project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: White Screen Problem - Vista  (Read 8185 times)

Offline GopherLemming

• Rookie
    • View Profile
White Screen Problem - Vista
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:51:44 pm »
Toshiba A8-180
3gb of ram
Intel core 2 T7200 2.00ghz processor
Mobile Intel 945GM integrated graphics card
Windows vista business
Used the 2.3 windows installer from "http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2830.60" 13th of December

When windowed or full screen and i click on the desktop or another program, the screen turns white. Tried clicking back into it and leaving it for five minutes in case it was loading but no response. Windows labels as "program not responding." Doesn't happen every time i click into another application, and as far as i can tell the other applications identity has no effect, clicking into firefox, for example, causes it about 50 percent of the time. Desktop is most common source. It always happens no matter what the other program if i click out UFO while it's black screen loading a tactical combat.

Another problem is that all character and dropship models (including alien characters and dropships) in tactical combat are always completely black, no textures. That is only an annoyance though, since the only impact is i can't distinguish between soldiers without selecting them.

I have the 2.2.1 latest stable release running on ubuntu (same computer) with no (serious) bugs. I don't use 2.2.1 on windows (though I'd prefer to due to the ubuntu's availible drive space) because of an annoying bug. I will try another 2.3 installer for windows to see if it is just that version that caused the bug and i will install 2.3 onto ubuntu to check for the bug as well once i get a chance to.

Thanks for your help in advance, and i should probably warn you that i'm not too good with computers

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: White Screen Problem - Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:49:50 pm »
try to deactivate glsl shaders with the cvar r_programs (it's a config.cfg var - see the faq to get the path)

Offline GopherLemming

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:40:57 pm »
I found the config.cfg file and read through it but there aren't any references to glsl shaders

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:32:46 pm »
search for "r_programs" and set it to 0

Offline GopherLemming

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:47:48 pm »
That worked! Minimizing and clicking out of the game both have no problems, even when loading. Thanks for the quick replies.

For the annoying black models do i need to start a new topic? Have any ideas for the cause?

Edit: The white screen now only occurs when trying to disable texture compression (trying to see if those options would have an effect on the annoying bug) in options-video during a tactical mission but it may be unrelated and it doesn't effect the game as it's easy to avoid. Also it seems that none of the video options remove the annoying problem. In addition i have noticed that black models problem effects civilians, trees and a cow in a farm level. The exterior walls and the shadows of buildings are both much darker then i expected they should be, but that may be the result of an option i have turned off. I have a ufoconsole.log as described in the wiki bugs section. Should I attach that?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:24:22 pm by GopherLemming »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:27:55 pm »
black models should be fixed in latest trunk already.

Offline GopherLemming

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:45 am »
By "the latest trunk" do you mean the latest development svn available in the downloads section of the website? if so i will try following the compiling instructions tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, UFO: AI is a great game  :)

For future reference is it better to post any big bugs i come across that aren't already reported, or should i wait to see if it's fixed in the next version?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:32:27 am by GopherLemming »

sureman73

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »
It looks like you may have to do a repair of Vista... see John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: Repair A Vista Installation Using The Upgrade Option Of The Vista DVD for more info on how to do this.

Your error is very unusual indeed and the repair may fix it.

goodwill221

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:42 am »
I originally thought that my Windows Vista install had failed when all I could see is a solid white screen when Vista starts. By pressing the windows menu key on the keyboard I was able to get my menu and taskbar and found that Windows Vista is automatically starting IE7 with a blank white screen on startup every time Vista starts. How do I stop this? It is not in the options when I try to modify the startup options.