project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Great project!  (Read 9561 times)

roboticman

Great project!
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:59:51 pm »
Just wanted to tell you that the game is extremely promising, I manage an IT consultancy and wanted to let you know that you have a little diamond here (just needs shaping, but the diamond is there).

The gameplay is interesting, the storyline (as far as I have advanced) seems compelling, and it is the first game to really understand what was great about UFO enemy unknown.

As outstanding features I would raise first person perspective and the variety on weapons, I thought that 3d would never be a good alternative to isometric 2D but changed my mind after seeing how you play with the camera.

Stability seems good, remember always to keep stability as good as you can, even if you are keeping some features not available on the release version. And about guys telling you how to work on SVN (WTF of an argument), or not reading about destructible terrain issues… screw them!.

Keep up the good job , two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 02:02:17 pm by roboticman »

Amtep

Re: Great project!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:09:32 pm »
Have you already seen the first person view you get with the 'v' key? It's great for figuring out whether you can shoot an alien through a window.

(Maybe this mode needs a UI button, like a little 'sniper sight' icon)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:01:37 pm »
He did point out he liked the FPV, so I'd say he has.

roboticman

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 03:52:43 pm »
He did point out he liked the FPV, so I'd say he has.

lol. yep! :D.

After publishing that I read that someone suggested taking out that feature  ???, taking out features is not good business most of the times, especially when there is yet a lot to add, only my two cents of course.

Amtep

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 04:02:32 pm »
Oh ok. I thought "outstanding feature" meant "feature still outstanding", that is, not implemented yet :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »
After publishing that I read that someone suggested taking out that feature

No, actually that's mattn, who's crusading against it. And since he's the boss, that's pretty much all she wrote. He wants to supplant it by a 3d person view that prevents any ceiling surfaces from being visible.

roboticman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »
No, actually that's mattn, who's crusading against it. And since he's the boss, that's pretty much all she wrote. He wants to supplant it by a 3d person view that prevents any ceiling surfaces from being visible.

I think the first person view gives an immersion in the game worth having, and I hate first person shooters.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:35:33 pm »
Yeah, mattn is the only guy who hates it, really.

Offline Ebenezer Grymm

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 02:38:54 am »
The 1st person view is really good when you want to use it.  I can see taking out features that are game breaking or consume too many game resources, but the ability to use a 1st person view is neither.  It's just a camera angle.  Please keep.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 07:22:52 am »
He wants to supplant it by a 3d person view that prevents any ceiling surfaces from being visible.

see the other thread please - i don't want to discuss this over and over again - the game is not made for fpv, it's optimized for birds view and thus some stuff might be invisible (walls in rooms and so on, when you enter fpv). That's why it must be removed or better replaced by something better.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:12:15 pm »
or not reading about destructible terrain issues… screw them!.

Keep up the good job , two thumbs up.

its only noticeable your life has never depended on the kind of cover you were sitting behind... There is a large tactical difference between being behind a wooden fence (light to no cover) and being behind 10 feet of concrete...

When bullets start flying and grenades and other nasties in the night.. and youve been there.. you might understand how important the terrain destruction is... thats not even going into the concussion properties of explosions or bullets flying so close to your head you can hear the wizzes... even though you are half deaf from no ear protection...

After you've been in a firefight or two you'll realize how damned important hardened cover is and you might agree with myself and others that pressed the point

HOWEVER, you are right this game does give you some appreciation of how awesome XCOM was.... and it is a diamond no doubt about that...

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 04:11:39 pm »
Darkpriest we know that too... but we would have already changed it if it would be that easy...

Amtep

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »
I noticed that the wiki has 3D Engine Switch as one of the TODO items, proposing Ogre or Crystalspace. Would either of those allow for destructible terrain?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:20 am »
Please do not turn this thread into another destructible terrain discussion.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:55:55 am »
i know its the quake engine.. the game is a diamond no doubt.. I voted for it 2 times and ive played a lot of games through sourceforge and others... Its still my favorite and even unfinished i still find myself coming back to it.. I love it :-p dont misunderstand me :-p