project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: GUI - 2.2.3 dev gui revamp  (Read 15652 times)

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
GUI - 2.2.3 dev gui revamp
« on: October 17, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
As i've read your open for suggestions regarding some new design for the bit dusty GUI graphics, so here comes one of them. I tried to spice it up a bit, also, i didn't exactly like the 2.2.3 development version UI which was aligned to the right side of the screen, so i changed it to resemble the 2.2 design.

Anyway, those issues are not a problem right now, i'm rather curious what you think about the graphical style in general. Here are two screenshots ilustrating my design on the geoscape menu. For now this is the only screen that i changed, and not all elements are done yet, also, please bear with the mess of old buttons i left there  ;).

The first screenshot "screencap1.png" was taken in-game, in the left bottom corner of the screen is the Description element of the menu (it didn't have enough space with the default 2.2.3 dev menu) which already works fine. In the top right corner is the info screen with credits, time, date, and the timelapse buttons (those already work too). Beneath that are three buttons intended for (from left to right) Eventlog, borders and radar range (not in working condition yet).

Also, i noticed that the more finer elements of my graphics get distorted when i put them in-game (i suspect because of resizing), that's why i attached the second screenshot "project1.png" with the original graphic showing how it's supposed to look.

Anyway, it's just a proposition for now, so... what do you people think about it? Constructive criticism is welcome ofcourse.

Here are the files

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:01:08 pm by Mattn »

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: GUI - 2.2.3 dev gui revamp
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:39:56 pm »
I like the bottom left box with the information about the current ship

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:55:34 pm »
Looks nice - To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the current development GUI where everything is on the right, and IMO there was something I grew tired of with the old GUI from stable releases as well.  Even if this doesn't replace the GUI, this might be nice as a choice in the game options menu that the player could use if they wanted it.

What would be really nice is if alternate GUIs were more customizable, choice of fonts, color schemes, etc.  Not being a coder I don't know how much of a headache that would be for the programmers.

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »
Well, for now i'll just try to finish the first geoscape screen. Later we'll see if there is need to redo the rest of the screens in the game too.

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:06:40 pm »
just in case you missed these two wiki articles:

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/GUI_comment
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI

I think this looks interesting, lower left "info" screen would have more place than actual on the right side (e.g. german translations are wrapped more than once)

Drag D

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:29:57 am »
While SoulRipper's effort is a solid one i think that the proposal from here : http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI looks more stylish  .

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:20:50 am »
I agree with Drag D. It also more easy to implement it with resisable window.

pielroja

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:01 am »
The UI proposals in  http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI  look nice as well as more manageable than those of the 2.2.1 version. Just two little comments about them here.

1."Basescape" UI. Could you also display the remaining free room for new recruits in the upper-left corner? Maybe including the total figure of current recruits just beside the "PERSONNEL" header, while adding a text line named "BASE CAPACITY" or something similar to display the current total room of the base (being placed in the "base name" box, in the "personnel" box or as a different boxt located between both of them). Or maybe an alternative way...

2. "Research" UI. Would it be possible to indicate the total laboratory room in each base? Perhaps including a new icon (for example, a microscope) to identify this figure, at the same height than the names of the bases, and at the right of the two already existing icons with figures?

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 04:12:06 pm »
The UI proposals in  http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI  look nice as well as more manageable than those of the 2.2.1 version. Just two little comments about them here.

1."Basescape" UI. Could you also display the remaining free room for new recruits in the upper-left corner? Maybe including the total figure of current recruits just beside the "PERSONNEL" header, while adding a text line named "BASE CAPACITY" or something similar to display the current total room of the base (being placed in the "base name" box, in the "personnel" box or as a different boxt located between both of them). Or maybe an alternative way...

2. "Research" UI. Would it be possible to indicate the total laboratory room in each base? Perhaps including a new icon (for example, a microscope) to identify this figure, at the same height than the names of the bases, and at the right of the two already existing icons with figures?

From what i've seen it shoudn't be that hard pielroja, actually i already thought about that. And if i ever make it to the base and research UI's then i'll probably put that stuff on the screen. It's just a matter of knowing the right variables and displaying them.

I agree with Drag D. It also more easy to implement it with resisable window.

I think resizable windows is gonna be hard to do no matter how the GUI looks, unless they are boxes filled with one color. So i don't know if it woudn't be a better idea to use the limited coding manpower for more important tasks like fixing bugs or adding new content to UFO:AI.

While SoulRipper's effort is a solid one i think that the proposal from here : http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Proposals/New_UI looks more stylish  .

Yeah, i know what you mean, i like them too. Although thats exactly why i picked a different approach. In my opinion stylish glossy menu's and stuff like that look good on webpages, but for me, a game GUI, especially a Sci-Fi one should be heavy. And i also noticed that lot's of professional game productions stick with that attitude too. When designing i was keeping in mind GUI's like in these games:
Dawn of War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gallactic Civilizations and a couple more.
Look up em' screenshots on google from those games if you like.

On another note, from what i've read, for now everything is mostly just propositions. Is there some wiki page or other place where somebody wrote down some guidelines for designing those UI's? I mean something like:

"1. In the future menu's are intented to be resizable, keep that in mind when designing
 2. Window's and pop-ups are intented to be draggable in the future.
 3. [Ideas about the general preffered style]"

I know beggars can't be choosers, but writing up some preferences really helps the artists. I don't know who, but somebody already wrote that somewhere on the forum.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:16:02 pm by SoulRipper »

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:01 pm »
It's reminiscent of the Syndicate Wars UI (which was one of the nicest UIs I ever encountered in a game).

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:50:56 am »
Let me just note that the new UI on the wiki is the one that we're intending to use for future versions of UFO:AI. The only problem is that the creator (Blywulf) has gone AWOL without giving us his source files. A lot of hard work and thought has gone into Blywulf's UI, though, and we're not really considering using anything much different from it in the main game.

If you really want to do something useful for a new UI, SoulRipper, please try recreating Blywulf's files with layers and transparency intact. That would be a big big help in getting the UI updated sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Ryan

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 03:12:04 pm »
I think resizable windows is gonna be hard to do no matter how the GUI looks, unless they are boxes filled with one color. So i don't know if it woudn't be a better idea to use the limited coding manpower for more important tasks like fixing bugs or adding new content to UFO:AI.
Resizable window is not so hard, but constraint the design.

But, i dont talk about allowing the user to change the size of a window (which need a GUI architecture UFOAI dont own), but to a developper to use the contrainted size he need. For the moment UFO:AI are very dependant of the texture (nothing is (easily) resizable), that why thing change, but need a lot of work.

Offline SoulRipper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 03:47:13 am »
I'll see what i can do Winter, if i get the time.

btw: I hope it's alright if i don't make a 100% copy of it, but instead apply some of my own touch. Ofcourse i'll try to keep it similar to the original.

btw2: Are these windows supposed to be scalable or not? Would be good to know now i suppose.

edit: Hmmm, i came up with something like this on the spur of the moment. Would something along those lines be acceptable, or is this overkill? As long as windows are not supposed to be scalable it would be a piece of cake to make this work, with scalable windows it would require a bit of tweaking though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:45:39 am by SoulRipper »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 12:10:03 pm »
I think they needn't be "scalable" by the user ingame, though it would be good if their dimensions would be editable in a script. You'd still need to provide graphics that can handle being stretched/tiled/otherwise lenghtened, but you wouldn't have to do it on the fly.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:32 pm »
Yes, echoing what BTAxis said, the windows won't need to be resized on the fly, only in scripts. They will however be moveable and transparent in order to give the player the biggest and most open view of the game.

Regards,
Winter