project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Capturing aliens: Bug, or am I doing something wrong?  (Read 9109 times)

Offline azureraptor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Capturing aliens: Bug, or am I doing something wrong?
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:12 am »
First things first:  I wish to truly thank all the devs, playtesters, and community of fans for making this a truly _badass_ and worthy heir to the X-Com games!!  I played all 3 of the first, tactical-tbs games, and loved 'em.  I've been missing games of that style; it seems like developers don't really make them anymore, aside maybe from Fallout 1 & 2 and Silent Strom (the latter I've never gotten a chance to play.)

I'm playing 2.2.1 on Ubuntu Hardy.  Never had any trouble up 'till now.  I'm having trouble (I think) capturing a live alien.  To forestall any RTFM-type replies, I've already researched up to the stunrod, and know how to use it (I think!)   I've read this thread (http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2793.0) and all the subthreads it links to.  My problem is this:  I gave a Taman two good single-charge zaps, ignoring his pleas of DON'T TASE ME HUMAN BRO  ;D, and the game said "1 alien stunned", and he did the "alien death bawl" & fell.  Further, in that nice after-action report with the Phalanx dude standing victorious with his smoking gun, it also said:  Aliens Captured:  1.

Problem is, when the Firebird got back to base I had no live Taman in my ready-n-waiting containment unit!!!  Man, the scientists and command were pissed!  My whole squad got grilled; kept getting accused of waterboarding the prisoner on the way back!!   :'(

Has this ever happened to anybody else?  If it's a known bug, I couldn't find any reference to it...  I've been _all_ over the interface, trying to find some reference of a live alien to research, but no go.   ???   Do you actually have to have a soldier manually carry the alien until mission completion?  Do you have to have the given alien type already autopsied before a live capture "functions"?  Is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you all in advance for any help or information...

Offline azureraptor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing aliens: Bug, or am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:46:16 pm »
bump...  Anybody have any ideas, any at all, about this, or how to fix or work around it?  I'd be _really, really_ grateful.  I know I'm gonna be stuck if I can't research a live alien... :(

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:55:15 pm »
I really dont know, but i think i already have a living alien without the completion of his race autopsy.

Offline azureraptor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:23 pm »
Thanks Bayo...hope I can figure this one out somehow...

JohnReaper

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:17:32 pm »
question are you sure its in the base you think it is i did that mith a fleet of ships so i made more then i had Acess ships It was a holy mess

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:34:13 am »
in order to store alive aliens you first have to research the alien breathing tech - otherwise they just die.

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 01:12:00 am »
Is it planned to make the alien containment facility available after the breathing apparatus is researched?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:42 am »
No. It's available from the start.

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:55:02 am »
Whoa hey, I would have never guessed that...

Is it planned to make it available when you can USE it? And there is no use in capturing aliens to watch them die.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »
As far as I know, the facility is also used to store the dead aliens, not just the living.
So without containment you dont have bodies for autopsy and couldn't research alien breathing.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 04:55:57 pm »
the first alien that died due to missing breathing apparatus should trigger a mail to the commander - if someone would like to implement this, i'm sure BTAxis and/or Winter will gladly provide a text for this.

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:29:54 pm »
seems to be relativly easy to implement - there are already checks in cl_aliencont-> AL_AddAliens whether notice about dieing aliens should be sent - this would be the place for additional checks for an event mail... (just one more boolean flag whether mail is sent).

Probably this status should be saved, so this will break saves. Any good name for that event mail define?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 08:11:30 am »
yes, that status should be saved. the mail that must be sent is not assosiated to any technolgy. see events.ufo (also see the FIXME in line 68 - maybe you can try to do that, too?)

the mail from events.ufo aren't used (correct me when i'm wrong) anywhere yet. this should be done, too. they are telling the story (at least parts of it) we really need them.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:24:10 am »
the mail from events.ufo aren't used (correct me when i'm wrong) anywhere yet.

I already implemented ufo_crashed_report and ufo_recovery_report (see src/client/cl_uforecovery.c::UR_SendMail()) (ok, that's only a small part of the job ;) )

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 03:48:04 pm »
added an email to events.ufo, implemented basic code (without load/save).

We have to decide whether this flag should be integrated into ccs (and stored/loaded with campaign data) or whether it should be left independant in aliencont.