project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Bug Reporting Protocol?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline horza

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Bug Reporting Protocol?
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:00:55 pm »
Just started a new topic for a fairly clear bug in the latest 2.3 Windows package. Is this the preferred way for bug reporting, or should we be doing it directly on Sourceforge?

I'm finding some instability in the release that are probably map compilation and other issues - should I be reporting everything I run into? Examples:

Most (not all) maps it's not possible to climb stairs
Had one "false" Alien activity report called "Project Release Version Number" that caused a crash if I clicked on it. Ignored and it went away.
Drag and drop for armour no longer works, right click was fine.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Reporting Protocol?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:03:05 pm »
I'm also interested in the answer. And may I suggest that the bug reporting policy ist posted as a sticky topic in this forum ? At least prevent people from wasting time writing pages of 2.2.1 bug reports.

@horza:
Inability to climb stairs is a known issue and already posted to the SF-tracker. About the others I don't know.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:34 pm »
I'll do something to that effect.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:55 am »
Ahhh...great. Thx :)

A little improvement ?
...the latest stable release
Maybe you should explicitely mention 2.2.1 in order to make *sure* even the everybody understands, like in
the latest stable release (2.2.1)

------

I noticed that in 2.3 SVN code many bugs are introduced and disappear a few days later *without* being mentioned in the tracker nor in this forum. So I assume there is also a 3rd channel (IRC ?) where devs communicate about bugs, like in "Hey Mike, your latest commit broke the blah-menu..." "Ok, I'll tackle that...". This is of course the most efficient way to handle bugs (with the least administrative overhead).

If my assumption is correct, we might be able to take some advantage by telling the users about it (in that sticky thread). Like in:
"In the SVN code, bugs come and go rather quickly. So if you encounter a bug in latest SVN code, just WAIT. Keep updating from SVN and closely watch the SVN-log. And keep retesting even if there doesn't seem to be a fix. If there is no fix within the next 1-2 weeks, then it's time to post your bug to the tracker".

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:48:15 pm »
I purposely omitted the exact version number so the post is valid for future releases too without anyone having to edit it.

You're right about IRC though, I'll add that.