project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Vista issue  (Read 3239 times)

Pwnzerfaust

Vista issue
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:31 pm »
I am playing UFO:AI on Windows Vista 32 bit (yes, I know, it blows, but I don't wanna pay the extra money to upgrade to XP). Whenever I try to set the game to full-screen, it crashes to desktop.

I read the thing in the wiki about changing a line in config.cfg to vid_fullscreen:1. However, I have a rather peculiar issue: config.cfg doesn't seem to exist.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Vista issue
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:42:03 am »
Okay, first off:  Did you download the release version (2.2.1) or a development build (2.3 beta)?

Second, what type of video card do you have and what drivers are you using with that card?  If you are using Microsoft drivers (that can come from Windows Update) this can cause problems.  In some cases this can be fixed by getting updated drivers direct from the video card manufacturer.  (As an example, if you have a NVIDIA video card, don't use the drivers from Windows Update, but instead go to NVIDIA's website and get drivers directly from there for your video card.)

If you still need more help, please give us more information about your hardware and what type of computer (desktop vs. laptop, Dell, HP, etc.) you are running.

Myself, two of my computers multiboot several Operating systems, both including Vista 32 bit and I've found tweaks to make each one run UFO:AI.

Regarding the config.cfg, I don't remember off-hand where Vista puts that for the game, I think it is in a different place than XP, although you can also add parameters to the command-line to launch the game, such as:

ufo.exe +set vid_fullscreen 1

(That's from memory, I could be a little off but I think that's how the command-line options work.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:46:06 am by Destructavator »

Pwnzerfaust

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:13:01 am »
2.2.1. I also tried the 2.3, which works fine, but that bugs out for me for other reasons.

Just tested the command line thing, and it works! Thanks a bunch.

Maybe you can help me with something else. Almost every time I try to start a battle in 2.3 by landing and entering the site, the game screen goes black and doesn't load. Out of the last six attempts, it completed loading once.

I'm running a Dell XPS M1210 laptop. Video card is NVidia GeForce Go 7400 (256 mb, if memory serves). Drivers are the latest from the Dell website.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:55 am »
Regarding the black screen, sometimes you need to wait a while while the tactical part loads - In my opinion there should be a loading screen there with a progress bar like in skirmish mode, but there isn't.  Please keep in mind that 2.3 builds typically have lots of bugs no matter which revision you grab, although some are more stable than others.

Regarding your laptop, I know that on some Dell laptops NVIDIA doesn't always offer their own driver download for some of the XPS systems and refers you over to the manufacturer, Dell.  (Although the actual hardware design was created by ASUS and licensed or something to Dell, from what I've heard.)  Myself, I've got an XPS M1530 with one of those NVIDIA GeForce Go cards, although I only have 128MB of video memory with it (which is still plenty for running this game).

If the game really gets stuck on a black screen while preparing for a mission, please let us know.

Pwnzerfaust

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:51:41 am »
Well I let it sit for about five minutes each time before Ctrl-Alt-Del'ing.

Edit: Nevermind, I fiddled with some display options and it's working perfect now.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:35:02 am by Pwnzerfaust »