project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Great project!  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Great project!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 07:13:19 am »
I noticed that the wiki has 3D Engine Switch as one of the TODO items, proposing Ogre or Crystalspace. Would either of those allow for destructible terrain?

Keep in mind that this will not happen in the next years - we put a lot of work into our current engine and we will evolve it even more. it's far more advanced than the stock q2 - and we even updated our renderer (see www.quake2world.com).

the engine switch is something i don't really want and i don't really see the point... but that's another topic and must not be discussed here.

Mustang

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 01:19:38 am »
Destructible terrain.  Meh.  Marginal benefits for a ton of work.  Very rarely in real life is it tactically beneficial to blow up a hill to get at a person behind it.  You're better off figuring out tactics that get you into a better position, and remember, if you blow something up on your turn, it opens up the enemy to use that space to his advantage on the next.

Anyway, not sidetracking for that issue, just wanted to echo in on the title and OP.  Great game, and still want to keep my thanks going to you guys for keeping the project going.  Really looking forward to 2.3.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 05:08:51 am »
Yeah, mattn is the only guy who hates it, really.

Then why can't we out-vote him on the issue?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »
Because he's the boss. Remember, the internet isn't a democracy.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 12:29:49 pm »
Yep, Mattn doesn't want it, therefore it's not going in. It's not up for a vote. We work together with give and take based on our areas of expertise, not some kind of free-for-all that would screw up any decision-making process beyond words.

In my view, destructible terrain isn't particularly necessary in a game like UFO:AI --  but I do like the idea of hard and soft cover, having certain surfaces allow bullets or blasts through in a limited way, mediating their damage and/or flight path. It'd be nice to figure out the viability of that idea.

Regards,
Winter

Aarontu

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 04:09:07 am »
In my view, destructible terrain isn't particularly necessary in a game like UFO:AI --  but I do like the idea of hard and soft cover, having certain surfaces allow bullets or blasts through in a limited way, mediating their damage and/or flight path. It'd be nice to figure out the viability of that idea.

Regards,
Winter

Some soft cover that certain weapon types could penetrate would be very cool. Are decals possible with the game's engine? If destroying a wall isn't possible, maybe scorched or bullet-ridden decal textures could be stuck onto walls that are hit by weapons. It would make it look like terrain was somewhat destructible, anyway. Combine that with the 'soft cover' concept and it may be the next best thing to actual destructible terrain.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 09:03:22 am »
Some soft cover that certain weapon types could penetrate would be very cool. Are decals possible with the game's engine? If destroying a wall isn't possible, maybe scorched or bullet-ridden decal textures could be stuck onto walls that are hit by weapons. It would make it look like terrain was somewhat destructible, anyway. Combine that with the 'soft cover' concept and it may be the next best thing to actual destructible terrain.

I think decals are possible but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone?

Regards,
Winter

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 12:16:28 pm »
I think we've already got them.

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 03:22:19 pm »
I think destructible terrain is pointless.  However, destructible objects are not.  Powerful weapons should disintegrate wooden fences etc.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 03:49:19 pm »
Same difference.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 10:23:32 pm »
freegamer, although I am somewhat neutral on this, I think what is possible in reallife should be possible in a game environment as well.
I agree on balancing issues etc... to not simulate 100%, but whenever I see any object in game, I think it should be destroyable in principle.
Whether it makes sense or not should not matter, it would simply be fun to explode half of an area ingame, and watch at the new area
afterwards... BURN baby BURN! ;)