways to differentiate slots from each other, rather than shuffling through the menus to find something that should be quick and simple. Anybody who thinks this is a bad idea, please speak up. I'd like some input on this.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Aircraft Equipment Interface
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:07:50 am »
I think I have a good idea to improve the UI screen when loading out interceptors, but you might need a programmer to implement it.

When selecting a load-out for aircraft, it would be easier to use choose equipment slots if they were all located on the same screen. It's confusing and obnoxious to have to select weapons to see weapons hardpoints, armor to see armor hardpoints, and avionics to see avionics hardpoints, ESPECIALLY when each screen looks essentially the same. One of the following would be appropriate:

1) Color code the hardpoints (Example: Red for weapons slots)
2) Create hardpoint icons for each kind of slot (Example: Shield for armor slots)

These are both ideal ways to differentiate slots from each other, rather than shuffling through the menus to find something that should be quick and simple. Anybody who thinks this is a bad idea, please speak up. I'd like some input on this.

Absolutely. We want to redesign the whole GUI to be user-friendly and easy to access. We just need someone willing and able to do the art side, and we can work out plans for further screens.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:15:12 am »
indead - please also have a look here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/GUI_comment

it would be nice if you could talk to bayo about your wishes - he did a great job in cleaning up and extending the code already. i'm sure he would help you with pleasure to implement the needed features.

but you should present mockups (like bayo did already for some menus in the above posted article) first.

Offline Josh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:40:36 am »
Thanx. I'll do that thing you just said.

Note to self: A countdown marker for aircraft (counts down the number of minutes until an aircraft is ready)

I have to take a rain check on this for the time being though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:06:17 pm by Josh »