project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Never modelled but want to learn. Need some direction  (Read 3739 times)

Offline OldMan88

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Never modelled but want to learn. Need some direction
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:01 am »
Hi all,

I'm doing an engineering degree and have actually modelled 2 items before (using Pro E Wildfire), but I can't use that program at home (and doubt it would support .md2).

So I have almost zero experience and am looking for some pointers:

a: A relatively easy-to-use program that supports md2 (and I don't need a license for). It also needs to support Mac OS X 10.4

and

b: A suggestion for which model I should try to make first for the project, but obviously at this point not one that is urgent.

Love the game and want to help make it feel complete.

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Never modelled but want to learn. Need some direction
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:15:49 am »
I started modelling with Blender. At the beginning it is quit confusing with all the controls. But if you get used to it, it is easy to model something. There are also quite many tutorials around concerning almost everything you can do with blender.

Unfortunately I dont have any skills in other modeling programs... So I just can tell you about Blender: Difficult to learn, enormous variety of possibilities and good support.

Thats my impression.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:14 am »
I use Truespace 5.1 (older versions are free, I think 8.0 is out now, but I like 5.1 the best..has a very clean GUI)
AND
3D Max 7.1

To help out you don't actually need to do everything. Yo ucan make a model in some other format rather than .md2 and then just pass it along for someone else to convert. Just FYI.

Offline OldMan88

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:33:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have to go with Blender because a quick search hasn't turned up any support for truespace running natively in OS X.

I'll try out some tutorials and unless someone suggest a model to make I'll try an interesting sounding one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:41:05 pm by OldMan88 »

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:36:43 pm »
Try some animal the project is on heavy needs of them

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »
I've been slowly working on making new aliens in bits and pieces (which still aren't finished yet), the game could certainly use some new alien races, IMO.