project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: cheatcode: reveal / kill aliens (aka invisible alien)  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Felix Atagong

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
cheatcode: reveal / kill aliens (aka invisible alien)
« on: November 29, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
I switched from the stable version to 2.3dev (x86 Nov18 2008 Win32 DEBUG) because I too was a victim of the alien disappearing act as has been described before in several posts

http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2841.0
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2536.0
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2912.0

Apparently some aliens get trapped in a wall or under a bridge and can't be traced back. The mission, however, refuses to end as long as the invisible alien is still alive.

To my horror the very first mission I did with version 2.3 had an invisible alien as well, so I had to give up after about 2 hours of checking all places... It was on an oriental map with a lot of small buildings (I also witnessed how one of my soldiers walked through a wall instead of taking the door).

Here is my question / proposal:

a cheat code that reveals all aliens (makes them 'spotted')? One could then go there with all the soldiers. If the invisible alien can't be killed like that, there should be a plan B;
a cheat code to kill the alien so that the mission can end...

Whaddayathink folks?

(PS: very nice game, although I like the feel of 2.2 more than 2.3)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:43:25 pm by Felix Atagong »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: cheatcode: reveal / kill aliens (aka invisible alien)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:48:20 pm »
We have both. Have a look at the debug commands (type debug_help in the console).

Offline Felix Atagong

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
Thanks, I will try some of these...

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:51 pm »
Say, what's the word on having all alien visible on base defense (security cameras and sensors and all that stuff)?

Offline Felix Atagong

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:08:23 pm »
Actually I was so fed up with the invisible alien bug (happening to me - 3 or 4 games in a row - with the stable and with the debug version) that I deleted all versions of the game.

I tried to use the debug cheat codes but as nobody told me what exactly was the right code to use (debug_help lists dozens of codes but without explanations) - I gave up - simple as that....

Bact to OpenTTD...  :-*

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:54:46 pm »
You can give up easily like a shy mouse, but even when doing so you could distill suggestions on what to improve.

One easy suggestion I read from your last post is the complaint about debug_help giving
codes with short explanations. (I myself can not really comment on that since I did not yet
try the latest release.)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:35:04 am »
There is such an explanation, in fact. Just type any command and press tab to autocomplete it, and the help will pop up. I think the help text was displayed on the debug_help command previously, but it seems to have been take out, probably because the list is long enough anyway.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:11 pm »
Admittably those one-line comments are not very comprehensive...
Furthermore you have to wade through a lot of cmds that are merely a callback for some menu button.

So a first little improvement could be to add some flag to the registration func saying whether this cmd is to be displayed in the cmdlist or not.

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:34:41 pm »
a cheat code to kill the alien so that the mission can end...

We have "debug_killteam [teamid]" for it - alien team id is in single player games 7 - civilians are 0 and player team is 1.
Also "debug_stunteam [teamid]" could be helpful.

"sv debug_showall" is probably usable to show aliens.

I think its fine now - debug commands should be undercover and in old school way.

hotdog

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:26 am »
 :o

I saw this topic and nearly died. I was thinking on putting together a trainer (cheat device) for the game with these two options built in...for a moment I thought somebody beat me to it.