project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Having Trouble With Reaction Fire  (Read 7201 times)

louist

Having Trouble With Reaction Fire
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:47:42 pm »
Hello everyone!

Just discovered UFO:AI last night and I've been enjoying it so far. However, I've been having a damned hard time figuring out reaction fire. My troops seem to just stand there as an alien runs up and slashes them, even if the have full TUs and have the reaction fire circle checked... What exactly am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

louist

Re: Having Trouble With Reaction Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:01:22 am »
Ah, problem solved. I had never noticed the reaction fire button before  >:( Works like a charm now that I have turned it on.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:50 am »
Somehow, what I've read about 2.3 reaction fire makes me think that I'll be forced to change tactics.

Currently I kill at least half the aliens with reaction fire.

Satanic Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:55:19 am »
Personally I've found that with the 2.3 reaction fire, I have to be more careful about choosing who stays on reaction fire, and who needs to turn it off to get into position, whereas back on 2.2.1 I just used to shuffle forward on reaction fire, it's a good change, makes you think about positioning and covering fire more :)

CapnKill

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »
Well.. so I don't quite get it.

My understanding is that all the reaction fire button does is make sure that it saves you enough points for actino fire.... but if I have it turned off and still have plenty of TUs to do reaction fire, will it still work?  I mean do I need to have that button set to something for reaction fire to work or can it be set to No reaction fire?

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:24:59 am »
ive been having trouble getting the RF button to be checked. I now have 2 units that wont do reaction fire because the circle wont check

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:00:49 am »
You also use the RF button to tell it whether to only trigger RF once (which might be a burst, if that's how you set it up) or allow it to trigger multiple times (which will eat AP).

'Not at all' might be a reasonable setting if you're sure the percentages will be off (tricky, narrow field of view for instance), you don't want to risk hitting some civvie who's near your probable lines of fire, or if you're low in the current magazine and want to wait for a better shot, or if you don't want to give away a location by shooting too early.   If you're using the rocket launcher or you've used so many AP that you don't have a viable RF fire mode, you won't get the option, either.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:16:55 am »
I mean it simply wont check. Full clip, full APs, but I cant check any of the RF circles

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
If you're playing 2.3, I believe it is being worked on.

CapnKill

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:30 am »
You also use the RF button to tell it whether to only trigger RF once (which might be a burst, if that's how you set it up) or allow it to trigger multiple times (which will eat AP).

'Not at all' might be a reasonable setting if you're sure the percentages will be off (tricky, narrow field of view for instance), you don't want to risk hitting some civvie who's near your probable lines of fire, or if you're low in the current magazine and want to wait for a better shot, or if you don't want to give away a location by shooting too early.   If you're using the rocket launcher or you've used so many AP that you don't have a viable RF fire mode, you won't get the option, either.

So just to clarify... this button does more than just saves points for reaction fire correct?

I mean if I have a soldier with full TUs and a full clip and tell him to "No Reaction Fire" then he will not use reaction fire, is that correct?

Was this how it was in X-COm?  I'm having trouble recalling.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:16 am »
'No reaction fire' means just that -- no response.   Never played any of the X-COM games myself, so I can't tell you whether the behavior is similar.

Note -- it is possible that a soldier will choose a given reaction fire mode regardless of your orders.  I think this tends to happen with a soldier who's panicky because he's just been shot up -- he may stick to multiple-reaction-fire, for instance, rather than being willing to burn all AP for moving.

CapnKill

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:59 pm »
Never played any of the X-COM games myself, so I can't tell you whether the behavior is similar.

WOAH?!  You have to play X-Com Enemy Unknown... I mean... I think that's just mandatory is it not? :)  Seriously, probably the best game ever created period. 

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:23:52 am »
Yeah, theres allot of good stuff in that one.
As for RF, yeah. If you turned RF on, it saved TU (Atleast from what I remember...), and if RF was off, then no saved TU and no reaction

CapnKill

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:30 am »
Yeah, theres allot of good stuff in that one.
As for RF, yeah. If you turned RF on, it saved TU (Atleast from what I remember...), and if RF was off, then no saved TU and no reaction

Thats where I thought I remembered it differently... I thought the RF buttons just helped you save enough TUs for reaction fire.. more like a guide, or a reminder, than an actual functionality... but who knows, maybe all this time I had it wrong :)  I just feel that if I left a soldier outside a ship with full TUs and no RF specified he would still fire like a mad man when the door opened :)

But I do like this way better, since I can actually control it to an extent.