project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Quick easy question.  (Read 3910 times)

Offline cypher

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Quick easy question.
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:02:45 am »
I am just enjoyed finishing UFO alien invasion for the first time and it was good, then I realised what would make it more enjoyable for me, more everything.

Anyway my quick easy question is, how can I edit the game to

A: increase enemies on maps x10
B: increase dropship size x10
C: increase starting soldiers and soldiers provided by countries x10

My version is 2.2.1 windows.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Quick easy question.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
A: increase enemies on maps x10

No. Enemies on maps are limited to 8 in 2.2.x. I think there can be more in 2.3 though.

B: increase dropship size x10

Again no. The soldier count is currently fixed at 8 max. The plan is to expand this, but not to more than 12 or so. Also, both soldier and alien counts depend on the amount of starting positions on the maps. If you wanted 50 soldiers in a mission you would first have to edit ALL maps to contain at least 50 start positions.

C: increase starting soldiers and soldiers provided by countries x10

I don't know. If it's scripted, maybe.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:40:13 pm »
....I think there can be more in 2.3 though.....

i don't think so ;)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:46:28 pm »
Oh, okay. We want to have more though!

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 01:02:46 am »
@Mattn:
Is that restriction to 8
a) a matter of extending several menues (HUD, base menues,..., and some #define) OR
b) something buried deep down in the core of the engine ??

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:09:16 am »
I just finished a mission in which I killed 10 aliens on an African village map.

I'm totally tantalized by what you're saying about expansion. This game is SUCH a chess game, I just can't express how amazing it is. The very idea of expanding its scope only whets my appetite that it could become even more epic!

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
On one of the earlier 2.3.x versions I kept getting repeated 'Alien terror mission in cold industrial' as the only missions for a good two or three months. They usually had 20+ aliens on them. I got to the point where I expected to lose at least two soldiers per mission.

I think there was something in that version that spawned every enemy start point available. Always had one in plain sight by the dropship nose, one in a ruined hut, three or four on the high roof, three on the low roof, at least four in the factory, and about four or five on the other side of the building by the alien fighter. I learned a lot from that run.

Best bit was getting the 'cold industrial' map in the middle of Africa tho.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:42:45 am »
I actually dont want to control that many soldiers (i am speaking of lets say 20 soldiers),  especially not with the
current system where i have to control each one individually to click where he has to walk to (rather than, say
select a subgroup of 3 guys to move to the same area) , and I also dont want to have 100 enemy aliens ...
i already have a lot of problems with the existing aliens, dont want 100 armed with alien plasma stuff
in a single mission ;)

However one point I think might be valid is the size of some maps. Personally I would not mind if some maps
would be larger - be it by bigger buildings, or by slightly longer ways to move, walk, hide etc...
Not talking about huge maps here, but a little increase i would not mind, especially for "town" maps

Might be an element of strategic fun, i.e. aliens hiding in a huge town library. Would be a rather straight
forward map too :-)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:44:24 am by shevegen »