project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: No audio ?  (Read 6218 times)

M&M

No audio ?
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:40:50 pm »
I just installed the last RC and there is no audio whatsoever, no game music, no effects for weapons, no nothing. Is that normal ?

I checked the base\music directory and there are 7 files there, all in ogg format. Checked the audio options and they seem to be set properly.

So whats wrong ?

M&M

No audio ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:28:27 am »
I checked the console and this is what appears, seems audio is initialising fine but I'm not hearing anything
Code: [Select]
------- sound initialization -------
Soundsystem: SDL.
SDL audio driver is "dsound".
Bits: 16
Frequency: 22050
Samples: 512
Channels: 2
sound sampling rate: 22050
------------------------------------
CD Audio Initialized
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...could not set to language: en_GB
...could not set to system language
Shared Client/Server Info loaded

Where is autoexec.cfg anyways and is it neccessary ?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:24 am »
Quote from: "M&M"
I Where is autoexec.cfg anyways and is it neccessary ?

No.

If you have Windows, the sound problems are known but not easy to fix. You can try browsing the forum or the wiki...

M&M

No audio ?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:10:25 am »
Alright so to make things clear, I need to download the code for myself and compile the game with direct sound support ? isn't it compiled with dsound already ? Or is that through the SDL layer ?

So far I've only seen talk about the MinGW compiler being used, will Visual Studio's 7.1 compiler work for compiling ? or do I have to download devcpp and get the project compiled with MinGW ?

Also, I'm running an x64 system, do I need to download/compile anything else ?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
No audio ?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:03:51 am »
yes, grab the svn repository (trunk) and compile it yourself. there are vc7 projectfiles in the svn, too - but i think noone has updated them for a long time. there is a possible workaound for this. the projectfiles are xml-based and contains a version string for vc. copy the ufo.vcproj over to ufo_7.vcproj (if this file does not work for you) and edit the version string on line 4 of this file from 8.00 to 7.00. Please report back whether this work - or create a new patchtracker item with the vc7 projectfiles (keep in mind, that this have to be done for the game.vcproj and ref_gl.vcproj, too)

currently sound is using sdl layer - but this is broken. on the long run the directx code should be "removed" (will stay, but permantly deactivated) - due to portability reasons. There is also a mingw quake2 version available on sourceforge.net which uses win32 api calls to produce sound. no directx. this is imaginable, too. but - someone with a win system have to do this to test it back.

we will change the sound layout to dynamic libs on the long run, which means you can exchange the libs as you want. (like for opengl-renderer)

M&M

No audio ?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 05:18:52 am »
alright then, seems simple enough. I'll give it a try and report back if it works.

Offline noob

• Rookie
  • http://tinyurl.com/68elb57 >>x-com style models<<
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 04:34:55 pm »
can somobody post normal fixed exe? or its too difficult :(

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:24:36 pm »
You would need several files, not only exe. And then you would need to put them in proper directories and not make a mistake... Better wait for RC4. I think it's close...

Offline noob

• Rookie
  • http://tinyurl.com/68elb57 >>x-com style models<<
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
i already recompiled it myself =)
you can easyly use src from rc 3.0, not dll compilation needed

M&M

No audio ?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:13:36 am »
well, my pc had a major f*ckup a few days ago. My harddrive somehow got filled with badsectors and alot of data was corrupted. So I won't be able to build up the project until I fix my PC. It'll probably be at least a week or more before I can get everything back in order. However once I do, I could get the project compiled then upload the exe and anything else needed.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 12:51:49 pm »
Sorry to hear that...

There are some preliminary xdelta files on some other forum topic. You can dl RC3 and try the xdelta files when your computer is sound again.

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »
"If you have Windows, the sound problems are known but not easy to fix"

You gotta be kiddin' me!
Sound worked from the very first demo on!
How can it not work now on a "Release Candidate"?!?!?!

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 12:45:41 am »
Have you heard about progress?

No? How about DOS 3.3 -> DOS 6.0 -> WIN 3.1 -> WIN 95?

:D

warpmaster

Sound problems...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 12:11:56 pm »
Hi all guys

It's my first post here, so i present me  :) My nick is warpmaster and im fan of strategyc games, since X-Com.

I have installed AI 2.0-RC3. I want to congratulate the graphic designers of the play, the geoscape is genial. But i have a problem with sound. Doesn't exists.
I have downloaded the .exe version (for Windows), and i have a 32 bits cpu. I don't know if this problem has solution in Windows of the uncle Billy.

What can i do?

Bye and thanks!

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
No audio ?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 07:27:20 pm »
Perhaps try the xdelta file by v29a... Or wait for RC4 (shouldn't be long).