project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How are Heavy Weapons incorportated into squad tactics?  (Read 36814 times)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: How are Heavy Weapons incorportated into squad tactics?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 07:57:01 pm »
Sounds like it though I have little experience coding. The flashbangs are cool enough.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 04:38:43 pm »
I don't think so. Sounds like a needlessly complicated game rule.

this is where programming overrules realism..... realistically suppression fire is not needless nor complicated... in fact.... its  a very basic principle of firearm combat and very important when you are in a firefight... the general rule is to keep your opponent(s) pinned down while your team moves in for the kill.... people especially the untrained tend to be very distracted while a wave of bullets is flying at them.

Offline SharkD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »
Reading the thread from the beginning, I didn't realize SMGs were so useful. I've always used MGs, and they've always been the next most effective units after snipers.  :-\

Surrealistik

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 07:23:56 pm »
Coilgun is now king.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »
Yeah the coil gun is sick! It makes the bolter rifle useless in my opinion. Far too quickly because of production time.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 09:59:04 pm »
I've loved the coilgun ever since it was first put into the trunk.

Talk about speaking softly and carrying a big "boom stick..."

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07:12 pm »
Yeah i use only two coil guns right now, maybe I should look into a 50-50 mix instead. The only human weapon I never seem to use now is the shotgun. I always have at least one mg and now i no longer replace the mg with a heavy laser (i take the laser too) so that is a lot of fire power.

odie

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:07 am »
Coilgun is now king.

Yeah the coil gun is sick! It makes the bolter rifle useless in my opinion. Far too quickly because of production time.

Yeah i use only two coil guns right now, maybe I should look into a 50-50 mix instead. The only human weapon I never seem to use now is the shotgun. I always have at least one mg and now i no longer replace the mg with a heavy laser (i take the laser too) so that is a lot of fire power.

Well, i believe what we have here are simply opinions and good feedbacks that will go towards helping to balance these weapons.

Perhaps i will open a new thread on this.... ok, i will....
Here it is.

Offline Troberg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 04:34:03 pm »
My mixed thoughts on the different weapon classes:

* Heavy weapons. Made to lay down a heavy rain of fire with accuracy, even at distance. The trade-off is weight and mobility. Good for defense of strong points. My suggestion: Make them powerful, but wildly inaccurate if fired while standing. If fired crouched (which is as close to prone as we get), very accurate. Also, make it cheap in TU's when crouched.

* Sniper guns. Not much more powerful than any other rifle if one looks at the ballistics, but add some to the damage anyway, as they do tend to get more accurate hits. The same applies as for heavy weapons, require crouched to be accurate. Relatively expensive in TU's.

* Assault rifle. The jack of all trades. A trade-off between range, mobility and firepower. Gives decent accuracy when standing, decent damage and decent TU usage.

* Submachinegun. The nimble gun, the little brother of the assault rifle. Less damage than an assault rifle, less range. However, more accurate when standing, and uses much less TU's, so it's good for close quarters indoors combat.

* Pistol. Really not very useful if you have a working primary weapon. Quicker (in TU's) than the submachinegun, but less accurate, slower rate of fire, less damage.

* Grenade launcher. To launch lots of firepower at a distance, even lobbing over obstacles. Good when you don't care about accuracy and just want to do much damage to an area. Needs much better range, more powerful ammo (bigger blast), but also needs crouching for good accuracy. Even so, the grenades should not be too accurate, especially not on auto. Give them a nice spread.

* Rocket launcher. Basically, like the sniper, but with more punch and with a big blast. Good to accurately take out tough targets. Slower (more TU's).

* Knife. Seldom used as a weapon, more used as a tool.

* Grenades. Much like the grenade launcher, but with shorter range. Range is even shorter if crouched. They also need to be a bit more powerful.

* Smoke grenades. To cover an advance or retreat. Needs more area and more effective smoke.

Apply these guidelines on alien weapons as well, as applicable.

Note how I've used the standing/crouched as a way to give each weapon their own distinct usage. I know prone is not on the plan at the moment, but it would further enhance the possibilities to make the weapons more different.

In general, make the weapons different, so that your tactics will dictate which weapon to use. Avoid getting stuck in a watered down "everything is the same" balanced system.

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 07:40:40 pm »
Hey all

I've been neglecting heavy weapons with the exception of flame throwers because I cannot find a tactical use for them. The only time that I do use one, is when I cannot find better replacement soldiers with the appropriate skill.

flamethrowers works very good in combat inside buildings usually take alien one hit instead of all other weaps wchich need more hits.

Offline SgtDave

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »
The reason why militaries no longer use [the flamethrower] as much is because [...] its dangerous to allies if flamethrower is hit [...]

This is a late comment, but I just wanted to point out that this is not entirely accurate, though the rest of fuuuu's reasons are pretty right-on. It's mostly Hollywood's fault we think a flamethrower always blows up if it's shot; then again, where Hollywood is concerned, everything blows up if it's shot.

To quote the book Weapons of the WWII Tommy, "It should be noted that flame thrower operators did not usually face a fiery death from the slightest spark or even from having their tank hit by a normal bullet as often depicted in modern war films. The Gas Container [i.e. the pressurizer] is filled with a non-flammable gas that is under high pressure. If this tank were ruptured, it might knock the operator forward as it was expended in the same way a pressurized aerosol can bursts outward when punctured. The fuel mixture in the Fuel Containers is difficult to light which is why magnesium filled igniters are required when the weapon is fired. Fire a bullet into a metal can filled with diesel or napalm and it will merely leak out the hole unless the round was an incendiary type that could possibly ignite the mixture inside. This also applies to the flame thrower Fuel Container."

adre76

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:14 pm »
i think you can use heavy weapons to create a distraction since they only poke the aliens and then get the enemy from its flanks with assaults and snipers, altrough snipers are good to be use on moderate to long range

and fuuuu what if it creates a spark on the canister?if the mix is sensitive then it will blow up... i guess

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »
Heavy weapons (mainly the machine gun) is one of the best weapons in the game. I used it throughout 2.3 because nothing survives the 25 TU long burst. It more than "poking" them a little bit. ;) What you need are > 35 TUs so that you can move crouched a bit, shoot, move back.

Andy

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 08:49:40 am »
and fuuuu what if it creates a spark on the canister?if the mix is sensitive then it will blow up... i guess
Military flamers fired diesel, and that doesn't ignite on a spark.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
Ah, but the flamer in UFOAI doesn't fire diesel or any 'normal' type of flamer-thrower fuel, it fires Compound 90 (C90) air-fuel from a small 200mm canister.

now if you burst one of the canisters... well... your pretty much as good as fuck fucked because as the name suggests, air-fuel ignites on contact to air... well, no, it technically ignites air...

but that still doesn't stop me using flamers as one of my primary weapons in my teams.