project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Needed: background image for campaign victory message  (Read 6749 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Needed: background image for campaign victory message
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »
We are in need of a new image for use as a background when the player wins the campaign. We already have an image, but it looks more like the background for a "game over" screen. I have attached that image to this post. We're looking for something similar, but using a PHALANX craft. A good candidate would be the Starchaser model Sitters made recently, or the Stingray interceptor. These craft are not actually in 2.3, so they would make good teasers for the end of the campaign.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Needed: background image for campaign victory message
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:31 pm »
We are in need of a new image for use as a background when the player wins the campaign. We already have an image, but it looks more like the background for a "game over" screen. I have attached that image to this post. We're looking for something similar, but using a PHALANX craft. A good candidate would be the Starchaser model Sitters made recently, or the Stingray interceptor. These craft are not actually in 2.3, so they would make good teasers for the end of the campaign.

I can render an background screen, no problem, but first must make the star-chaser ready. ;)
I also render a lot of sky-boxes for an other game, so this is no problem.

Willem

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:14:07 am »
Just today I did a little bit more work on the Stingray. I did realize that the engines didn't have the distinctive antimatter clues, so I've added a couple. (See attachment) Now I probably have to get the things together and release the new files.

I've got a couple ideas for boo-rah type scenes, too.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:35:47 am »
Of course, the more images the better.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:34:09 am »
also please keep in mind to make the image 1024x768 - and please attach them, don't only post links ;)

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:28:42 am »
When this picture will be displayed, a text will also be printed to say that game is over.

Maybe that would be nice to keep some room on the picture to write this text? (a dark zone)

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:10 am »
The top one isn't really for the campaign victory screen. I just thought it was funny to do while I was setting it up. :)

Here's something which probably looks good. (I don't know anymore - when you stare at these things long enough you forget how to judge them. ;)) Opinions?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:17:57 am by Psawhn »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:26:08 am »
I think these look nice, except that there are no stars, sun, etc.  Then again, I wouldn't know if they are supposed to be visible or not at that altitude due to the atmosphere, not being a physical science major.

EDIT: Also, I think Kracken is right about room for the text, unless the text scrolls or appears somehow across the entire screen on top of the whole graphic, which would look kinda cool, although the font would have to have a small outline/border to make it more readable.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:29:24 am by Destructavator »

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 02:55:32 am »
The sun is simple in a different direction. ;) If it were visible in the shot, then we would be seeing the shaded side of the ships.

It's not the atmosphere that blocks the stars, but the fact that the Earth and ships are just too bright and obscure the stars. In fact, in real life even photos taken by Cassini of Saturn and its moons have too little exposure to see stars (except when the photograph is overexposed).
We're just used to seeing stars in every space-themed piece of artwork we see. ;) (That, and artistically it's boring to have nothing but black as the background.)

Edit: Slight tweaking. I think it's nearing completion.
As far as text goes - the bottom left corner is very light, and there's nothing but black in the top right.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:07:16 am by Psawhn »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:00:10 am »
the problem is that it doesn't really fit to the lose-picture - maybe blur the interceptors or something like that - a little bit darker might work, too

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »
No problem. :)

Slight blur, cropped, and colored darker and a slight sepia tone. How's this so far?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:20:25 pm »
it looks much better imo - though i'm not sure about the rays - that's something for winter and btaxis - i've commited it as a first draft

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:03:28 pm »
I tweaked the engine trails. I didn't like that big ball that was overlapping the model.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 11:20:33 am »

I have modeled a while ago a burning city for rendering an sky_box.
Maybe it's nice to use it also for rendering some shots.

Willem

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 11:59:14 am »
something like that is very cool, too - it would be sweet if you could create more like that - see e.g. http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/base/pics/menu/won_bg.jpg?view=markup - we could really need the same for aircraft, too (and of course more for actors, too)

backgrounds with scientists in their lab (see e.g. http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/maps/base05.jpg.php as a reference), soldiers "running" around or fighting, crashed aircraft, crashed ufo - and so on. renderings like that would really pimp our menus and result screens.