project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Searching translators  (Read 139183 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Searching translators
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2009, 07:26:24 am »
i would like to translate in latvian, but my language has many diacritic ē;š;ī marks; does the game engine support display of such items?

yes - but i'm not sure whether the font we are using supports it. but you can integrate custom fonts in case it its supported.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2009, 11:24:00 am »
i was looking for basic instructions, yet the page was emty:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Translating

I remember that page had content before... Maybe NineX did some mistake when cleaned up the wiki...

also, i have just downloaded the ufoai-en.po file too
as far as i understand, i need to load it into poedit and change the character properties to represent my native language;

I would suggest a clean start from ufoai.pot. Download & select 'new catalog from pot file' menu in poedit.

The texts like 'mail_prolog' and 'something_txt' are placeholders they should be translated on the wiki.

-geever

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2009, 10:28:42 pm »
i was translating some of the wiki texts to estonian, but having tried the estonian language setting in some dev version, it really made me quite furious just looking at the first menu, and i didn't get past the initial screen before i changed to english.

for example, ms office translated to estonian, i think it is meant to harass elderly people who are suggested estonian version of, say, ms office, like my mother, and when they sometimes run into problems with it the translated terminology is not very helpful to them and i also cannot help them as long as the language is estonian.

i would like to read at least one explanation why estonian translation is so nice from an estonian ufo-ai player that plays the game in estonian.

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2009, 09:57:29 pm »
I tried to correct some on this bad Estonian translation, but its quite big. There are so-so many things not yet translated and strange ways that translation has been made before - someone has added numbers to names of weapons for example. I'm willing to help to make it better as I have experience as working journalist and have studied humanitarian arts in college, so on language part I'm at least partially competent.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »
it does not matter how nice the translation is, etc, of course making a nice translation will give some feeling of satisfaction : )
the problem is that, as far as i understand, estonian translation is unnecessary, and if someone tries to play the game in estonian, it will be annoying for him.
myself i hate computer gui-s translated to estonian, and all the people i know who have said their opinion about gui-s in estonian, they feel the same.

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:41 pm »
Take it easy! I know we - Estonian computer minded people - are too used to using computers in English, but games (particulary UFO:AI) have so much not computer related text that I think its nice to have games translated. By my opinion translation is not needed for everyday applications but there are also people who need it. For example my mother is German language teacher and her English is not so good, she is using Linux with translated GUI for 3 years now and its better so. Its much better to have Estonian GUI for older people who are not used to using computers. Some people are even making special distribution of Linux for Estonia - Estobuntu - modified Ubuntu. Okay, its not only for translation propose but also for adding ID-card support for banking and using different services, I know. We - Estonians - are lucky that our language is more using international words, localized forms of English words and so on. Poor Finnish have everything translated fully and it makes understanding quite tough, I know its preserving language better, but I dont care so much about national things.

Quality of Estonian translation of UFO AI is disturbing me when I install it on my Ubuntu laptop, so I even worked on translation to make it better. Okay, I can choose English as default language, but default is Estonian because local settings.

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »
Okay, I updated again Estonian .po file - here is public link - http://files.getdropbox.com/u/75508/ufoai-et.po

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2009, 06:30:06 pm »
please use our patch tracker for patches - you had luck that i've seen this

commited to trunk - thanks

Offline Erkronos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2009, 12:11:31 am »
I can translated into Turkish. Just tell me where can I find the poEdit files.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:56 am »

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2009, 07:29:09 pm »
Hello,

Must we use Poedit in order to do translations? or can we simply modify the .txt file with the required strings?

By the way i am going to do the Spanish translations and see if I can get all 100% of it done with in the next month.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
yes - use a po file editor please - the encoding is important.

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2009, 03:29:50 am »
Hello,

I have a small issue.

Looking into the translation of the file with Poedit the system seems to limit the text to line 15000 i however looking at the doc with a different editor see that document goes up to line 17424.

I mean is no big issue i can still do the translation.

Another small issue and maybe is not an issue at all is that every time i save the doc poedit tell me there are  errors

21:27:47: ...\Desktop\ufoai-es.po:17386: end-of-line within string
21:27:47: ...\Desktop\ufoai-es.po:17386:5: syntax error
21:27:47: ...\Desktop\ufoai-es.po:17387: end-of-line within string

maybe someone can give me an insight. I have checked the lines and i see nothing wrong with it.

Offline Erkronos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
I am having problems in using PoEdit software. Whenever I open PoEdit is shows me an error message but that the program works. After translating several parts of the file, I press save then another error message pops up. When I click OK the translations gets deleted, only the uncomplete translations are left. What can I do to prevent this fatal error? By the way I am running this program on Windows 7 (which I am guessing that compatibility is the problem).

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2009, 01:19:09 pm »
damn, why do you not tell what exactly erroe messages was? I use POEditor with W7 and have not any problems.