project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GUI - 2.2.3 dev gui revamp  (Read 14964 times)

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: GUI - 2.2.3 dev gui revamp
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:12:40 am »
Well, basically a window like that could be constructed the following way (see attachment). The process would be very similar to constructing a webpage. But in order for it to be convenient in use for the menu scripter, somebody would have to implement some function which would put together a menu like that after inputting the right parameters, or at least a script generator which would generate the necessary Code.

Either way, should i go and try to recreate at least the geoscape screen of the proposed new UI http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI using my modified style? Or should i put together some source files with which people could recreate my design themselves?
Because from what i understand, your stuck with the old GUI because the original creator of the new one dissapeared into the great void of the internets.

Now, regarding another matter. I almost forgot, but when i started playing around with with the GUI, the first things that i changed were the geoscape background and the map_sun.tga. If you like them i'd be happy to send them to you. (see second attachment)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:30 am »
We do still need an image for the starry background. But it really needs to rotate with the Earth, so at the very least it should be bigger than it is. I'm not really sure what the plan for that is though.

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 02:52:27 am »
Well, the way i create it is really fast and easy to use. So size doesn't matter, it can be as big as you need it to be. Also modyfing an existing star background to make it bigger is a piece of cake, so just say the word and it'll be done.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 06:41:50 am »
yes, please (re-)create the image - even if we don't have worked out how we will rotate the starfield with the earth yet.

but the sun is not needed, the sun is rendered and will be replaced soon (tm) with glsl shader stuff.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:49 am »
Hi SoulRipper,

I like the idea of putting windows together with functions. Can anyone tell us how much time/effort it would take?

Also, your current design looks fine, but it won't work for the entire GUI -- for example some windows simply do not contain enough text to justify having a textbox centre. Could you also create a set for building these (probably smaller) windows such as time controls?

Please feel free to rip Blywulf's icons out of the proposal JPEGs, by the way, they should be salvageable and most of them were really good.

Regards,
Winter

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 11:21:38 am »
I like the idea of putting windows together with functions. Can anyone tell us how much time/effort it would take?
I dont look at the code of the popup yet. If the background popup is create with common node(s) (like image), creating a special node to display that is only at worst 4 hours of work (for the left bottom preview). For the last step (the gradient on the header) it need more time (or not). If we want a constant transparency with a gradient of color it maybe to hard for the moment to do it like that (i am not sure the GUI architecture can do that, maybe it need a zbuffer, but im not very good with openGL), if its a "brutal" overloading, there are no problem.

I will done something like that for buttons. If you want, i can create this node this week end, but i only can commit it monday; so, if anybody want to do it, feel free to do.

For name of the node, i think about "windowpanel" (with header) and "panel" (without header)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:44:21 am by bayo »

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 05:18:15 pm »
For stars, one great resource I found:

http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov/stars.html

One problem I've run into on renderings is that a large image for a starfield has to be very large to counteract the effects of a small viewing angle. The images I linked to have 8 px/degree for the larger ones(2880x1440px), which still means that a fov of 64 degrees (like a 35mm lens) only gives a 512x512px image. Going with larger images helps, but you start to run into engine limitations and memory problems

Another method that might work well is to use a starmap and just draw the stars directly using the 3D engine. I don't know what the engine constraints are on drawing hundreds (or thousands) of small pixel-sized dots (maybe 2x2 dots for the very bright stars).

And of course, if accuracy to real-world stars isn't needed, it's a lot easier to use something like a repeating texture for the background stars.

Drag D

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »
So far,  SoulRipper, your work looks very good !

Indeed, as Winter said, it would be a pity not to use Blywulf icons.

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:38 pm »
Please feel free to rip Blywulf's icons out of the proposal JPEGs, by the way, they should be salvageable and most of them were really good.

They do look good but you don't want to be ripping them out of the jpeg.  Surely the originals are available somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:55:24 pm by freegamer »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »
That's the problem. Blywulf has them, and he's dropped out of the world.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 02:23:40 pm »
It also exists the work of RaXaR
* http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=1648.msg8868
* http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=1594.msg8415
maybe we can use something, not only for the main menu.

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 03:54:53 pm »
That's the problem. Blywulf has them, and he's dropped out of the world.

The forum admins have access to his email address.  Have you tried emailing him?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 03:56:46 pm »
Uh, we ARE the forum admins. Of course we tried mailing him. Lots of times. He just isn't responding.

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 05:15:53 pm »
This weekend i'll probably have some time to spare, so i will try to look what i can use and what not from the other people who did some work on the gui too. But overall, it's bad to mix up different styles. It would be best if i did some tutorials, or at least made some source files for people to modify, so all the graphics in the game (or at least some of them) can be kept coherent.